Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy leaking front marker lights

Its been heavy downpour last 2 days in sunny canada and found that the front roof marker lights are letting in water nice puddle on the dash
Can I just caulk around the edges between the f/glass and lamp ? or is there a seal of some sort that can be installed
92 itasca suncruiser
snoopydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Most do have a seal under the fixture ...dealer told me I could not buy the seal alone. I check/recaulk around my clearance lights twice a year. I also sealed the screws and then the screw heads inside the pop-off lens/covers as the screw holes are where the water gets through the roof. That has prevented water from getting inside at least once when I found one fixture half filled with water.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Given the age of your coach it's also possible that there are hairline cracks in the plastic of the lights themselves. I'm in the process of replacing mine for same reason you mention; I get raindrops coming down the inside of my windshield! LOL
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
doc
Winnebago Owner

If the lights themselves are not cracked and you cannot find a gasket, I suggest this. Eternabond makes a double sided tape. Tape the entire area where the light will sit. Place the light and attach it. Then take an exacto type knife and carefully trim the Ebond on the outside of the footprint of the light. Sealed!!
Obviously I am a believer in the Ebond tape and it's ability to keep water out of things that should remain dry.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

mine were also leaking and a small crack near the edge of the leans and they had a hard clear sealer around them from the factory so i sealed them up and now no leaks
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #6

If the lens is good pull them up and put silicone down. The only hole should be where the wire comes through. Let it squeeze out and wipe around the light.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We also used sealer around ours. Even if you could find or make gaskets they would be extremely difficult to install. On our coach the lights are held in place with screws from the inside. You have to take out the television and half of the front cabinetry just to get to them. Even if you go through all that work there's no gaurantee they won't crack when you try to remove them.

I used tub and surround sealer from Menards because I had it for another job. It is somewhat self leveling and dries clear. I had to touch it with a probe to even know it was there once it dried.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

thanks you are right you have to spend 4 hours taking stuff down to get to the inside will seal from outside with caulking when the sun returns and then check inside as I have ripped the whole front panels out before putting it all back together
snoopydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Did you try to get the gaskets from Winnebago? I bought some from them a few months ago only to find that the wiring for my lights come down from the top of the light so the whole area would have to fill up in order for water to come in. I did find a small whole in the seal around the cb antenna and one of the am/fm rubber duckey antennaes on the roof. Try this:

WebCD Web Service Parts Catalog
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I use to have a coach similar to yours, a 1993 Adventurer, and put clear packaging tape over the recessed front clearance lights that were leaking. Of course, this was only a temporary fix, but it kept the rain water out. It could have become a permanent fix, as I had a real hard time trying to get the tape off later.
CalifCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #11

If the lens is cracked put a bead of super glue on the crack. That will seal that and you don't have to take them apart.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights