Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I am planning to install a LCD TV in the hole where my Sony TV is presently installed. I want to install the LCD on a extension arm that will allow the LCD to extend and swivel. It also needs to lock in place so the TV won't move when traveling. I have found several extension brackets but none that have a locking mechanism. Has anyone seen a bracket that locks?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am planning to install a LCD TV in the hole where my Sony TV is presently installed. I want to install the LCD on a extension arm that will allow the LCD to extend and swivel. It also needs to lock in place so the TV won't move when traveling. I have found several extension brackets but none that have a locking mechanism. Has anyone seen a bracket that locks?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When I installed an LCD TV on a swivel bracket I also modified the cabinet assembly (the LCD TV was too big to fit into the TV hole) so I put four little decorative corner pieces on the cabinet (lined with felt to prevent TV case damage) to hold the TV in place. The swivel mount I bought was about $200 and still didn't tighten up enough to keep from moving while we were on the road.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'll be interested in following this discussion. One of the ideas on the long wish list is to install a new LCD TV up front but fit it outside the existing cabinet so as to allow a bigger screen size. Wasn't sure a bracket would hold it well enough for travel.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have just started the process of replacing the front Sony TV. I have been looking around for a while but could not find a 32" LCD TV with the correct width (31.5" or less) to fit.

I finally found one that fits (Sharp). It does not fit within the wood fascia but has the exact same width as the wood fascia's external dimensions and fits within the height of the existing opening. I intend to cut the sides of the existing wood fascia to the outline of the TV fascia. It should then fit flush and within the current TV cabinet and rest on the existing wooden fascia. I am not sure that I trust only the mount to support the TV. Not with roads like I-10 in Louisiana.

It is the best solution that I could come up with, without major cabinet modifications.
The TV also has fixed (and variable) audio outputs, so I can connect it to the external amplifier for the surround system.

I think the hardest part is going to be the disassembly part and to lock the new LCD TV in place. As such I am also interested in possible locking mechanisms.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The TV also has fixed audio outputs, so I can connect it to the external amplifier for the surround system.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure that the audio output on the TV is controllable with respect to volume. I installed a Sanyo LCD expecting to use the audio output to our existing Surround Sound 5.1 system. Not possible. The audio output on the TV is expected to go to a home theatre system with separate volume control (and mute). I still haven't solved the problem although I'm thinking I may have to add an amplifier and wire the existing speaker system into it. Still scratchin' my head over this one.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

After searching forever for a matching 20 inch for the back bedroom I bought a 23 in...readily available and reasonably priced....$159.....I attached it to the back of the cabinet wall with an extendable swiveling mount from Target....$99....it was made to hold a 32 inch tv and has an adjustment to take away most of the movement I use velcro to put it back against wall while moving seems to work fine Jim k
Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Make sure that the audio output on the TV is controllable with respect to volume. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JB

You are right about not wanting a fixed volume output. I meant to say that it has a variable audio output. Actually it has both fixed or variable, which is selectable throught a setup menu. I was aware of this issue.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Here is a thread on the Monaco forum that looks like what you might want to do.

LCD Installation
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have emailed several Internet companies that sell TV wall brackets. I have yet to find a bracket that will lock in place. I still think someone makes this type bracket.

I want to install my LCD recessed into the cavity that the Sony CRT TV occupied. The LCD could extend to be flush with the cabinet moulding. The LCD could be swiveled to allow storage behind the TV. I would need the LCD wall bracket to either lock when collapsed or when extended.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JB Texas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The TV also has fixed audio outputs, so I can connect it to the external amplifier for the surround system.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure that the audio output on the TV is controllable with respect to volume. I installed a Sanyo LCD expecting to use the audio output to our existing Surround Sound 5.1 system. Not possible. The audio output on the TV is expected to go to a home theatre system with separate volume control (and mute). I still haven't solved the problem although I'm thinking I may have to add an amplifier and wire the existing speaker system into it. Still scratchin' my head over this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about a line level controller?
http://www.hometech.com/audio/linevol.html
there was another place with a cheaper version...but I can't find the website right now.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

LandHo,
That is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

This post has been somewhat hijacked. The original message was about LCD TV mounting brackets, not audio connections.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

LK23:
Not sure why you want to put a bracket that extends since you want to mount it behind the Wood Trim and therefore do not need the flexibility it provides. Take a look at my post that shows pictures of my install of a Sony Bravia LCD with a fixed bracket. Unless I missed something in your posts, I think this approach should work.
Frank O.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JB Texas:
LandHo,
That is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for the heads up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

found another one. much cheaper.
http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=5
item n-22v
Old 04-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

FrankO,

I was hoping to use the large empty area behind the TV for storage. If I mount the LCD permanently flush with the wood trim, the area behind the TV is wasted space. Plus I would occasionally like to swivel the LCD towards the kitchen.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I missed that part of the equation.
Frank O.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was hoping to use the large empty area behind the TV for storage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LK,
You will probably loose most of the space anyway. I just removed the existing Sony today and there is quite a bit of space behind it. However in order to mount an extension arm you will have to install a board inside the current metal TV housing. That metal housing does not go back all the way on the sides and also has large openings in it. The arms that I have looked at are not all that long and will stress things to much when they are extended out unless you support the LCD TV on the bottom. I had hoped to also use that space behind the TV but I may have to reconsider that option after looking at what I found when I removed the old TV.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Harry B

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am curious to find what is behind the existing Sony TV. Maybe I am being too optimistic to think I can use the space behind the TV. And, the primary objective is to securely install the LCD.