Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #1

I had a beautiful set up with Verizon. I used their Mobile Office program and my phone became the modem for my laptop. It worked great. I had unlimited minutes after 9pm and on weekends. My regular wireless phone bill paid for it all. Verizon pulled the plug on this use. Now if I want to use it I have to pay another $59 a month for a phone card that plugs into my laptop. This is something that I will only use now and then. I am not full time.
Any suggestions??
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #2

I had a beautiful set up with Verizon. I used their Mobile Office program and my phone became the modem for my laptop. It worked great. I had unlimited minutes after 9pm and on weekends. My regular wireless phone bill paid for it all. Verizon pulled the plug on this use. Now if I want to use it I have to pay another $59 a month for a phone card that plugs into my laptop. This is something that I will only use now and then. I am not full time.
Any suggestions??
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I to used Verizon with my laptop last Summer, have not tried it this spring. I think there is a way that they can add data to your voice plan. I have read on the Yahoo InternetByCellPhone group that it should be possible to get it for $59.95 a month. It is said that you can also get it turned on and off monthly.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you get a phone that is data capable, you can have data turned on and off as needed. That is because the modem connection is a feature of the phone rather than a separate service.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We use the Verizon air card for $59.95 a month and love it. We are fulltime. We were parked for about five years and I used a landline but then thought why not drop that and go to an aircard fulltime. I did and it worked perfectly for us giving us internet there but also when we were out the few weekends a month. Now that we are "on the road" all the time it's great.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I can't think of any cheap soltuions for part time cellular Internet access.

I've got Sprint Mobile (Merlin S720) aircard service provided by my company. I can hook it up to my Wilson Cellular Trucker antenna and additional power booster I normally use for my cell phone. With it I've been able to get onto the data network as far 10 even 15 miles from the nearest cell tower.

This said I believe Verizon's overall coverage areas for mobile data are better than Sprint.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You can still use the setup if you DON'T get the V-cass phone... We have the LG VX 5200

After you get the phone you can go on the web like E-bay and get the pigtail and cd for mobil office for almost nothing..We still use the after 9 at night and weekends.....FREE!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I too bought a cord and driver software from ebay. It connects between the cellphone and a usb port. The computer treats it like another modem. I created a 2nd dial-up connection using the cellphone as the default modem. That way you have one icon for POTS and one for the cellphone. The computer doesn't know the difference and neither does Verizon. It's just a phone call to them. I should know...I work for Verizon.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rick_od:
I too bought a cord and driver software from ebay. It connects between the cellphone and a usb port. The computer treats it like another modem. I created a 2nd dial-up connection using the cellphone as the default modem. That way you have one icon for POTS and one for the cellphone. The computer doesn't know the difference and neither does Verizon. It's just a phone call to them. I should know...I work for Verizon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For those of use who aren't too high tech , what would you call this set up. I don't even know what to search for on ebay.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

This was my problem:
"I have a Nokia 6102 phone and data cable CA-42 right from nokia. I would like to use the phone as a wireless modem to connect to my local ISP. I followed the instructions on Nokia website about disabling all PC suite connections and created a new dial up connection through control panel. The phone shows up under phone and modems in control panel and windows has no problem querying the modem. The phone begins dialing but then seems to disconnect immediately. Are there any special settings needed for the phone or windows XP?"

It turned out I had to add a feature (CSD) to my Cingular service. The additional charge per month is $3.99 for this service. It is slow but it will work for us on the road to use the internet.

CSD (Circuit Switch Data)
CSD allows a user to use their wireless handset as a modem for laptops, PDAs and other electronic devices via infrared ports or designated data cables. CSD also allows a user to access Wireless Internet via their wireless handset (handset must be WAP compatible).

Thought I would pass this information along, we spent a few days solving this problem.

I connect with the cell at 9,600. A friend said he connected at 14,400 with his cell two years ago with AT&T.

I have used this connection with my 5,000 min. nights and weekends, because it is real slow. When in a area with WI FI that is so much better

The phone has features I will never use like camara, radio and others. However I do like the Speakerphone feature on the new Nokia 6102 phone.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have used the cell phone connected to my laptop internet connection. It was extremely slow and it burned up my cell phone minutes (Verizon).

Last year I purchased the Verizon Broadband card and connect directly to the Internet. It is MUCH better: faster, more dependable, unlimited minutes and can connect almost anywhere. It is $59.95 a month. I use it at home and dropped my DSL line saving $39.95 a month. You can also purchase a wireless router so the signal can be shared by multiple computers.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

If you get a data capable phone, the charge for unlimited data thru that phone is about $40/mo and can be turned on and off as a phone feature. I have a Motorola Q Phone and the phone comes with a USB to connect to a computer cable and is itself capable of email and WEB browsing and also has a "qwerty" keyboard.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It is called a data cable. It connects between the cell phone and computer via usb or serial connection. Once the drivers are installed on your computer, it is just treated as a second modem. You can create a new dial-up connection on your computer and set the new cell-modem as your modem. That way you have your old connection using the origional modem and a new connection using the cell phone. When the computer uses the cell phone to dial, it is dial up so don't expect a fast connection. As far as paying for data minutes, thats BS. The cell is just making a phone call, between your computer and another. It is treated just like any other phone call and minutes are charged for minutes used.
I bought mine here but you can go to any verizon store (assuming you have verizon) and buy one as long as the phone isn't too old.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #14

Excuse my ignorance, but I assume that you would be making that phone call to some paid ISP service such as AOL. Is that correct? Do you still need to maintain a paid dial up ISP service for this all to work?
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

when did they pull the plug ? I'm on MO right now?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beabop:
when did they pull the plug ? I'm on MO right now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people have said they have had the plug pulled when they let customer service know they were using their phones for data without having a data plan.

In my case when I bought a new phone last summer I could no longer connect to ExpressNet but could still connect to Quick2Net, so I bit the bullet and got the $59 per month data plan and an aircard. Verizon is trying hard to prevent use of the phone for data unless you have a data plan.

The phone can be hacked but that voids the warranty in some/many cases (it does with my Motorola phone). I think the LG phones can be modified to access Q2N and ExpressNet (National Access) by working through the menu but I am not sure.

There is a bunch of info on the following site:HERE

When I got my first Verizon phone (4 years ago) Verizon was advertising access to Quick2Net (connection speed of about 14 kbps, about 29kbps using the Venturi accelerator software) as part of the package. That used your minutes, but they changed that sometime later and newer contracts did not allow data connection without a data plan. Of course a lot of people did it anyway.

Also Verizon had left a "backdoor" open where people could access ExpressNet using their minutes. ExpressNet is a lot faster - faster than 56kbps dialup most of the time. That is what is now called National Access and is the default if Broadband Access is not availible.
Verizon says the speeds are:
National Access, 60 to 80 kbps with bursts up to 144 kbps.
Broadband Access, 400 to 700 kbps with bursts up to 2000 kbps.

They are in the process of eliminating Q2N altogether according to customer service but didn't tell me when.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
Excuse my ignorance, but I assume that you would be making that phone call to some paid ISP service such as AOL. Is that correct? Do you still need to maintain a paid dial up ISP service for this all to work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Verizon becomes your ISP. You do need an email address but that can be obtained from Yahoo, hotmail and others for no fee.

The number dailed is #777 and that connects to a Verizon data net.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
Excuse my ignorance, but I assume that you would be making that phone call to some paid ISP service such as AOL. Is that correct? Do you still need to maintain a paid dial up ISP service for this all to work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Verizon becomes your ISP. You do need an email address but that can be obtained from Yahoo, hotmail and others for no fee.

The number dailed is #777 and that connects to a Verizon data net. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I am certainly confused!

If one has the Verizon data account (I've seen a couple different names for this), yes, you would dial the #777. But if you don't have that Verizon Wireless data plan (with aircard?), and have the data cable for your cell phone with the USB hookup to your computer, you will have to have to dial into some ISP via an 800 number, right?

In my case, I have cable (Comcast) Internet and cannot use this when traveling since Comcast no longer provides a dial-up number for mobile connections. So...looks like I'll have to sign up with a dial-up ISP in order to use this cell phone/laptop Internet method while on the road...right?
ejlcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejlcom:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:

The number dailed is #777 and that connects to a Verizon data net. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I am certainly confused!

If one has the Verizon data account (I've seen a couple different names for this), yes, you would dial the #777. But if you don't have that Verizon Wireless data plan (with aircard?), and have the data cable for your cell phone with the USB hookup to your computer, you will have to have to dial into some ISP via an 800 number, right?

In my case, I have cable (Comcast) Internet and cannot use this when traveling since Comcast no longer provides a dial-up number for mobile connections. So...looks like I'll have to sign up with a dial-up ISP in order to use this cell phone/laptop Internet method while on the road...right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya know, That number is shared by other companys too? I have Alltel and broadband access. It dials the same #777. That must be some kind of National number for ALL of the air-cards and phone modems. Now My question, How does that number tell you which on-line site you belong to??
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

OK...there is some confusion here.
There is Broadband which uses an aircard, and there is dial-up.
Everything that I have been talking about is dial-up. If Verizon gives you lip about using your cell phone for data, tell them to pound sand. A computer dialing another computer is no different that a person calling another person. Whatever minutes you get with your cell plan apply. You need to see if your ISP has a dial-up line in order to connect. If it doesn't, try something free like Juno, NetZero, etc.
Any other questions, please post.
Rick