Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread and a number of people talking about different things within the same thread. Maybe I can help sort some of this out. My background is that I own a couple of internet companies and am familiar with the technology being discussed here.

There are two different types of connections that can be made with cellphones.

1) A standard dialup connection to an ISP using the phone as a standard modem. This type of service doesn't cost you anything but minutes and your ISP fees. Problems with it are that it is generally very slow, but that works ok for some people.

2) Using a cellphone as a "wireless modem" and getting on the net via your wireless provider. Depending on the provider and the area you are in at any time, you can get DSL speed type connections using a data capable cellphone or pda type phone. This type of service requires extra fees (and those will depend on who you use for service). You can use various methods here such as a data cable between phone and laptop or a bluetooth connection between cellphone and laptop.

I use Alltel as my cellular provider and I pay $25 a month for their Axcess Mobile and it provides unlimited data access via a USB connection to my laptop. This data connection has no bearing on my cellphone minutes and does not count against it. You may also get an "Aircard" which you plug into a laptop (or any computer). For this type of dedicated service the cellular companies charge various fees but they seem to average about $59.95 a month.

The cellular companies use various types of data connectivity to provide the service but I don't think this is of any consequence to this discussion.

Hope this helps a bit and doesn't confuse anyone.

R
Racedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Racedog...
Exactly !!!
Rick
Old 04-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Racedog,

Yes, there is some confusion out here. All I know, is that I have Verizon for a cell provider, bought my Samsung phone from them and later bought a $39.99 National Access package that included a USB/phone cord and S/W CD. It dials #777 to connect to a data (Verizon?) network and my laptop is configured to bring up my normal at home ISP home page and e-mail thru my ISP. I have NO extra charge data plan and VZ did not talk about that when selling me the Mobile Office kit. Whatever minutes I use are deducted from my monthly allotment. Usage speeds average about 130 Kbps.

That's how mine works.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
Racedog,

Yes, there is some confusion out here. All I know, is that I have Verizon for a cell provider, bought my Samsung phone from them and later bought a $39.99 National Access package that included a USB/phone cord and S/W CD. It dials #777 to connect to a data (Verizon?) network and my laptop is configured to bring up my normal at home ISP home page and e-mail thru my ISP. I have NO extra charge data plan and VZ did not talk about that when selling me the Mobile Office kit. Whatever minutes I use are deducted from my monthly allotment. Usage speeds average about 130 Kbps.

That's how mine works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is the "backdoor access that I was talking about. Verizon is doing their best to close that backdoor. They want everyone using their data net to pay an extra monthly fee.

I think the "National Access" package you bought for $39 is really the "Mobile Office Kit" and does not include National Access which is a data plan.
Verizon intended that kit to be used in conjuction with a data plan. The only exceptions I am aware of were early plans that allowed the use of a slower speed connection called Quick2Net.
My contract that is four years old now did include Quick2Net but was not supposed to include National Access (Express Net)- but as I said many people used it to access ExpressNet anyway.

There is a lot of info on the site (HERE )referenced in my earlier post.

The "History of Verizon Backdoor Access.rtf" is one file that does a good job of explaining the whole story.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I am also Verizon, with a Samsung i700, pocket PC. Have not connected as after I got the phone they switched me to a data plan, free, unless you use it. Two other plans for more $$. Now I am looking at that. The best plan is for a "smart phone or Pocket PC" at $40 per mo if you have a $39 + voice plan, THEN they want $15 more to "allow" you to connect to the computer. This plan is unlimted use 24/7. Just dont down load HUGE files like movies.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

In preparation for going fulltime this year, last week I purchased a USB card from Verizon. Model # USB720 I went this route because it is only 1 of 2 that support Mac's. It also supports PC's as well. This is also a Rev. A. USB so it is capable of the fastest speeds now offered.

On my current connection right now I have Peak upload speeds of 1.2Mbps and download speeds of 1.83Mbps I have had speeds this week approaching 2.8Mbps

I pay $60.00 a month and it is great. On Saturday I drove 120 miles one way and had a connection the whole way. Even had an IM chat with my son running Video and Audio. WOW. When my son realized I was in my truck and not at home he asked me how I was able to do it I just told him that I bought some more cable.

From Verizon VZ Access Manager.

BroadbandAccess is Verizon Wireless' premier data service, offering you one of the fastest, fully mobile wireless Internet data solutions available today providing your employees with the speeds required to work efficiently outside the office. This ultra-high-speed wireless service, available in select areas only from Verizon Wireless, provides users with typical speeds of 400-700 kbps, capable of bursts up to 2 Mbps.

IronRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by no18yes:
I had a beautiful set up with Verizon. I used their Mobile Office program and my phone became the modem for my laptop. It worked great. I had unlimited minutes after 9pm and on weekends. My regular wireless phone bill paid for it all. Verizon pulled the plug on this use. Now if I want to use it I have to pay another $59 a month for a phone card that plugs into my laptop. This is something that I will only use now and then. I am not full time.
Any suggestions?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I also had this setup last summer and it worked goos,slow but good. I cant get it to work anymore either. I also cant get Mobile Office to load on my new vista laptop.I cant get MIcrosoft S&T to load either,but thats a differant topic.I have read these replies and still cant figure out how to use my cell as a modom

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Same story with Verizon. Bought mine 3 years ago and have been using it since, no extra charge. Called when I purchased a new desktop with Vista and called Verizon help about drivers. Told me I did not have a phone that supported National Access and did not have the service on my account that I had just re-upped in October and added a second phone (that I checked would also get on line). Still using it (on line now) and will until they can block me, was the reason I went with Verizon. Phone is the Motorola 325v (I think) and the new small USB plug. Still have old phone and cord at home.

Paul
Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Verizon is basiclly trying to close "back door" accessablity, as some have called it, by monitoring the data usage, not just minutes, on an account. Some can probably still connect with their cell phone on a limited basis and not raise a flag. However as the link below notes, if data usage excedes 5GB/Line, then they basically know what you're doing.

http://b2b.vzw.com/productsservices/wirelessinternet/br...ndaccessconnect.html

Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

I recently upgraded my Verizon broadband to a new Rev. A card, the USB 720. I am quite impressed with the speed improvement. The download speed more than doubled. Here is a speed test taken today:

http://home.earthlink.net/~lk23/images/Speed.jpg
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #31

LK23,
Now try that speed test with the accelerator turned off. This will give you a more accurate idea of your speeds. Most speed programs will not properly read when the various accelerators are on.
Don't get me wrong, where air card service is good it can be really good but highly unlikely that you could get that kind of speed with an actual download. The other thing you can do to test it is to do an actual download and see that the download rate was when it finishes.
You also might want to remove the top line of the graphic you posted as that might be your actual IP address. I did a ping and it did resolve to that site. If that is your IP address it would leave you open to an attack.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Bill,

Thanks for the tip about the IP address. I revised my post. I didn't recognize that as problem.

I am not aware of an accelerator. Even so, I am impressed with the speed of the new Rev. A card. It is much, much faster and I am in an area of marginal cell phone reception.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
LK23,
Now try that speed test with the accelerator turned off. This will give you a more accurate idea of your speeds. Most speed programs will not properly read when the various accelerators are on.
Don't get me wrong, where air card service is good it can be really good but highly unlikely that you could get that kind of speed with an actual download. The other thing you can do to test it is to do an actual download and see that the download rate was when it finishes.
You also might want to remove the top line of the graphic you posted as that might be your actual IP address. I did a ping and it did resolve to that site. If that is your IP address it would leave you open to an attack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The latest version of Access Manager no longer uses or offers the Venturi accelerator software or server access. Don't know which version LK23 is using, but with a Rev A card I would think the latest one (6.2.4 (1641C).

The upload speeds he shows are possible I think. Rev A is supposed to have the biggest improvement in the upload rate from the current 50 to 70 Kbps to a more broadband-like 300 to 400 Kbps.
The download rate seems a little high though but maybe still possible.
The Rev A download rate is improved less - to 450 - 800 Kbps, although the peak burst rate is 3.1 Mbps.
Maybe he hit some good burst speeds.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Clay,

Thanks for clarifying what an accelerator is. No, I am not using Venturi accelerator software.

I will start an new thread since I think others can benefit by my experience with EVDO broadband.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #35

All of the cellular cards are going to use accelerators just as satellite internet does whether it shows as an option or not.
Clay, what were your speeds when you did an actual file download?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
All of the cellular cards are going to use accelerators just as satellite internet does whether it shows as an option or not.
Clay, what were your speeds when you did an actual file download? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a Rev A card yet so my speeds shouldn't be as fast as those LK23 got.
(Plan to get one next summer when I renew my data contract.)

I just downloaded 849 kB in 4.79 sec. That would be 177 kBps or for an 8 bit byte 1417 kbps.
That seemed too fast - probably reflected mostly burst speed) so I downloaded Firefox - 5730 kB in 46.83 seconds. That should be 979 kbps.

When I just ran speed tests at three different test sites I got a high speed of 1160 kbps and a low of 711 kbps. Upload speeds varied from 97 kbps to 110 kbps.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just spoke to Verizon customer service and they said there is no acceleration in the cards. The guy I spoke with seemed knowledgeable.

This is what I found out from talking to him.
At one time they used Venturi software that intercepted your web site address request and connected to it via a high speed broadband connection, downloaded the info, compressed it and sent it to your computer where it was de-compressed.

This gave an effective increase in speed but did fake out speed test sites because they would see the Venturi server connection speed instead of the overall speed which would be slower since the compressed data were sent at a slower speed.

That is no longer being used and is no longer included in VZ Access. (I don't use the VZ Access software anyway, my card is plugged into a Kyocera wireless router.)

The speeds they advertise are the actual speeds that data are transferred to and from your computer.

Some of the higher speeds being seen now are the result of burst speeds and are accurate but don't necessarily reflect the actual average speed unless the downloaded file is large enough.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #38

Those are really good results. Anything that gets 800+K down even with the 100K up speeds will give a very workable connection. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

I used to use the cellphone for a modem, went to a Cingular air card, just because we have good Cingular service at home. We have used it all over the US and in Alaska also, We have no other option at home, well worth the money. I use an external antenna most of the time. Works great going down the road and we need to look at a website.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote