Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">The light above our dinette is really bright and I would love to put a dimmer switch on it so that we have the option of turning it down in the evenings. I like to sit at the dinette in the evenings on the laptop while dd sleeps on the pullout. It's way too bright though as is. I thought it would be fairly simple. I've been to all the local hardware and electrical supply stores and no one carries a 12v dimmer for that style lamp. (It's the typical push on and off type). I called our dealer and they said we could come in and look through the really big catalog. They are a half hour from home though and I don't know when I am going to be able to make it out that way again. Does anyone know if Winnebago makes what I need and I could just order it online ?? I haven't had any luck online yet.</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">The light above our dinette is really bright and I would love to put a dimmer switch on it so that we have the option of turning it down in the evenings. I like to sit at the dinette in the evenings on the laptop while dd sleeps on the pullout. It's way too bright though as is. I thought it would be fairly simple. I've been to all the local hardware and electrical supply stores and no one carries a 12v dimmer for that style lamp. (It's the typical push on and off type). I called our dealer and they said we could come in and look through the really big catalog. They are a half hour from home though and I don't know when I am going to be able to make it out that way again. Does anyone know if Winnebago makes what I need and I could just order it online ?? I haven't had any luck online yet.</span>

Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I bought 2 of these and installed them in my rig. Installed them on the 2 spots above the bed and the 2 spots above the couch. Works great!

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...?productid=826

(Sorry, I don't know how to make it clickable.)
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm wondering why a standard 110v AC type dimmer wouldn't work? It would seem like it could handle 12v with ease, but that almost seems to simple.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I bought 2 of these and installed them in my rig. Installed them on the 2 spots above the bed and the 2 spots above the couch. Works great!

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...?productid=826

(Sorry, I don't know how to make it clickable.)

'04 Winnebago Adventurer 38G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">You would have to run wiring through the walls for that though, wouldn't you ?? I was looking for something that we could just change out with what is already there. Oh...and it was clickable </span>

Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Our Winnebago Ultimate came from the factory with a dimmer on the bedroom ceiling light. It is not "clickable," but turns on with a twist, and the further you twist it the brighter the light gets.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
I'm wondering why a standard 110v AC type dimmer wouldn't work? It would seem like it could handle 12v with ease, but that almost seems to simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not use 110vAC electrical with 12vDC voltage unless it says that it can be used for AC/DC. DC will burn up AC switches, recepticles, etc.

Here's just one source... I think they are pricey but you may not...
http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/dimmer_d1201.asp
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

You don't need to run new wires, but you will have to tap into the existing wires and add a dimmer. I have not seen one built into a lamp so you can just change out the lamp.
If your light is controlled by a wall switch, you can replace the wall switch with an expensive switch and dimmer combo as in the link below. Replacing the switch or adding a dimmer does require basic electrical knowledge.

http://www.rvlifestyles.net/ItemPage.aspx?id=552039&sub...44-8e86-90b08ad3a287
Old 05-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Shan,

Search this forum for John Canfield, who did specifically what you want to do, but in the bedroom. He found some 12V dimmers and mounted them next to the light in the cabinet, so snaking wires wasn't an issue. He has pictures and everything!

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Here's another option Shannon. Maybe these switches match your rig.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Another source for 12v dimmers is

Zane Dimmers

I haven't installed any yet, but also will be using them for dimming the dinette and over couch lights. I will put the dinette dimmer next to the switch on the wall and the couch switch overhead, again next to the switch. The couch dimmer will control all three lights above the couch. To mount, only a small hole will have to be cut in the surface next to the switch and all wiring can be done thru the switch cut out.

If the Zane dimmer or other combination switch dimmer is used, it will just replace the existing switch with out additional wiring.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Shannone, Here's the link to John and Jane Canfield's website. http://www.janeandjohn.org/pages/rv.html Click on 'RV' at the bottom of the page and you will find his link titled, "addition of dimmers to reading lights". Hope this helps.

We had the same bright light problem and took a short cut...for now. We bought smaller watt bulbs for low wattage outdoor lighting. (We have wedge based bulbs, not sure what you have) and that helps a bit. We found them in the garden section of Walmart. But we will probably do the same as you wish to do and put in dimmers when DH gets more time at home.

Have a good one!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Check the Winnebago parts catalog. Winnie used them in some coaches as far back as the late eighties.I think a call to Lichtsinn Motors,1-800-343-62555 would get you the switches.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
My two cents..

We think the King Controls dimmer which standard in my Journey bedroom and is featured in John Canfield wonderful "how to" are unfortunately just flat ugly (sorry John). DW refuses to have one hanging over her head.

IMHO the dimmers recommened by Lorna (IMC brand available Sailor Sams) and Donovan (JR Products brand available at ??) are well suited because they are available in white plastic. Using Krylon Fusion spray paint you can effectively make them any color you want.

Now I just have to conivince DW it's worth $50 each to dim the reading and dining table lamps.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Shan, John Canfields installation may be flat ugly and to each his own..
.but his pictures flat show you how it has to be done..don't think there is any other way round it,,or the illustrious Mr. Canfield would have found it.. Good luck,,,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dmadzia:
You don't need to run new wires, but you will have to tap into the existing wires and add a dimmer. I have not seen one built into a lamp so you can just change out the lamp.
If your light is controlled by a wall switch, you can replace the wall switch with an expensive switch and dimmer combo as in the link below. Replacing the switch or adding a dimmer does require basic electrical knowledge.

http://www.rvlifestyles.net/ItemPage.aspx?id=552039&sub...44-8e86-90b08ad3a287 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the switch that I believe would match the most...but $70 for a dimmer switch is a bit high isn't it?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Here's a link to John Canfield's RV page:

RV Pages

He has a good demo on how to install dimmers. A lot of other neat stuff, too!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I ended up calling the Winnebago parts department and they do not have just what I am looking for...and they don't carry a dinette lamp with a built in dimmer I could replace it with. I don't like the idea of adding a seperate dimmer control switch, so I guess I will just live with it. Thanks everyone.</span>

Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Walmart has smaller wattage bulbs. We put 4 watt bulbs in our kitchen light and bedroom wall lights. Cheap alternative.

I believe they are called wedge base bulbs but you can find them in the automotive dept or any auto parts store.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote