Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was just interested if anyone else is like me and would like to have additional 120v outlets in the front of their coach. Specifically, below the level of the windshield. Especially with front mounted TVs there are all kinds of outlets in the overhead cabinets. I finally installed an outlet near the left side of the driver's seat but why doesn't the coach builder do that. The closest they have come is to put an outlet on the bottom of the front overhead cabinets. Just what I need, wires hanging down in the front of the coach. I am sure everyone's wife sees that as a decorating plus, or not.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was just interested if anyone else is like me and would like to have additional 120v outlets in the front of their coach. Specifically, below the level of the windshield. Especially with front mounted TVs there are all kinds of outlets in the overhead cabinets. I finally installed an outlet near the left side of the driver's seat but why doesn't the coach builder do that. The closest they have come is to put an outlet on the bottom of the front overhead cabinets. Just what I need, wires hanging down in the front of the coach. I am sure everyone's wife sees that as a decorating plus, or not.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I also added 120 volt outlets to our 36 Journey. I found it was convenient to have one next to the sofa in the slide, so I added one there. If we had kept the unit, I would also have added one down low on the passenger side below the dash. It seemed that quite often Shelly was plugging in the laptop charger and had to use the outlet in the overhead cabinent over the dash. The lower outlets would have been nice.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have 110V and 12V outlets distributed everywhere we could possibly want them except for the dash area. We have an outlet underneath the overhead cabinet, but it would be much more useful if it was below the windshield.

Our kludge is a double-grounding extension cord running down the side windshield pillar. Not ideal, but it solved the problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have often wanted an outlet forward on the driver's side. There is one on the wall just behind the co-pilot chair. I don't think we have any on the underside of the front overhead cabinets...
Old 02-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My solution for the laptop was to purchase a 12volt laptop charger and add a 12volt plug in on the back side of my dash cluster cover. I read a post a while back here on the site where someone remarked that it made much more sense to run 12v power to the laptop rather then stepping it up to 120v and back down to power the laptop. I bought a 12v charger on line pretty cheap.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have enough almost enough 120v outlets but I never understood why they don't put in more 12 volt outlets. I have one 12 volt near the range hood and one in the front dash and that's it.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">12 volt outlets </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have:
- One on WINDSHIELD side of dash instrument cluster panel
- One on rear of wall panel beside & behind driver seat
- One in bedroom beside the bed
- One under the dining/computer table
- One in outside entertainment compartment
Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We removed our couch and discovered that there is a 120 box on the floor right behind the couch. I ran a new circuit from that box to our new corner desk and now have very convenient outlets on the driver side within the slide.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
We have 110V and 12V outlets distributed everywhere we could possibly want them except for the dash area. We have an outlet underneath the overhead cabinet, but it would be much more useful if it was below the windshield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 120v outlet, phone jack and 12v outlet to the right of the passenger seat where your door is located. I also have the 120v outlet underneath the front overhead cabinets. But none of these is service by my inverter. My TV is behind the passenger seat so when on the road I run a short extension from the TV outlet to the right of the passenger seat for my laptop. Gassers have small inverters that mostly power only the TVs and entertaiment systems.

I have 2 - 12v outlets in the bedroom and I can't figure out what to use them for.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have 2 - 12v outlets in the bedroom and I can't figure out what to use them for.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CPAP -- I know!!