Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I have a KVH and direcTV. Once it finds the right satellite I turn the power to the KVH off. That will stop it from going into 'seek' mode if there's any kind of fade. The difference is between several minutes of waiting for it to acquire the satellite again and a few seconds of pixelation.

I don't know for a fact if this trick will work for yours or not. But it might be worth trying.
That's the only way that I can mine to work. Customer service was of no help at all. After having the Tvl'r on my last rig I guess I got spoiled. This setup is the pits!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I have a KVH and direcTV. Once it finds the right satellite I turn the power to the KVH off. That will stop it from going into 'seek' mode if there's any kind of fade. The difference is between several minutes of waiting for it to acquire the satellite again and a few seconds of pixelation.

I don't know for a fact if this trick will work for yours or not. But it might be worth trying.
I was about to do a 30 yard field goal with our King Dome when it started the "continual searching". But, the method above was conveyed to me as a test to see if it would work. I tried it and, so far, for about 8-10 months or so, it has worked flawlessly. I just set my TV screen up as the signal meter and, start the search on the King Junk. Well, when the graph starts to rise, and the beeps get closer together, I know I'm real close. When it hit around 80-85% , I shut the search down. From that point on, it's fine.

Not sure if any of this info helps but, it has kept us from spending the required amount for the new Traveler, so far. Who knows how long this method will continue to work??? But, when it finally gives up the ghost, we'll definitely look into the Traveler as the replacement.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Fire Up,
But what do you do in the rain? I'm in the Pacfic Northwet---pun intended----and that's just as much of a problem as not finding a satellite. especially in the middle of a good program
Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I used my Kingdome for two years, all worked well, even in rain, but it only connected with one satellite at a time, so recording was limited. I replaced it with the Traveler (dish) last summer.
Best thing ever. We arrive at a new site, I level the coach, hit the power switch to the Traveler, and a few minutes later all three Dish satellites are tuned in. I call Dish to switch my location, and once they say the change is made, I hit the reset button on my receiver, and in a few minutes we have the new local stations and all the others. For us, it has worked from the Canadian Border down to San Diego, all is great.
I do turn off the power once all is aligned, only to turn it back on to stow the dish before travelling again.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
If you have a Trav'ler with in-motion capability, you definitely have something I've never heard of. One of my friends drove all day with his Trav'ler raised but he didn't try to get it to track!
I stand corrected...I meant to say I have a Winegard MiniMax. It's the small one with the cover over it. I just went through some No. Carolina rainstorms and had no problems with reception either.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Several people we know have switched out their King Dome for the Trav'ler. Just too many problems getting reception with the king Dome when there's any kind of weather in the area.

We ordered our new Motorhome with the Trav'ler SK-3005. We had the new unit about a week when Winegard came out with the newer model. We still haven't gotten ours to work properly. First we had to replace the receiver box with an HD model. Now we get about 1/2 the channels we're supposed to. Last week I talked to the DirecTV people and they're telling me I needed to add a filter to receive both the A and B band channels. Hopefully it will arrive in the next few days. I'm getting tired of watching "The Knife Channel" and "The Worlds Best Vacuum Channel"
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

When we ordered the new Tour we had them install the Travel'r with the SWM. I now see that on the 2014 models flyer they do not use the King-Dome anymore, they are strictly using the Winegard Mission dome in addition to the Travel'r SWM. I had the original Travel'r on my journey from day one, had one issue one time where they had to replace the motor unit since it would not raise or lower. It was out of warranty, but luckly I had the extended service contract.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Several people we know have switched out their King Dome for the Trav'ler. Just too many problems getting reception with the king Dome when there's any kind of weather in the area.

We ordered our new Motorhome with the Trav'ler SK-3005. We had the new unit about a week when Winegard came out with the newer model. We still haven't gotten ours to work properly. First we had to replace the receiver box with an HD model. Now we get about 1/2 the channels we're supposed to. Last week I talked to the DirecTV people and they're telling me I needed to add a filter to receive both the A and B band channels. Hopefully it will arrive in the next few days. I'm getting tired of watching "The Knife Channel" and "The Worlds Best Vacuum Channel"
Whoever did your HD install should have known that B-Band Converters are required in order to receive HD signals on DirecTV if you do not have an SWM setup. This has absolutely nothing to do with your Trav'ler.

As for the fact that the SWM model Trav'ler was released shortly after you bought yours, with the addition of an SWM-8 switch and a power inserter your Trav'ler will have all the capabilities of the newer model.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

I had the earlier version of the Trav'ler on our 2002 Journey. I had to install the B band converter (simple.....just connect it to the SAT IN cable at the receiver). However, I discovered it was not needed if you had one of Direct's later versions of HD receivers. I can't remember the model number (maybe h23??). Nevertheless, we got all the Direct channels from day one.

I now have the SWM Trav'ler on our current rig and it works flawlessly.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I had the earlier version of the Trav'ler on our 2002 Journey. I had to install the B band converter (simple.....just connect it to the SAT IN cable at the receiver). However, I discovered it was not needed if you had one of Direct's later versions of HD receivers. I can't remember the model number (maybe h23??). Nevertheless, we got all the Direct channels from day one.

I now have the SWM Trav'ler on our current rig and it works flawlessly.
We have the 24H-200 receiver. When I contacted DirecTV they told me it was the only one compatible with our dish. As for the installer knowing it needed a B band converter, I was the one who installed the receiver. They wanted to send out a tech, but from previous experience I decided to take the chance and do it myself. It seems every time we have someone come to the house it takes another month of searching the internet to find the information to get everyhing running properly. They always seem to fix one problem and create 6 more.

I called DirecTV Friday since the converter still hadn't arrived. As usual it was a comedy of errors. The original rep told me they would send it USPS to the house. In fact they sent it Fedex to the family cottage 100 miles away. We had to go there this weekend to do some chores, and sure enough when we got there it was stuck inside the storm door. We'll take it with us when we leave, and hopefully get everything up and running early next eek.

Tags
replacement