Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
King Dome 9754 Upgrade

Our new to us 2011 Ellipse has a King Dome 9754 satellite antenna that doesn't work. I was told by King Controls that it must be updated to recognize the new Dish Network protocol. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? The King rep said I need to replace the boards at a cost of about 50% of a new antenna. All input appreciated.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have an outdated satellite dome on our 2012 Bounder, which was kind of a dud even when it was new. We didn't want to spend more money on that thing so we ended up buying a portable carry-out type antenna, the Pathway x2. It works great and was a cost-effective solution.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the comment. We have a Tailgater II portable, but it isn't the best answer for us. It does work in a pinch though.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We went with the King Relay since we don't use on the road, and works great, you will need one of the VIP receivers, the same one that talks to the portable antenna and when you get to your site, it comes up with screen that ask your state, enter that and it finds the satellite and you are ready to go. They are 399.00 currently with free shipping as refurbished from King dome. It will fit the mounts of dome up there now, just hook up Coax cable to and tape off power cable that is used for old antenna, new antenna is powered by the coax cable.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you. A good suggestion to check out. We have the VIP211k receiver, so we're good to go there.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Well, I'm getting a bit more info. I found King's service bulletin (it says in part):
SERVICE BULLETIN 01-15 (Updated March 2016)
Earlier this year, DISH began an effort to convert most of its satellite TV signals from
QPSK encoding to a new 8PSK format. bla, bla, bla. KING has manufactured a variety of mobile satellite antennas using several different proprietary methods of finding and identifying satellites. Some of these models relied on the QPSK signal in order to identify satellites and will be affected by these changes from DISH.
As of 3/17/2016, DISH changed the remaining QPSK transponders to 8PSK.
A historical list of KING satellite antenna models and the related impact of this change
on each model is listed below:
9704/9704-LP
S/N #611325 or lower requires an upgrade to 8PSK tuner by replacing one of the circuit boards and upgrading the software (higher S/N already use 8PSK tuner and are not affected)
9754/9754-LP ** this is mine serial # 702279
S/N #702321 or lower requires upgrade to 8PSK tuner (higher S/N already use 8PSK tuner and are not affected)

So, it looks to me that a programming change is what I need to do and NOT new circuit boards as on model 5704.

Now I'd appreciate other experiences. I'd like to avoid changing this Dome out if I can keep from it (and saving some money).
Thanks in advance for any help
Old 05-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCastor View Post
Our new to us 2011 Ellipse has a King Dome 9754 satellite antenna that doesn't work. I was told by King Controls that it must be updated to recognize the new Dish Network protocol. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? The King rep said I need to replace the boards at a cost of about 50% of a new antenna. All input appreciated.
Had same problem w 2011 Journey. I bot the two boards installed myself. Returned larger board for a refund from King. Works fine
Hendo6771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your reply Hendo.
Would you be willing to share more info? Here are my questions:
1.When did you do the upgrade (appx date)?
2.Was yours the model 9754?
3.Do you have the part numbers for the boards, and will you share them?
4. Would you mind sharing the cost of the boards?
5. Was it difficult to get them to sell you just the boards? And did you have to do anything special to get them to sell you just the boards?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCastor View Post
Thank you for your reply Hendo.
Would you be willing to share more info? Here are my questions:
1.When did you do the upgrade (appx date)?
2.Was yours the model 9754?
3.Do you have the part numbers for the boards, and will you share them?
4. Would you mind sharing the cost of the boards?
5. Was it difficult to get them to sell you just the boards? And did you have to do anything special to get them to sell you just the boards?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Joe....I upgraded my boards last Nov. My Sat was just under the time limit for upgrade...any older and i would have had to buy new SAT. Two boards...one large and one small...cost approx 600$. I returned the large board for 200$ refund. Dont have access to part numbers as coach in storage. The looked up my numbers on my SAT and said I could buy the two boards. Didnt have any problems at all just getting boards. I did have to get on top of MH and get serial number off the SAT..
Hendo6771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your help.
I've sent an email to King to see if your deal is still available.
I'll post the outcome.

Tags
upgrade