Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 05:04 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

OP has a 2019 rig, should have a new charger which will certainly not boil the batteries. The new chargers go right into maintenance mode which is really not harmful. Most even cycle through a simulated equalize mode if left on. No, not as good as a real equalize but also not harmful since it is a short cycle. Batteries are made to use and do like cyclic use and recharge but leave a new rig plugged in or have solar on the roof - either way - and the batteries are good to go when you are. The old days of unplugging are gone unless you still have an old single stage charger in an older rig. In that case buy a new charging system when you get new batteries. The batteries will appreciate it by lasting longer.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
(we get to -40 in winter...global warming my ass lol)
We have the same weather, still waiting 4 this so-called global warming. That's right, they changed it to climate change. That I believe, but I dont think this is what they meant. We're already having single digit lows. Way below normal... lol
Old 11-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Five2o: you said the AGM batteries can freeze solid without any issue. Please elaborate- did you mean they freeze and still can be used frozen or they freeze but need to be thawed before use? Also, if fully charged and disconnected do they still freeze?
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Kayak73: I understood that the lead acid battery life is determined by the number of cycles it undergoes (not counting doing harmful things of course). If so, it seems if one has the RV in extended storage, one would prolong battery life by disconnecting after fully charged and wait to reconnect when getting back on the road, yes?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Once a battery freezes it's shot...
Old 11-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

That was my understanding- Five2o said something different which is why I wanted to dig into the topic a bit more. Things like: Is AGM technology that much different that it CAN freeze solid?
Old 11-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Because the glass mats are not totally saturated and the liquid does not expand to cause plate and case damage, AGM batteries can withstand freezing - you will get little or no output from a frozen battery, but at least it will not ruin the battery or break the case.

From Lifeline website.

They recommend storing at temperatures above -67 F.

The rate of self-discharge is less than 2% per month if stored under 20 d C. So you can leave them up to 2 years without any charging and they're fine.

Why risk a trickle charge malfunction or ghost draw killing your batteries?
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
I read that batteries which get fully charged won’t freeze. Yes?
Depends on electrolyte level but yeah, fully charged batteries in good condition won't freeze until you get to -80 F. It can get to -77 F sometimes in Fairbanks, AK I learned, but the 3 winters I was there it never got below -70 F and only for short times at night.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
Kayak73: I understood that the lead acid battery life is determined by the number of cycles it undergoes (not counting doing harmful things of course). If so, it seems if one has the RV in extended storage, one would prolong battery life by disconnecting after fully charged and wait to reconnect when getting back on the road, yes?

In the case of battery life estimates given by a manufacturer that normally means a discharge cycle to 50% and a recharge to near 100% defines a "cycle". There are far too many variables in real life use to accept that as more than an estimate. The battery in my diesel tractor is more than 12 years old, forget. Just replaced the battery finally in my diesel lawnmower bought new in 2006. I keep them on a battery maintainer ALL the time when not in use. Everyone does what seems best to them based on reports and experience. The charger/converter in the '18 View along with the solar is left on all the time when parked and plugged in. That includes the Trik-L-Start which keeps up the chassis battery as well. The Trik-L-Start is a 5 amp diversion charger, not likely to hurt anything and the PD converter is three stage, drops into maintenance mode nicely. In reality I could unplug and let the solar keep things up with no worries but I run a dehumidifier or small heater in the thing when we are not on the road.

In our first View, 06, I could not leave the thing plugged in, that charger would boil the batteries dry, the new series of converters is far better. My choice is plug the thing in when parked. There are too many other things to worry about with an RV.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:35 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Don't leave mine plugged in

I upgraded to a Progressive Inteli Power 9200 series smart converter/charger to replace my dumb charger. Even so I don't stay plugged in over the winter. I put a trickle charger/maintainer on start and house battery.
I have basement A/C and I noticed when I plug into shore power I here a slight "click" of a solenoid activating coming from A/C. So rather than keep that solenoid pulled in I chose to not plug in. Also keeps all else running on 120V turned off. Microwave and I don't know what else.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher0077 View Post
I upgraded to a Progressive Inteli Power 9200 series smart converter/charger to replace my dumb charger. Even so I don't stay plugged in over the winter. I put a trickle charger/maintainer on start and house battery.
I have basement A/C and I noticed when I plug into shore power I here a slight "click" of a solenoid activating coming from A/C. So rather than keep that solenoid pulled in I chose to not plug in. Also keeps all else running on 120V turned off. Microwave and I don't know what else.
I have an 03 Ultimate Freedom. Also, basement ac/heat. Do u have this Aux Bat Disconnect? It's at the left of the entrance b4 you step into the rig. It shuts off power to the coach. I don't hear any ticking from the ac... I keep mine off when not in use..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191114_080029.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	172413  

Tags
winter