Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey 40u

Having electrical issues. The ground fault plug in bath on drivers side is out as well as two other outlets and fireplace. No power coming to back of ground fault. Have power to tv above fireplace. No tripped breakers. Any help would b appreciated.
Rgreen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The TV may be wired to the inverter or perhaps the other outlets are and there is a tripped reset button on it?

What year is your Journey and have you checked for the appropriate electrical diagram here?;

Winnebago Industries
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgreen44 View Post
Having electrical issues. The ground fault plug in bath on drivers side is out as well as two other outlets and fireplace. No power coming to back of ground fault. Have power to tv above fireplace. No tripped breakers. Any help would b appreciated.
Have you pressed the reset button on the GFI plug in the bathroom. Also try pressing the test button and then the reset button.

Did you check to see if you tripped the CB in your AC power panel. You probably have two AC power panels, one for the main power and a second smaller one for the Inverter. In the inverter there should be CB's for the three sets of outlets.

BTW, if the fireplace is on the same outlet string as the bathroom (which it sounds like it is) and you have the fireplace on and then plug in a hair dryer in the bathroom it will most likely trip the CB.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Journey 40u

I think I have located the source of my problem. I pulled out my fireplace and unplugged it from the wall outlet. Once that was done I was able to reset the ground fault in the bath. As soon as I plugged it back in it tripped the breaker again, so faulty fireplace????
Old 01-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I think I have located the source of my problem. I pulled out my fireplace and unplugged it from the wall outlet. Once that was done I was able to reset the ground fault in the bath. As soon as I plugged it back in it tripped the breaker again, so faulty fireplace????
Sounds like it. Or it could be in the wall outlet. It only takes a very tiny bit of current leakage to trip the GFI. The GFI has a sensor to be sure the exact same amount of current is returning on the neutral return wire as the amount of current coming in on the hot lead. Any leakage trips the GFI.

If you have a multimeter you can check using the resistance (Ohm scale) from the third wire ground to the hot lead and also to the neutral and it should read infinite resistance. Start on the low scale and work toward the higher resistance scale to see if there is any reading.

Another test would be to take a 3 wire extension cord and plug the fireplace into another outlet on a different GFI if you have one. They probably don't recommend running the fireplace off of an extension cord, but for a short duration (a minute or two) it won't be a problem.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Another test would be to take a 3 wire extension cord and plug the fireplace into another outlet on a different GFI if you have one. They probably don't recommend running the fireplace off of an extension cord, but for a short duration (a minute or two) it won't be a problem.
Just use the heaviest duty cord you can find, the shorter the better. And, if the fireplace is the culprit, it should trip the GFI almost instantaneously.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Sounds like it. Or it could be in the wall outlet. It only takes a very tiny bit of current leakage to trip the GFI. The GFI has a sensor to be sure the exact same amount of current is returning on the neutral return wire as the amount of current coming in on the hot lead. Any leakage trips the GFI.

If you have a multimeter you can check using the resistance (Ohm scale) from the third wire ground to the hot lead and also to the neutral and it should read infinite resistance. Start on the low scale and work toward the higher resistance scale to see if there is any reading.

Update. When the problem occurs the GFCI doesn't trip, it just is dead as with all the lower outlets on drivers side. Checked fireplace in another outlet and it is fine. Looking for wiring diagram know to trace line back.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Update. When the problem occurs the GFCI doesn't trip, it just is dead as with all the lower outlets on drivers side. Checked fireplace in another outlet and it is fine. Looking for wiring diagram know to trace line back.
Go to Winnebago for the wiring diagram: https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
Old 01-29-2019, 06:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Journey 40u

Update. We are boondocking. When on battery power all the oulets I discussed earlier are not working. When generator is running they are. Not sure on shore power. Is this normal?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Update. We are boondocking. When on battery power all the oulets I discussed earlier are not working. When generator is running they are. Not sure on shore power. Is this normal?
Yes.
Your inverter may power some using the batteries such as a TV or one or two outlets but probably not all outlets.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
With a Winnebago Journey, all the outlets should be powered by the inverter, with the possible exception of the fridge. However my 2006 Journey's inverter does power the fridge.

I suggested earlier that you should press the reset button on the GFCI on this line of outlets, assuming there is a GFCI . Also it would be good to press the test and then the reset to see if that helps. When pressing the test and reset buttons you should hear and/or feel a click on both buttons.

If you have a multimeter and are familiar with measuring voltages on 120V AC power, which can be life threatening, start trouble shooting by removing the outlet with the GFCI and seeing if power is coming to the outlet. If not then you need to check at the CB for 120V.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

WinnieView asked about the age of your coach. That is important because GFI outlets age out with use. Replace your GFIs and whether it helps or not, it's worth doing.

An aged GFI will fail earlier than it is supposed to.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have a 2009 Journey and the inverter DOES not power all the outlets. The inverter feeds a secondary panel - often a segregated portion in the main panel - where outlets fed by the inverter are connected and can be identified. Most inverters are 3000watts or lower so it is unlikely that they could power all the outlets in anything but a small RV. When the GFCI trips, it is indicating a fault. That fault could be a momentary one or a solid fault. If it recurrs repeatedly and the fault cant be located, the GFCI itself might be defective and a new one should be installed to rule out a defective GFCI. If the new GFCI trips, then there is a fault and it must be found - which usually isn't an easy task but removing devices until the fault disappears is about all that can be done. In any event, it is important to track down and repair a fault.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Could be or a problem with the wires back to the GFCI. Plug a 3 wire device into the outlet, like a hair drier. If the GFCI trips troubleshoot the line back to the GFCI. Also, plug the fireplace into another circuit, like the one on the opposite wall. If that GFCI trips you know the fireplace has a problem.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Try the reset on the outlet at the base of the bed. Ours controls the rear outlets.
Wayneelowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I have a 2009 Journey and the inverter DOES not power all the outlets. The inverter feeds a secondary panel - often a segregated portion in the main panel - where outlets fed by the inverter are connected and can be identified. Most inverters are 3000watts or lower so it is unlikely that they could power all the outlets in anything but a small RV. When the GFCI trips, it is indicating a fault. That fault could be a momentary one or a solid fault. If it recurrs repeatedly and the fault cant be located, the GFCI itself might be defective and a new one should be installed to rule out a defective GFCI. If the new GFCI trips, then there is a fault and it must be found - which usually isn't an easy task but removing devices until the fault disappears is about all that can be done. In any event, it is important to track down and repair a fault.
Is it possible you are confusing "outlets" with powering all the devices, such as air conditioner and water heater? The water heater and A/C are both hard wired so are not plugged into an outlet. On my Journey there is a secondary panel which is dedicated to the inverter and the 120V outlets but not the A/C & water heater.
The inverter is definitely not designed to power multiple high power devices, such as using the microwave and a coffee pot at the same time. Or a toaster and coffee pot which you could easily do on a small RV as well as a large RV.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Just to keep us all on track. This is the failure of a working circuit. The GFCI could be failing under load, true. But proving the state of the fireplace is the first step.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Lowes sell these handy testers that check gfi, outlets and ground issues. Real handy tool for 25 bucks.
Attached Images

Dibbsvtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

They are worth having in your toolbox, even this one for $5.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Ge...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

That said, a flaky GFI and show good during testing and then fail under load. Change out the GFI to another one, or to a regular outlet, and see if the problem disappears.

Changing to a regular outlet leaves downstream outlets, "unprotected", but you know your coach and your electrical usage and don't overload them anyway.

The exception is something like a fireplace, and let me suggest that a GFI be installed on that outlet's box. If the appliance is suspect, then placing the GFI on only that box saves the rest of the coach from aggravation outages.

Tags
journey