Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know what Winnebago uses for their inverter sub panel ?

I am installing a 2KW inverter and would like to fit the sub panel in the factory provided space but I can't seem to locate an appropriate panel.(It is not featured in the Winnie on line reference literature)

Coach is a 2004 Journey 36G although I am sure the same panel is used in many versions of the Winnie line.

Tnx,

ReM
Dick Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know what Winnebago uses for their inverter sub panel ?

I am installing a 2KW inverter and would like to fit the sub panel in the factory provided space but I can't seem to locate an appropriate panel.(It is not featured in the Winnie on line reference literature)

Coach is a 2004 Journey 36G although I am sure the same panel is used in many versions of the Winnie line.

Tnx,

ReM
Old 03-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I found the part numbers on page 121 of the 06' Parts Detail list. I suspect the same doc is in the Chassis Drawings folder in the CD. I'm still at least a week away from getting my ride back (seems like forever), and can look then. Winne can probably ID the part number for ya.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Dick, I made the same retro fit in my 2004 Journey 36G. The box you are looking for is 'very' difficult to find on the regular market. You can get it from Winne for a reasonable price and it fits well in the factory location.

Just be sure you have downloaded the wiring diagrams for the proper hoookup (read EMS working properly).

Also, in 2006 Winne added the refrigerator to the scheme. You can do the same by downloading the 2006 wiring diagrams and following them.

Also, you will need all the battery power you can install.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
[email protected]
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carle:
Dick, I made the same retro fit in my 2004 Journey 36G. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tnx, Carle

Do you remember how long your DC cables from battery to inverter ended up ? I am trying to decide if I can make it with 8ft. Hate to come up 6" too short

ReM
Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Dick, I don't remember exactly how much DC cable I purchased for my installation but theoretically, 8' should do it if you locate the inverter in the place designed for it. I would think, however, an additional 2' would be good insurance considering how you may have to route them.

Arguments exist that you should use welder's cable rather than the kind you buy at auto stores because the finer strands conduct high-amperage electricity much more efficiently. I used the regular auto store product but I believe the factory uses the better cable.

Also, the diagrams indicate the gauge cable you should use.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Recommended Sizes

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote