Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hello all. Have a question for you seasoned RV'ers. We have learned so much this year but this topic is always grey to us.

Our Journey has a Dimensions Inverter on it. We are having no problems at all, but came across many threads and discussions about the inverters. One in particular discussed a Dimensions inverter catching fire. While I know ANY product can go bad, I am just wondering if we should "Step up" the upgrade to a better inverter.

We leave our Journey plugged in most times (50amp) while at home.

So what are your thoughts on the Dimensions inverter? What about the upgraded Xantrex RS2000 that I have heard about? Should we worry about keeping our Journey plugged in on this inverter we have?
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello all. Have a question for you seasoned RV'ers. We have learned so much this year but this topic is always grey to us.

Our Journey has a Dimensions Inverter on it. We are having no problems at all, but came across many threads and discussions about the inverters. One in particular discussed a Dimensions inverter catching fire. While I know ANY product can go bad, I am just wondering if we should "Step up" the upgrade to a better inverter.

We leave our Journey plugged in most times (50amp) while at home.

So what are your thoughts on the Dimensions inverter? What about the upgraded Xantrex RS2000 that I have heard about? Should we worry about keeping our Journey plugged in on this inverter we have?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

i think u r talking about the converter, the inverter is what you turn on to watch tv when all you have is your house batteries. (not pluged in) the converter is under the fridge and it keeps the house batts. charged when pluged in. i havent herd of them catching fire but ours went out the first year and because of its poor charge control we lost the 2 house batteries also. interstate gave us 2 new ones. the second dimensions went out 1 month later. i paid for and changed myself a new inteli 9200 60 amp converter with charge control and have not had any more trouble. the inteli-power 9200 was recomended from this forum. Don
Old 12-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

i forgot to say i have a 06 journey 36 also. Don
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Don - thanks for your reply. I probably did get the words wrong. I am power "dumb" so anything batterys, electrical or charging is a real challenge for me.

Okay - you replaced yours with an Inteli unit. You said this was under the fridge and you have the same unit as me. If this is the converter, then what is the big machine in the outside bay along with the electrical hookup plug? It switches from gen to shoreline when you plug in. I thought this was the dimensions unit?

I will definately look into the Inteli 9200 - great to get that advise from another identical coach owner.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Actually they're one-in the same: Inverter, Converter, Charger.

(Knocking on wood ) I have no complaints with ours at all. It's a MSW inverter, and if you can live with that, don't bother spending $1000+ until you have to. I watch it run through it's charge and taper off as it should, I watch it go through it's condition cycle when it should, and I have closely watched the batteries for over temp, etc. and have never had an issue (I watch these threads as well.. )

I talked to the Dimensions folks a few times recently about different things and got a curious remark out of the CS guy when talking about charge currents and times, and where to really set the little switch on the side. He commented that they have somewhat of a bad rap with allot of the Winnebagos toasting the batteries. He said that this is seen much more on the DP Winnies than others, and that the only thing they can attribute this to is that the batteries are located next to the engine (heat). He went on to say that they use this exact same unit in other RV's, mobile command centers, etc. and don't have the problems they see with the DP Winnies. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger! I just thought this was interesting.

Also, pay attention to where the little 4 position switch is at on the side of the unit. There are 2 charge positions for wet cells, and 2 for AGM. This switch sets a time limit for the various cycles. Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure why this is needed if the charger is watching the batteries, and it does have a temp sense on the batteries. Anyway, I elected to keep it on the 'D' position and go with the shorter times, even with a much larger capacity 6V system installed.

Also remember that there are thousands of these out there installed in Winnebago/ Itasca alone. There are obviously a few problems as you've seen in the threads wandering around here, but this is most likely way less than 1% of the units in the field. We all come here to post our problems and look for good answers, and the occasional problems are what you're seeing here (knocking on wood again just in case).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Good post Jeff - really helps. And I agree, I try not to replace anything until it shows me that it needs to be replaced. At least I am now getting a clearer picture of what we are dealing with.

Jeff (or anyone else), what are your comments on leaving our coach plugged in to 50amp power at all times? I too noticed the unit goes thru proper charge cycles (charge then 0 amps when full) and batteries are doing well - no overheating and even after a month, took just a few drops of water when I checked them this week. We leave the heat on 50 degrees as we are in Florida and it VERY RARELY will drop below 50 (inside the coach that is). Last night we got down to 35 degrees and the heat popped on for a few minutes in the coach. Everything else is "turned off".

I have gotten mixed reviews on keeping it plugged in to our 50amp power. Anyone have any comments on this?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We leave our coach on 50 amp power all the time but we have an RS2000 Xantrex.

I would try your Dimensions and see how it does floating your batteries. Check your water at least every week - if they are not losing water, then it is probably doing a good job or at least not harming the batteries.

If you find they are losing water, then there are three possibilities (maybe more):

- bad cell or cells in one or more batteries

- the Dimensions is not optioned correctly for your battery bank size

- the Dimensions simply can't properly float batteries due to design issues

Don't forget the Dimensions is programmed to equalize/condition the battery bank every __ on/off cycles. I believe the number is five. So every five Dimensions on/off cycles it will hold a much higher voltage and current to help the battery chemicals recombine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have the XANTRAC - Freedom 2000 Invertor/Convertor and this has a 3 stage charging system and an eqaulization mode. We full time and the unit has been plugged in 95% of the time for the past 5 years with no problems or battery issues, albiet my batteries are most likely nearing end-of. I equalize the batteries about once every 30 days. In the winter I add distilled water about every 90-120 days and in the summer, I add water about every 60-90 days. Batteries being cycled (charged/discharged) will consume water and this is natural and a part of the chemical reaction. As a result I useually add about 2 quarts of water (3 - group 27 batteries) during the service periods mentioned above. If you're plugged in constantly the worst thing you can do is not check the water level and let the plates become exposed.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:

Don't forget the Dimensions is programmed to equalize/condition the battery bank every <span class="ev_code_RED">10</span> on/off cycles. I believe the number is <STRIKE>five</STRIKE> ten . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>(Fun with editing.. )

John: I know you are one of the Dimensions casualties and have been into the technicalities of this unit. I'm curious what float flaws there are??

PS- I just ran across your Winne mag spread the other day. I like the PC corner..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

i need to clairify one more thing on my unit. i only have the 600 watt inverter with out a charger built in. the converter charger is under the fridge. the box in elec bay with power cord going to it is called a ats switch(automatic transfer switch)i had to replace that also, not related to the converter going out. just my luck! Don
Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

John, Roadking and Don - great posts and great informaiton. I hope our stock unit lasts a while and might have questions if the time comes to replace - you definately educated me.

Honestly, I dont think I could be an RV'er without this forum. I would be lost!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:

Don't forget the Dimensions is programmed to equalize/condition the battery bank every <span class="ev_code_RED">10</span> on/off cycles. I believe the number is <STRIKE>five</STRIKE> ten . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>(Fun with editing.. )

John: I know you are one of the Dimensions casualties and have been into the technicalities of this unit. I'm curious what float flaws there are??

PS- I just ran across your Winne mag spread the other day. I like the PC corner.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jeff - thanks for the correct number of cycles - I wasn't sure.

My original house batteries were getting cooked with the Dimensions inverter/charger - I have no idea if the root cause of the problem was bad bateries, a wonkey Dimensions, or both. I really don't know how well the Dimensions can float batteries - maybe we can have some feedback from other users.

Re: Traveling Times article about us .. It was fun being semi-famous for a few seconds. That and about $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee

Don - with only a converter and not a proper three-stage charger (I'm risking forum flames here again), your batteries might not be properly maintained - so keep a close watch over them. Failures of the ATS is not an uncommon occurance - I think I might have a problem with mine that is causing the gen set to throw a code 27. I'll save that story for another post in the future.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

WE HAVE A 2003 ALLEGRO BUS-XANTREX FREEDOM HEART INTERFACE 458 INVERTOR-AFTER TAKING OUT OF STORAGE AND APPLIED SHORE POWER A FAULT SHOWED ON THE REMOTE-WE HIT SETUP AND CHARGE AND THE BATTARIES WOULD NOT STOP CHARGING-I ASSUMED WE HAD A BAD BATTARY AND REPLACE All FOUR WITH INTERSTATE U2200 6 VOLTS. WE STILL HAVE THE SAME CONDITION-ANY SOLUTIONS?
cuuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hey there - welcome to the forum

Couple of suggestions - please do not use ALL UPPER CASE - most people consider that 'shouting.'

Instead of bringing a year-old thread back to life, it would be better to start a brand new one so then the community can focus on your issue. I'm not fussing at you, just trying to be helpful

As to your problem... I'm not familiar with your Xantrex unit. If the charger 'sees' a low voltage, it will ramp up the charge because it thinks the batteries are discharged. Can you measure the specific gravity of the cells to determine if the batteries are actually discharged and need charging, or if they are charged and the charger is faulty.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

THE BOTTOM LINE ON THE INVERTOR CHARGING PROBLEM WAS A LIGHTING STRIKE THAT DESTROYED 2 CARDS IN THE INVERTOR. BACK IN BUSINESS AFTER $500.00
cuuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

For what it's worth, after frying three sets of batteries in my new coach the dealer contacted Dimentions and was told that the unit had to be set to limit the charge cycle to only 5 amps or damage could occur. This is a simple setting on the control panel.

I haven't had a problem with it since.

Good Luck.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Although I guess the original thread is pretty old this may help make-up some minds. We had a Demensions converter in our '05 Itasca. One morning last year I thought the wife "over cooked" the coffee-then smoke everywhere. Thought it was the fridge but turned out to be an "over cooked" converter instead! Chattanooga CW said it did catch on fire when they tested it. Another hour in the sack might have been our last! Never another Demension for me!

'05 Suncruiser 37b W24

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote