Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trying to figure out what's going on with my inverter. This morning I put on the heat pump to take off the chill. We are in Florida and the morning temp is 57 degress the heat pump went right over to gas. I checked the inverter, my house batteries are at 11.4 when I turn on the heat the green lights that says 11.4 goes to 11.0 and starts flashing red. I have the (heat interface model). The battery state shows 3 batteries on the panel, the second battery shows half full and is lit up orange the other 2 battteries are not lit up. AC fault is lit up in green. Charge shows 12 volt in the green but when you turn on the heat.. fan. AC. the panel shows 11.4 in the red the inverter shows no green or red light and power share shows no green or red light.We are hooked up to 50 amp service. Any help with this problem would be very helpful. Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Trying to figure out what's going on with my inverter. This morning I put on the heat pump to take off the chill. We are in Florida and the morning temp is 57 degress the heat pump went right over to gas. I checked the inverter, my house batteries are at 11.4 when I turn on the heat the green lights that says 11.4 goes to 11.0 and starts flashing red. I have the (heat interface model). The battery state shows 3 batteries on the panel, the second battery shows half full and is lit up orange the other 2 battteries are not lit up. AC fault is lit up in green. Charge shows 12 volt in the green but when you turn on the heat.. fan. AC. the panel shows 11.4 in the red the inverter shows no green or red light and power share shows no green or red light.We are hooked up to 50 amp service. Any help with this problem would be very helpful. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

What does your Powerline monitor say about AC current? Your heat pump runs on AC. It sounds like you have a problem on the AC side and your transfer switch has switched over to inverter and run the batteries down.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am not an expert ... only a long time observer / practioner ...

1) when you house batteries are at 11.4 they are pretty well discharged .. batteries that are at 12.5 are about 50% discharged ... my guess is that your batteries are over the hill ...

2) if you are plugged into 50 amps you inverter should keep your batteries charge level at about 13.0 to 13.4 ... if your batteries are good ...

3) the heat pump will only provide heat if the actual temperature is within a few degrees (I think it is 4 degrees) of the set temperature ... otherwise it immediately switches to the LP furnace ... that is circuitry built into your thermostat ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
I am not an expert ... only a long time observer / practioner ...

1) when you house batteries are at 11.4 they are pretty well discharged .. batteries that are at 12.5 are about 50% discharged ... my guess is that your batteries are over the hill ...

2) if you are plugged into 50 amps you inverter should keep your batteries charge level at about 13.0 to 13.4 ... if your batteries are good ...

3) the heat pump will only provide heat if the actual temperature is within a few degrees (I think it is 4 degrees) of the set temperature ... otherwise it immediately switches to the LP furnace ... that is circuitry built into your thermostat ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like a good diagnosis to me as well. You have a battery problem or a charging problem (or perhaps both.)

About your furnace operation as a further clarification.. if your room temperature is say 65 degrees and you set the thermostat to bring the temp up to 70 degrees, the furnace will immediately operate since the set temp and ambient temp are five degrees apart. If you set the room temp at say 68 degrees, the heat pump will operate. (I forgot if the difference is four or five degrees for the thermostat logic.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_CanfieldI forgot if the difference is four or five degrees for the thermostat logic.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At four degrees difference my furnace will operate.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_CanfieldI forgot if the difference is four or five degrees for the thermostat logic.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At four degrees difference my furnace will operate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Occasionally, to save propane, I'll bump my thermostat up 4 degrees at a time to keep the gas furnace from coming on.

Nice looking motorhome Ding-A-Ling!

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) when you house batteries are at 11.4 they are pretty well discharged .. batteries that are at 12.5 are about 50% discharged ... my guess is that your batteries are over the hill ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the statement at 11.4 they are pretty well discharged. But 12.5 volts is about a 90% charged battery.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

12.6 or Greater = 100 % charged
12.4 to 12.6 = 75 to 100 %
12.2 to 12.4 = 50 to 75%
12.0 to 12.2 = 25 to 50%
11.7 to 12.0 = 0 to 25%
11.7 or less = DEAD
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

A 12.5VDC reading indicates a 90% charge.

For a good tutorial on 12V RV systems, gotoThe 12V Side.

Do not let people tell you that fully charged batteries read 13+ volts. They are called 12V batteries for a reason. That only occurs after fully charging and not dissipating the overcharge voltage. Run an overhead light for 10 minutes to get a true, more accurate reading.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all the replys I guess it is time to change the batteries they are about 4 years old now. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by movin-on:
12.6 or Greater = 100 % charged
12.4 to 12.6 = 75 to 100 %
12.2 to 12.4 = 50 to 75%
12.0 to 12.2 = 25 to 50%
11.7 to 12.0 = 0 to 25%
11.7 or less = DEAD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is a pretty good and useful chart, but it 'ain't gospel.'

The voltage vs. state of charge numbers will vary a tenth/two tenths of a volt or so depending on what you read and who you listen to.

I have always used 12.9V as 100% charge and 12.3V as 50% charge which I have found to be a pretty reliable benchmark over many years of boating and living with 12V to be a pretty good indicator of battery condition.

The only way to accurately determine the charge condition is with a hydrometer.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote