Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter Question

Confused. Need help ! I'm plugged into power at my house.(2013 Adventurer) I'm trying to learn my new motorhome and am beginning to go in circles here. Do I need to turn on my inverter to get power to my TV and DVD ?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

No need when you have power. Use inverter when on battery power,it converts to 110 volts.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1959 View Post
Confused. Need help ! I'm plugged into power at my house.(2013 Adventurer) I'm trying to learn my new motorhome and am beginning to go in circles here. Do I need to turn on my inverter to get power to my TV and DVD ?
Kevin,
First off, I'm not familiar with the model coach you have so, may I ask, what model of inverter do you have? Is it a large one as in, say, 2000 watt or, is it a smaller one like say, maybe around 300-400 watts? Not that type and or size should matter in your question.

Usually when plugged into shore power, all your outlets should be live. And, if and when you're not plugged into shore power, there are some outlets that will go live with an inverter and some that may not. So, I'm not sure how your complete setup looks. If you have the larger, again say, 2000 watt one, it has a "pass through" design in which shore power electricity goes right through it to supply current to all the intended outlets.

Hope this helps at least some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, the 2013 Adventurer Brochure lists a 1000W inverter w/remote panel as standard (page 20).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You shouldn't need to turn on the inverter to power up the TV or DVD player. Make sure all the circuit breakers in the panel by the door are on. Also make sure the little plastic tabs have been removed in the battery compartment of your remotes. Ours had a little tab that stuck out of the compartment that had to be removed before the batteries could power up the remotes.

Also make sure you're using the right remote for the units. Ours came with 7 remote controls for the various TV's and entertainment systems. There's a section in the owners manual that shows a picture of each and what they operate.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I must have a problem then. I get no power to tv until I turn on inverter, even when plugged into power at house.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It very well may be that the A/V equipment is always powered by the inverter. My previous coach was this way if I recall correctly.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I must have a problem then. I get no power to tv until I turn on inverter, even when plugged into power at house.
Well Sir,
I'm no electrical genius but, that doesn't seem right to me. Just how some of these coaches are wired and designed, might not be exactly right but, I guess it also means that it may be normal. It sounds to me that, the outlet that supplies power to the TV and whatever in that audio/visual compartment is wired in such a way that, it's only powered by the inverter.

I know if it were mine, I'd try and figure out how to change that. But, in our case, our inverter/charger goes on "Stand by" the micro second it sees shore power introduced into the system. So, ours could not act like yours if it wanted to. But, that's neither here nor there. How to fix your problem? Not sure. Is there another A/C outlet in the area? If so, does it supply 110VAC when on shore power? If not, try other outlets and see if there's anymore that are only powered by your inverter. This is interesting. I'd be interested in finding out what the solution was/is.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Sounds like you may have either a setup problem or a hardware issue. Like FIRE UP said, it should bypass 120v around it (via a set of internal relays) when on shore power. Best thing to do is get the manual and check this out for certain.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
I'm no electrical genius but, that doesn't seem right to me. Just how some of these coaches are wired and designed, might not be exactly right but, I guess it also means that it may be normal. It sounds to me that, the outlet that supplies power to the TV and whatever in that audio/visual compartment is wired in such a way that, it's only powered by the inverter.

I know if it were mine, I'd try and figure out how to change that. But, in our case, our inverter/charger goes on "Stand by" the micro second it sees shore power introduced into the system. So, ours could not act like yours if it wanted to. But, that's neither here nor there. How to fix your problem? Not sure. Is there another A/C outlet in the area? If so, does it supply 110VAC when on shore power? If not, try other outlets and see if there's anymore that are only powered by your inverter. This is interesting. I'd be interested in finding out what the solution was/is.
Scott
The OP is not experiencing a "normal" situation for the particular model and year coach he owns. We have the exact same year and model coach. The TV's and entertainment systems work off shore power, generator power, or inverter power.

In the last week we've used our television from both shore power and the inverter.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have a 2012 Winnebago Journey 36M and the TV's all work whether on Shore Power, Generator, or inverter.

One of my first problems was indeed the battery isolation solenoid. Might be worth checking that out as well.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

kevin1959, I have the same inverter has you have and as Hikerdogs said you have a problem. Its sounds like a defective inverter or you are not getting 110VAC to the inverter, check the breaker panel. The breaker is labeled RCP-2.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter