Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter / Outlet Question

I have a new 2016 View 24J (much more on that in the new member area).

I understand shore power / house batteries / generator / etc. and what is used when.

I would like to be able to use at least 1-2 120v outlets while driving. My understanding is that the inverter is only powering the TV's, LED coach lights, water pump, etc. Essentially everything except the convection over / microwave, AC/Heat Pump, and the 120v outlets.

Two questions:
- Can the inverter power at least one non-TV outlet?
- I did note that the TV installed over the sink is plugged into a 120v outlet. The TV plug covers both outlets. Can I simply plug a power strip into that outlet and plug in the TV along with something else (like an iPad charger)? Or will that over drain the house batteries faster than the alternator is charging them? I could at least use one at a time, I have to imagine the charger draws far less than a TV.
- Is there a mod / install I can do to enable more outlets while driving?

Thanks!
vman4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You can go to the Winnebago website and download the wiring and plumbing drawings for your specific unit. TV'S are often plugged into an outlet that has an ignition interlock, so you can't watch TV while driving. You should check for voltage at the TV plug with both the engine off then on. You can decide from there.

An inverter only powers 120V items. The lights, water pump, etc run off of 12V. A converter (plugged into a 120V source...converts from 120V to 12V) powers the 12V items in an RV. Most times a converter and an inverter are separate units. ...sometimes they are built as a single unit. Your wiring diagram will let you know for sure.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

There is a good chance that you have a small ( low watt output ) inverter.

They may block the plug so you don't overload it.

You could still charge phones an I Pads, they don't draw much.

The alternator will cover the load of a small inverter, in the 300 to 400 watt range.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I was looking at a 2015 View brochure. It shows a 1000 watt inverter as standard equipment. I'll assume that it's a separate unit. Winnebago often installs a cheaper, modified sine wave (MSW) inverter. Some electronics don't like a MSW source. Pure sine wave (PSW) inverters don't have this limitation. Check the type of inverter you have and make sure your devices are compatible.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You seem to have :"Inverter" and "Converter" confused.

Inverters generally DO power the TV,,, and all the other electroincs nearby (Radio, Sat receiver, DVR Et-Al)

CONVERTERS power LED lights, the water pump Furnace, Control power for Everything, Fans and such.

Now. to confuse things further. Some "inline" inverters double as converters when shore power is present.

To answer your question.. Yes, no problem at all to do what you want
Old 12-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You seem to have :"Inverter" and "Converter" confused.

To answer your question.. Yes, no problem at all to do what you want
You are correct re: my confusion I think my inverter is performing both duties. I'll make sure.

Can I plug something more powerful into the power strip - say a PS4 (135 watts)? Basically, is there a max watts I should stay below while driving? I have it in my mind that I can drain the house batteries faster than the alternator can recharge them.

Thanks for the advice - new and learning.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The brute force way to determine what you want to know is to unplug the shore cable, turn on the inverter, and plug something like an outlet tester into each outlet in the coach. You should have one of those and non-contact voltage tester in your coach tool kit anyway to troubleshoot electrical issues. If you have the usual 1000 W inverter Winnebago uses it has a built in GFCI outlet that all the loads are wired thru so be sure not to push the test button on the outlet tester or it will trip the GFCI on the output side of the inverter and you will have to find the inverter and push the reset button on the GFCI.

If it's a 1000 Watt Inverter you will like find outlet by the bedroom headboard on it to provide protected power for CPAP breathing machines, as well as the outlets that feed 120 volt TVs. Perhaps also a overhead cabinet where a Sat TV receiver would go will have an inverter fed outlet as well.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You should have a 220 amp alternator or over 2500 watts. Your inverter is at most 1000 watts output. You won't deplete the batteries while driving. I would be more concerned with the MSW inverter killing the PS4.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The short answer is yes, there is a limit. Per Winnebago you have a 220 Amp alternator standard on the unit. You do not know what the normal loads are on the engine and chassis. Some can be managed and some not as in you probably do not run the headlights in the daytime etc. Batteries draw a lot of current to recharge early in the cycle then drop down during the float stage. If I was going to mess around much I would consider a battery monitor system.

That said adding a 135 W PS4 will probably not be a problem. It's going to draw 11-12 amps DC to run the converter.

I found specs here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySt...specifications

That indicates a very robust power supply for what you are doing. It will probably run fine on any kind of inverter.

Just don't replace the game box with the Mr Coffee. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Just don't replace the game box with the Mr Coffee. ;-)
Wow - you're not kidding - I checked out our Keurig - 1500 watts! I guess anything with a heating element is going to pull some power.

Can I use things like a Mr. Coffee / Keurig while on shore power / generator power?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I use a 4 cup Mr. Coffee on a 1000 watt inverter all of the time. Coffee is my beer.

Mine draws 700 watts for the minute it brews. I don't let it sit on the warmer as that uses a some watts, switching on and off.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Power is volts x amps=watts. Watch the wattage rating on the inverter because most will shut down instead of trying to feed to big a load. The other side of that is the battery capacity.

For your game a 300 Watt inverter would be enough. That would be 300/12=25 Amp maximum draw.

Your Keurig @ 1500W is 1500/12=125 Amps so big feed wire to the inverter and more current than your deep cycle battery is probably happy supplying.

Its really a balancing issue. The main thing is be aware of what your decisions cost in terms of power as that will show you what it costs in dollars. 300 W is about the maximum of what can be done with the old cigar lighter accessory socket. Maybe a bit more as I think they are typically fused at 20 A. Going that route is easy and will give you power to run the game machine and charge cell phones or most portable computer devices. If you want more than that you are getting into special wiring and a lot of issues.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman4639 View Post
I have a new 2016 View 24J (much more on that in the new member area).

I understand shore power / house batteries / generator / etc. and what is used when.

I would like to be able to use at least 1-2 120v outlets while driving. My understanding is that the inverter is only powering the TV's, LED coach lights, water pump, etc. Essentially everything except the convection over / microwave, AC/Heat Pump, and the 120v outlets.

Two questions:
- Can the inverter power at least one non-TV outlet?
- I did note that the TV installed over the sink is plugged into a 120v outlet. The TV plug covers both outlets. Can I simply plug a power strip into that outlet and plug in the TV along with something else (like an iPad charger)? Or will that over drain the house batteries faster than the alternator is charging them? I could at least use one at a time, I have to imagine the charger draws far less than a TV.
- Is there a mod / install I can do to enable more outlets while driving?

Thanks!
I have found Winnebago very easy to work with and calling the factory with your S/N and asking them exactly the questions you want answered about your specific coach could easily be answered.

Tags
inverter