Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well we are very happy with our 2005 Vectra but have experience the following: Had to have a new inverter put in, first one was bad it was smoking, air pump for sleep number bed burned up, and last night the con./micro wave burned up at least it smells like wires inside burned, which of course caused the detector to go off. Anyone have any ideas - bad circuit board - bad luck? We have an appointment on May 30 to have it looked at. Almost forgot about our electric blanket controls which melted. Oh yeah, the freezer frosts over when it makes ice.

Thanks for any help
Motorhome05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well we are very happy with our 2005 Vectra but have experience the following: Had to have a new inverter put in, first one was bad it was smoking, air pump for sleep number bed burned up, and last night the con./micro wave burned up at least it smells like wires inside burned, which of course caused the detector to go off. Anyone have any ideas - bad circuit board - bad luck? We have an appointment on May 30 to have it looked at. Almost forgot about our electric blanket controls which melted. Oh yeah, the freezer frosts over when it makes ice.

Thanks for any help
Old 05-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

With all the electrical things burning up, it sounds like you have been subjected to one or more overvoltage situations. If you don't have a Surge Guard or something similiar, you really should get one before something else (TV, VCR, etc.) fries.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you don't have a Surge Guard or something similiar, you really should get one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's sound advice!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We do have a surge guard. We did not have one when the electric blanket controls smoked, but we had one last night when the oven burnt. Thanks for your answers.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Don't have all of your problems but my MW w/convection on 01 adv went out in smoke (luckily in garage where I took it out after not functioning (fuze blew while on 6000 mile trip). Bought a cheap Walmart job until we got home.
Don't know if my problem was high voltage as nothing else has failed.
Replaced Sharp MW with a Sharp non-convection type because we never used that function. Prefer oven. But if you do so go for the nlower wattage units if you only have 30 amps.
And for those who may have to replace their MW. Remove the MW and find out where the structural plates behind fiber glass walls are then try to find a replacement that has a backplate that accomodates. (Make small drill holes as I did ) I was able to find one that used most of the structure but was better because of the top holes holding to the cabinet structure.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We tried using the convection oven in our new 35U last weekend, it was a total bust. It would try to preheat, but then just quit.

Called Sharp Monday and they referred me to a local repair shop that came by this morning - only problem is he didn't have a clue what to do - muttered something about calling Sharp and seeing what parts they wanted to try replacing.

Needless to say, I got hold of them first and got another repair shop coming next week.

It's a shame that more of these problems don't get found in PDI, but I didn't even think it would be necessary to check out the convection part (but did the microwave) or spend several hour making sure the icemaker worked (it doesn't).

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:05 AM   #8

MTRHM5

It sounds like you got the Surge Guard after the fact and now things are going to happen. Unless you had the Surge Guard from day one and always had it on line when every you were connected to shore power, your going to have a hard time explaining that to Winnebago.

If you did in fact get hit with a voltage spike, look for other equipment to fail. The electronics in our coaches are not designed, nor will they take spikes or brown outs.

Over the past 3 years I've been trying to keep a topic at the top of these forums about "NEVER CONNECTING TO ANY SHORE POWER WITHOUT A SURGE PROTECTION DEVICE IN/ON LINE".

Our lives would be a lot simpliar if RVIA would mandate that all RVs be equiped with wholehouse Surge Protection.

Tomcat F15