Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I am new to the forum and a new RV owner. I have just purchesed a 2008 Suncruiser 38J. The rig has an inverter. I understand that an inverter changes DC to AC. What I don't understand is when would I use the inverter. Thanks Ann
Ann Gilchrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I am new to the forum and a new RV owner. I have just purchesed a 2008 Suncruiser 38J. The rig has an inverter. I understand that an inverter changes DC to AC. What I don't understand is when would I use the inverter. Thanks Ann
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Ann and welcome...You would use your inverter someplace where you didn't have electrical hookups (boondocking) or couldn't use your generator and you wanted to use 120v power for something...You can't do this forever and it depends on how big of an inverter you have and your house battery capacities. You have to keep an eye on your house battery voltage...

Hope this helps..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ann,

Welcome to the forum.

You're correct that an inverter inverts 12 Volts DC to 120 Volts AC. Typically you would use the inverter anytime you wish to use your 120 volt appliances and you are not plugged into shore power.

You Winnebago will either have a high power inverter option that will typically power all of the outlets in the coach along with the microwave, or it will have a low power inverter that typically just supplys 120 volts AC to the television/entertainment system.

Most often, the inverter is used when so passengers can use the entertainment system or run other small 120 volt devices.

Most Winnebago's come standart with the low power (300 watt) inverter, but the high power version (1500 to 2000 watt) versions that power the entire coach are optional so it depends on which you purchased to determine how many items in your particular rig are powered from the inverter.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ann Gilchrest:
I am new to the forum and a new RV owner. I have just purchesed a 2008 Suncruiser 38J. The rig has an inverter. I understand that an inverter changes DC to AC. What I don't understand is when would I use the inverter. Thanks Ann </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We use ours when watching a movie during 'quiet time' at camp grounds...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ann, your 38J has a 600w inverter. It's setup to power both TVs, VCR/CD player and satellite receiver. I think since Winnebago went form 300w to 600w that there may be a couple outlets powered also. You'd have to check outlets with a night light or a meter with the inverter on and the motorhome unplugged from shore power. The inverter has to be turned on and the switch is in the hall in the all in one center.

Your batteries should last an evening of TV viewing.

Any other questions please post to iRV2.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We use the inverter to power the laptop with our GPS software on it while running down the road. The 110 outlet next to the passager seat is powered by the inverter.I think the 110 outlet in the overhead on the passanger side is also powered by the inverter.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N: the switch is in the hall in the all in one center. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom,
You must have a mid-year engineering change. My inverter ON switch is up in the forward, top RH cabinet with the inverter.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone I think I've got it! Ann
Old 02-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N: the switch is in the hall in the all in one center. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom,
You must have a mid-year engineering change. My inverter ON switch is up in the forward, top RH cabinet with the inverter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank;

Mine is where yours is but with the new 600w inverters the inverter switch is in the One Place panel. The inverter is mounted somewhere close to the batteries. Same setup as a 2000 watter.

I wish I had that 600 watt inverter in my '05. Winnebago switched from 300 to 600 in 2006.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know if the 1998 Chieftain DP comes with an inverter? I can't find a control anywhere.

Dale Johnson
Old 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EasyDoesIt:
Does anyone know if the 1998 Chieftain DP comes with an inverter? I can't find a control anywhere. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't see one listed in the brochure: 98 Chieftan Brochure

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote