Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Inverter

Just picked up a 2013 Vista 30T. Dealer was not very helpful with instructions.
We are plugged in at our site, the inverter has to be on to power on the TV's, is that normal ? The microwave is working so I'm pretty sure we have shore power.
Also when on, the inverter has the orange indicator light on that says battery.
Is this all normal ??
Jim
JimA7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Your inverter does not have to be turned on unless you have dedicated plugs that are wired only from an inverter. Normally an inverter light is green. Not knowing what inverter you have or how it is wired it is hard to give you a good answer. It would have to be a larger inverter and additional batteries to operate a microwave. I would unplug the shore power and do a test of the outlets while the inverter is turned on. More information would help giving better answer. Hopefully this is a start.
jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Most good inverters in RVs have a built in transfer switch that bypasses the inverter function connecting the load to the A.C. power it has sensed. You will not be using the inverter function or depleting the batteries.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

JimA7489, your inverter is the same as the one in our coach. With shore power connected or the generator running the inverter does not need to be on. It has an automatic transfer switch build in.
Check the breaker feeding the inverter. The recepts on both sides of the headboard are fed from the same breaker and are in the circuit before the inverter, check them for power.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Xantrex Pro Xm1000 issue

My Xantrex Pro XM1000 does not seem to recognize that shore power is active. My 30 amp service is good as it runs AC and Microwave but when the Inverter is turned on to use the TV outlets it only goes to orange status which is battery. It should go green when using shore power.
The inverter does power up the TV outlets and always shows a good voltage.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

JimA7489, need to determent if you have 110vac getting to the inverter.
1) Is there power at the two recepts by the head board in the bedroom?
2) According to the drawings there are plug connectors in the line and load side of the inverter 110vac wiring. Without the inverter option the plugs are connected together.
With the inverter option the inverter 110vac wires are connected to the plugs. Look by the inverter and see if the plugs are connected. They are up and forward of the inverter.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Inverter issues

The two recepts by the head of the bed have power without Inverter on.
The plugs by the forward and rear TV's and also by passenger seat do not have power without inverter on.

Looks like two lines coming in to a block mounted above inverter and two lines coming out to the inverter are all tightly fitted.

I checked everything with 30amp plugged in.

Still no green light on status display for Inverter.

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

JimA7489 OK need to know if there is 110VAC going into the inverter. Do you have a Voltage tester pen (non contract tester)?
When you look at the face of the inverter input power is on the your right side and output power is on the your left side.
First check without shore power and inverter on this will show you which wire is the inverter output.
Second check with shore power and inverter off this will show you the wire feeding power to the inverter.
Check both sides of the plug connectors.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

JimA7489, I just sent you a private message.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA7489 View Post
Just picked up a 2013 Vista 30T. Dealer was not very helpful with instructions.
We are plugged in at our site, the inverter has to be on to power on the TV's, is that normal ? The microwave is working so I'm pretty sure we have shore power.
Also when on, the inverter has the orange indicator light on that says battery.
Is this all normal ??
Jim
Jim, so many of us struggle with the inverter when we are new to our rv. I suggest that you take a look in your owners documentation bag for some information about your electrical systems. Physically locate each of the major components. Find the make and model of your inverter, if you don't now know. With that you can look on the manufactures website for more information or contact them directly with your questions. If yours is only a converter it is used as a battery charger, as I understand it. An inverter will provide AC to certain outlets when not on shore power.
Seeing you seems to be new to this rv, maybe even coach camping, I suggest that you tighten all of the electrical connections in your main panel, ATS, converter, and what ever else you can find. Remember to unplug before doing this and shut off the generator breaker. This procedure is a good way to get to know your electrical systems and it could save you some costly repairs in the future.
Here is a wire diagram for your coach: https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_180823.pdf

At the bottom of each page is the models the page represent. Please don't miss this because you could be easily confused.
Happy trails.
Rick
Old 11-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rick and all others who responded to my Inverter issue....
It seems the problem is the there is power going in to the Xantrex pro xm1000, but no power going out. It is not switching over when on shore power.
Therefore I am assuming the inverter needs to be replaced.
Jim
Old 11-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Here's a link to a fella that had a similar problem on the sister site to this forum.
You can skip a lot of it, and just pay close attention to how to bypass the inverter until you can get it replaced.

No 120 VAC Anywhere in Coach. - iRV2 Forums
Old 11-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Before jumping into replace it, I would want to make sure that all the small items feeding it are right as many things require the right info to make the right decisions. One quickie way to "shotgun" some things is to take the connections lose one at a time or marked and make sure they are all making good contact as corrosion is one of the bigger things which give us trouble. Power in but none out might just be a simple control wire not making good contact?
Wishful thinking, I know, but then it might save a bunch of headache and money.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA7489 View Post
Thanks Rick and all others who responded to my Inverter issue....
It seems the problem is the there is power going in to the Xantrex pro xm1000, but no power going out. It is not switching over when on shore power.
Therefore I am assuming the inverter needs to be replaced.
Jim
You're welcome, Jim. Xantrex has a bad reputation for failing. I have personally had a bad experience with one of there bigger models.

Inverters are straight forward. No magic wires. DC in = AC out. AC in = DC out. The controller is the only point of user problems. If it is set to "Inv on" the batteries will supply power to the inverter to allow it to produce AC. When on shore power the AC will pass through the ATS built into the inverter.
You might remove it and open the case to see if there just might be an internal fuse that has failed for some reason.
Here is a good pure sine wave inverter: https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energ...-p/mms1012.htm
The price may seem more than you want to pay but the reputation of Magnum is good. I have used Magnum for years and I am very happy with the quality and reliability of this inverter. Also, I have had dealings with DonRowe. Good people.
Hope you find the fix that works best for you.
Rick
Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

As Rick has mentioned above, there are no "magic wires" on this particular item but the point often missed is that it does take a bit of "magic" to make it work and there are many times when we may fail to get that power connection going in and just assume it does. I want to KNOW that the connections are good before I buy another part? One way to know the connections are all good is to take some time to clean and make sure. Not as big an issue on this simple stuff but very important on more complex stuff with lots of other wiring.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Inverter issue

Thanks for all the advice. I am dealing with a 2013 Vista with 2K miles on it and has been garaged since new. The inverter did work a few days before I purchased it two weeks ago.
Looking at the inverter mounted way back in a side bay I noticed all the wiring going in and out is secured very well, very clean, and nothing seems to be loose to the touch.
For 248.00, I am going with a new inverter. Cost wise right now that is the thing to do.

Thanks
Jim

Tags
inverter