Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Intermittent Starting Issue Itasca Meridian 34Y

I'm new to the group and thought I'd throw out my electrical problem to see if anyone has had something similar happen to them. Thanks in advance for your support!

I have a Itasca Meridian 34Y with an intermittent starting issue. Sometimes when you turn the key, the glow plugs cycle but when you attempt to start, nothing happens.

I hired a heavy engine tech who bypasses the starting system to put electricity directly to the starter just to get us started, then after running for a while he shut if off and it started afterwards so he thought there was a low voltage disconnect issue and that charging up the engine batteries would fix the issue.

I then picked it up after buying it, drove for 1.5 hours and then it wouldn't start. I got it going again after resetting the engine/house main switches at the front and going to the back and rapping on the Intellitec Big Boy Battery Disconnect 00-00507-512. I called the manufacturer of this and they don't feel this disconnect is the issue because the glow plugs cycled which would show that high power was getting through. The "boost" switch does nothing to help the issue.

I went back to the RV a week later and it started right up, but surely this will happen again and I'll be stuck somewhere! Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks so much!

Jeff, Sasha, Frieda and Kuma
RoadEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEngineer View Post
I'm new to the group and thought I'd throw out my electrical problem to see if anyone has had something similar happen to them. Thanks in advance for your support!

I have a Itasca Meridian 34Y with an intermittent starting issue. Sometimes when you turn the key, the glow plugs cycle but when you attempt to start, nothing happens.

I hired a heavy engine tech who bypasses the starting system to put electricity directly to the starter just to get us started, then after running for a while he shut if off and it started afterwards so he thought there was a low voltage disconnect issue and that charging up the engine batteries would fix the issue.

I then picked it up after buying it, drove for 1.5 hours and then it wouldn't start. I got it going again after resetting the engine/house main switches at the front and going to the back and rapping on the Intellitec Big Boy Battery Disconnect 00-00507-512. I called the manufacturer of this and they don't feel this disconnect is the issue because the glow plugs cycled which would show that high power was getting through. The "boost" switch does nothing to help the issue.

I went back to the RV a week later and it started right up, but surely this will happen again and I'll be stuck somewhere! Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks so much!

Jeff, Sasha, Frieda and Kuma
Hi Jeff and gang. Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of this problem. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the control module on top of the Allison transmission.
The correct test procedure is to see if the start signal, from the key being in the crank position, is being seen going into the transmission module. If YES the harness is good. Next, see if the crank signal is getting out of the transmission module. If NO the module is defective. If YES the harness to the starter has a problem or the starter is interment faulty.
I had a starter on another coach not always engaging and the tech put a braided wire from one end of the starter case to the other. Worked fine after that. There was an internal failure of the ground. I traded the coach with this fix still in place.
Please let us know what is found.

If you have a commercial bus repair shop in your area try going to them with this problem. They are more familiar working on bus style rigs.
Happy trails,
Rick
Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Hi Jeff and gang. Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of this problem. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the control module on top of the Allison transmission.
The correct test procedure is to see if the start signal, from the key being in the crank position, is being seen going into the transmission module. If YES the harness is good. Next, see if the crank signal is getting out of the transmission module. If NO the module is defective. If YES the harness to the starter has a problem or the starter is interment faulty.
I had a starter on another coach not always engaging and the tech put a braided wire from one end of the starter case to the other. Worked fine after that. There was an internal failure of the ground. I traded the coach with this fix still in place.
Please let us know what is found.

If you have a commercial bus repair shop in your area try going to them with this problem. They are more familiar working on bus style rigs.
Happy trails,
Rick
Thanks Rick! I really appreciate your reply and will have to look at this. I'll see if I can locate these and be able to perform the testing when it fails on me again..
RoadEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Rick! I really appreciate your reply and will have to look at this. I'll see if I can locate these and be able to perform the testing when it fails on me again..
Your a better man than me. I wouldn't know where to find the diagram, let alone get into the harness. And, besides that I'm not as agile as I was about 20 years ago.
Let us know hat you find.
Rick
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

As an update - I am no better of a man! I did test to find that the main power disconnect switch was operating properly, but I couldn't attempt the diagnosing steps you laid out. Didn't even know where to start. I've called Cummins who is coming to the RV tomorrow and get 'er fixed up!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
As an update - I am no better of a man! I did test to find that the main power disconnect switch was operating properly, but I couldn't attempt the diagnosing steps you laid out. Didn't even know where to start. I've called Cummins who is coming to the RV tomorrow and get 'er fixed up!
I hope they can. I had high hopes you would be able to fix this yourself. Thanks for the update.
Rick
Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Update - I bent over and paid $1400 for Freightliner to change out the starter - which they diagnosed as the issue. They kinda had their way with me and I'll be sure to source more reasonable options in the future.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Update - I bent over and paid $1400 for Freightliner to change out the starter - which they diagnosed as the issue. They kinda had their way with me and I'll be sure to source more reasonable options in the future.

Yea. They have a way of doing that. I hope this solves your problem. That will be a big $ shame if it is the transmission ECU, as in my case.

Happy trails,
Rick

Tags
itasca