Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #1

While on our trip to Branson over ThanksGiving, something different was with the Advantium 120 TriVection Oven. It seened really dark when we opened the door. We forgot if it had a light or not, so we waited till we go home to check it out and of course, the owners manual didn't give any information about there even being a light. Two days before I headed off to the RVIA dealer show in Louisville, I called GE to see if they could help. That started out to be a mistake, it took four people before I finely got the correct answer. As it turned out, there is a 10 watt 12 volt halogen buried in the top of the interior. Now, heres the best part of this feascal. GE Parts Dept has it listed for $26.95 . Now when you see this little bugger, the first thing you'll say to yourself is, how in the heck can such a small little bulb cost so much? Well that's exactly what I asked.

Thanks to the Internet and my handy search knowledge, I found the exact replacement for $6.75, now thats more like it, wouldn't you say?

I don't know where GE buys there parts, but that's wayout of line by more then 400%.

Now I get the pleasure of taking the Tirvection Oven apart to replace the bulb, got to keep the other half happy. Oh, buy the way, I bought some extras, just incase this happens to a weak point in this oven.

Tomcat F15
"Parts are parts are parts, what you have to pay for them is another story."
Old 12-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #2

While on our trip to Branson over ThanksGiving, something different was with the Advantium 120 TriVection Oven. It seened really dark when we opened the door. We forgot if it had a light or not, so we waited till we go home to check it out and of course, the owners manual didn't give any information about there even being a light. Two days before I headed off to the RVIA dealer show in Louisville, I called GE to see if they could help. That started out to be a mistake, it took four people before I finely got the correct answer. As it turned out, there is a 10 watt 12 volt halogen buried in the top of the interior. Now, heres the best part of this feascal. GE Parts Dept has it listed for $26.95 . Now when you see this little bugger, the first thing you'll say to yourself is, how in the heck can such a small little bulb cost so much? Well that's exactly what I asked.

Thanks to the Internet and my handy search knowledge, I found the exact replacement for $6.75, now thats more like it, wouldn't you say?

I don't know where GE buys there parts, but that's wayout of line by more then 400%.

Now I get the pleasure of taking the Tirvection Oven apart to replace the bulb, got to keep the other half happy. Oh, buy the way, I bought some extras, just incase this happens to a weak point in this oven.

Tomcat F15
"Parts are parts are parts, what you have to pay for them is another story."
Old 12-11-2003, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Nice work, Tomcat. Now, how about sharing your source. The bulb in my GE micro at home is burned out, and if it's not the same little bugger that your's takes, I can probably find the right one where you bought yours. Others here can also keep that info on file for the inevitable. Thanks.

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I see right now if it ever happens to me, I'm gonna buy one of those $1.00 plastic Ray-o-vac flashlights and give it to the better half "to make her happy" so that she can see inside her oven!

'95 Winnebago Vectra we lovingly call "The Beast"
Old 12-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #5

Capt. Bill

I would think they may be the same. The Advantiun 120, refers to their 120 Volt unit, as we have the same unit at home, but it's their 220 Volt unit. I believe they are using a step down transformer in there to step down to 12 volts for the electronics and the bulb. I wouldn't think they'd use the coach's 12 volts.

The bulb is a Sylvania Bi-pin halogen, 10 watt, 12volt, #58658 G4 10T3Q/CL and their available at www.BUYLIGHTING.COM

Keep in mind when you change any halogen bulb, YOU DONT TOUCH THE GLASS WITH YOUR FINGERS. Handling the bulbs with your bare fingers, leves oil on the glass surface, which intensifies the heat of the buld and they'll burn out in short time. What I do, when I handle these type of bulbs, is to stall the bulb, then I use a little starting fluid(ether or alcohol) on a paper towel and wipe the bulb surface clean, before it's every turned on.

Tomcat F15
"Finger prints will get you in trouble every time."
Old 12-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat F15:

Tomcat F15
"Parts are parts are parts, what you have to pay for them is another story."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is a "Sharp" Convection in my 2003 Adventure, also noted no bulb "light" in MW, had to pay $6.75 for bulb, $20 for labor, thought it should be covered under warrenty, they said "NO", even after I told them "It never did work when NEW" I did not know there was a bulb that "burned out".

Bruce

33' Winnebago Adventure 8.1 Workhorse W-22
Tow a Jeep Cherokee With Tow-V-Aire Braking System"
Old 12-12-2003, 05:03 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Tomcat F15 Thanks for the information. Yes, I knew about the handling of halogen bulbs, but it always is worth repeating. I will try to remove my old one today or over the weekend, and get a new one ordered. Appreciate your help.

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
Old 12-12-2003, 05:52 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The small Bi-Pin 10 watt 12 volt Halogen bulbs are becoming very popular. I believe the same bulb is used in our Journey undercabinent in the bedroom as well as in most undercabinent lights sold in Home Improvement stores.

I just checked the HomeDepot site as I thought I had bought the bulbs there previously. I'd suggest taking the burnt out bulb to Home Depot and comparing it to the one they sell.

They sell Lusa Lighting brand, but the bulb appears to be the same. Their price is $ 2.98.

Now that is a LOT of markup by GE parts department.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36GD
Freightliner Chassis, Cat 330
Chevy Malibu Toad, Blue Ox Aventa II, USG Brake
Old 12-12-2003, 06:25 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

RVDriver: I also have the Sharp MW in my 2003 Adventurer 38G. Did they give any clue as to how to change the bulb, i.e. access? I'm putting gas in my chainsaw.
BTW, I think GE gets their pricing from the Pentagon.

Will

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thudman, send me your e-mail address, we leave dec 26th, I will look, I think it is behind an access pannel, that you remove screws from on the inside. They did not show me but when I get to Texas I will look. Before I did not een know where the bulb was---Never saw a light on!!!

Too cold in Minnesota to look now!

[email protected]

Bruce

33' Winnebago Adventure 8.1 Workhorse W-22
Tow a Jeep Cherokee With Tow-V-Aire Braking System"
Old 12-12-2003, 06:06 PM   #11

Joe-k'
Thats just fine, now you tell me where I can get it, after all that work. This even adds more insult to the fire with GE. $26.95 for a ROC bulb and I thought I was getting a deal at $6.75 for a Sylvania, now you come back with another bulb for $2.75! Whats GE doing to their customers?
Instead of hammering on the coach manfactures, it's time to hit GE.

Tomcat F15
" I don't mind when a company make a decent profit, but this is way out of line."
Old 12-13-2003, 04:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am amazed that GE bothers with stocking and selling hardware-store parts that are readily available from local sources. Acquiring, cataloging, shelving, locating, and shipping nuts, bolts, light bulbs, fuses, etc., is costly for a company that owns rafts of other companies that do the actual manufacturing. The high price for the bulb has to include the costs for the time of all the customer service people you went through and probably the cost of locating it among the jet engine parts, etc. If GE had a monopoly on the bulb and was price gouging, that would be worth criticising. It sounds like you got the information you needed (the identification of the bulb)for FREE! Like most huge corporations, the parts and accessories departments are obliged to charge enough to cover their costs and return a profit to the mother ship. You've shown that GE is not the place to shop for light bulbs. It can never compete with ACE or Home Depot on these items.

RAS

2004 Brave 34D

1998 CR-V
raspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:53 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Keep buying those bulbs from GE; it's good for my stock prices! Besides, they have to pay that guy they send down to Home Depot to buy your lamp, and ship it to you

CaptBill
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD
Indian River, De
Old 12-13-2003, 04:57 PM   #14

There's always a wise acker in the crowd, not mentioning any names.

TC15
Old 06-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

i read the problems with the interior light inside the Advantium ovens and was wondering if anyone could help me. We have a Travel Supreme motor home with an advantium oven. We know where the interior bulb is and even have an extra bulb but for some reason we are having a hard time to remove the top grill to install the new bulb. Any ideas
sdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Hi folks,

There's an Advantium group on Yahoo that has a number of post giving details on replacing the light bulbs, etc. (You probably will need to sign up for the group, but that's easy to do.)
Yahoo Advantium group

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote