Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Interior L E D Light Replacement

Is it ok to replace interior bulbs with L E Ds,,also dimmers without any special research?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

GG1,
I've replaced about 2/3 of our interior lighting and, 100% of the exterior lighting with LEDs. Not the lights on the outside of the coach, yet, I'm talking about all the compartment lights. Of the inside, we only have two lights that are "dimmable" and I've not changed those 'cause we don't use them anyway, they're in the bedroom. But, the savings in heat generation, house battery longevity, and light bulb duration is phenominal. I will warn you, they are costly in the initial onset. I have yet to figure out why, they've only produced LED bulbs now for years so, the cost should be down but, it's just like solar panels, they've been making them for years too but, they're still up there in cost.

Anyway, I've been doing business with this company on line. www.superbrightleds.com and they're a very informative company. They have just about every bulb imaginable in LED. If you visit that site, you might get a bit confused at first because there's so much info but, take your time, cruise around on the site and see what they have to offer. So far, I've not been disapointed in any of my purchases. Our coach is far better off now in all the terms mentioned above than it ever was. I'm still outfitting it with more bulbs from that company.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the info I have been to the web site and did find it very confusing. I am not sure which ones to order for the specific replacements guess I need to talk to Winnebago or the led company
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have replaced 100% of our "puck light" G4 Halogen blubs with LED assemblies that I purchased on Ebay and am very happy with them. There are two "colors" of LEDs that you will find. The 3000~k LED will emit about the same color of light, sort of yellowish, that a normal blub emits. The 6000~K LED will emit a bluish, almost daylight, color of light. I have 3000k LEDs in the bedroom and some in the living area. I use the 6500k LEDs for reading and areas that I want brighter lighting.

Here is a link to the 6500K LEDs that I pruchased for the G-4 replacement.
5pcs G4 24-3528 SMD LED Pure white Light Bulb Lamp New | eBay

Here are the 3000~K LEDs
Car G4 24 SMD LED Warm White Spot Light Bulb Lamp 12V | eBay

I have purchased the following for use in other applications like outside lights, light fixtures and etc.
8x White T10 BA9S 48 LED SMD Dome Car Panel Interior Reading Lamp Light Bulbs | eBay

Here is a thread I started on my G-4 replacments...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/led-r...bs-110329.html

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

GG1,
What Texnet is primarily referring to is cool white vs warm white. It's the same kind of comparison you'd use in florescent lights. Yes, one of my replacement sets was all of the Puck lights in the living room and bed room. The DW wanted lights as close to the original lighting color as possible for the "ambiance" effect and I wanted the cool white for brighter effects, guess who won?

You don't have to go to Winnebago or an LED sight to find out what you need. All you have to do is pull the various bulbs and look at the base. For instance, if you have "Puck" lights like Texnet and I do, those are the little round lights embedded in the ceiling and under the cabinets in some coaches. A slight twist will remove the lens and garnish ring. You'll then see a very small bulb, usually a Halogen 10 watt. with a base that consists of two pins, about 3/32 in diameter each, about 1/4" apart and about 1/2" long.

That base is called a "G-4" base. so, when looking up LED bulbs for replacing those seriously hot, energy consuming Halogen bulbs, simply look for G-4 base bulbs and then you decide if you want cool white (higher Kelvin rating) or warm white, (lower Kelvin rating). Kelvin rating is otherwise known as CCT or Color Core Temperature. It means, in plain language, how bright and type of color the bulb puts out. The higher the CCT/Kelvin rating the whiter the light is.

A rating of around 6000K is approaching a super slight hue of blue. But almost not detectable. The 3000K rating is your normal head light, interior lights, incandescent light bulbs etc. color of light.

Now, if you pull other bulbs and have other bases, like one that's just like the old "back up" bulb in the older cars, that's a 15MM base bulb. In LED sights, it's referenced as a BA-15. And it will also have a designation as a "Bayonet" base. Remember those bulbs, you might even have the same bases in some of your present lamps in your coach. You have to push and twist to get them out or re-install them.

Then, you'll also note that some have a single contact on the base of that bulb and some have two contacts. When on the LED site of choice, you'd look up an LED with a "BA-15 base, single contact, cool white or warm white"

There's other bases you might come in contact with too. For instance, the tiny bulbs in side marker lights on many cars and some interior light fixtures are "Wedge base". There's at least two sizes. The ones that come as side marker lights have smaller wedge bases and the ones like you have in Malibu lighting have larger wedge bases. You simply need to know which ones you need for the replacement LEDs you'll be using. In some in my compartment lights that had a "BA-9" base. That's a smaller (9 mm) bayonet base.

OK enough for now. But, hopefully this info will assist in searching for the correct LED replacements. Again, you just need to know the base style and size, color temp preferred, and, some of them in the LED sites have a broad cast array setting. That is, it (any LED BULB in question) will broadcast it's light in a 30, 60, 90, or even a 120 light array pattern. Obviously the 120 degree is most like a normal light bulb in that it will throw as much light in all directions as possible. The 30 degree will be more like a spot light. Hope this helps. If not or, you have more questions, PM me an I'd be glad to assist.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post

I have purchased the following for use in other applications like outside lights, light fixtures and etc.
8x White T10 BA9S 48 LED SMD Dome Car Panel Interior Reading Lamp Light Bulbs | eBay

Here is a thread I started on my G-4 replacments...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/led-r...bs-110329.html
Before you spend $20.61 for a panel LED replacement, check These. You don't have to purchase 8 of them...
Old 02-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
Before you spend $20.61 for a panel LED replacement, check These. You don't have to purchase 8 of them...
There are tons of LEDs on Ebay, the links I provided were just examples of ones that I purchased and was pleased with the seller and the product

Yes, you can purchase one at a time but I was replacing LOTs of blubs.. I actually ordered about 40 of these and I also wanted the higher temp LEDs i.e. 6000k-6500k.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
No problem - I was just pointing out that if someone wants to experiment, purchasing one is less expensive. While I ordered my trailer with LED fixtures, a few (the porch light & vent hood) still came with incandescent. I've replaced them with LEDs.

Tags
replacement