Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Installing home shore power

I'm getting ready to install a 30 amp receptical at home for my 2000 Chieftain 35u. Recently I tried to hook up with two different relatives' home
amp recepticals. They had power, but the a/c wouldn't work. In both cases we moved to a local campground with no problems. I'm concerned about making sure what I install will work like a campground connection.
I'll be running 85 feet of 10/3 gauge wire in case we switch to a 50 amp coach later. From what I've researched, 10 gauge should be adequate. I'll be connecting to a breaker box in my garage with 50 amps coming in from the house. Is that adequate? (Of course, I'll be installing a 30 amp breaker in the box.)
I haven't a clue why the outlets at those homes couldn't power my a/c, but I will need to have the confidence that this will work because the RV will be used as a guest room for visitors.
What don't I know??
Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Is your garage power wired through a sub panel ?
How many existing breakers in the panel , total amps ?
You would need to find the wiring codes for your area, but with a 50 amp single pole breaker in the house; HERE, a sub panel would be allowed 100 amps of breakers installed. Thinking being not all loads will be on at once.
If there is room in the sub panel , both space and load factor , installing a 30 amp breaker should not be a problem.
However, because 50 amp RV service , is actually 2 50 amp lines to the RV, you are probably going to have to run heavier wire back to the main panel in the house when you up grade. If your main panel has adequate space and power available.
Caution.
Local codes and fire insurance regulations involved.
If you do your own wiring and have an electrical fire , your insurance company could deny any claim.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbeaver View Post
...I'll be running 85 feet of 10/3 gauge wire in case we switch to a 50 amp coach later. ...
Thanks.
If planning for future use, I would use 8 gauge (4 wires), 30 or 40 amp breaker, going to a 50A outlet. #10 may work, but I would us #8 for that distance. I have two hookup, both with #8 wire, the longer run is on a 30A breaker (extended unused dryer circuit), the shorter one on a 40A breaker. The 50A outlets require 4 wires and is the same as an electric Range/Oven.

Be very careful wiring 120v, 30A. Lots of people get it Wrong and fry lots of things! Even some electricians will wire it like a 240v welder outlet and that makes smoke in RVs!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Here is the plug testing chart for a 30 amp RV plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30amp plug testing.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	72267  
Old 08-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I agree with Skip426, adding an additional 30 -100 amps of power to your home power panel very likely will exceed your utility 'drop' capacity. In addition, did you ever use a multimeter on the plugs at your relative's homes? A 30 amp RV outlet is identical to many 30 amp dryer or welder outlets, but one is 120 v the other is 240 v. The fact that power didn't pass into your RV, do you have an EMS in your RV that prevents connection with incorrect wiring?

Since you said you want to run 10/3 wire 85' so you can upgrade to 50 amp service later, I wonder if you know what you're doing? RV 50 amp service uses 4 conductors, not three. In addition, an 85' run requires a #4 or better for safety.

I think you should consult a professional electrician. This link has information you should print out and hand the electrician to be sure you get what an RV 30 amp or 50 amp service requires.

The 50-amp 120/240-volt 3 pole 4

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Like others have mentioned 85' is a long run for #10 wire and you will need 3 wires plus ground for a future 50 amp outlet.

Per the book with a 10/3 copper wire with a 30 amp load at 120 volts you would be taking almost a 6 volt loss not counting the length of the power cord going to the RV which could add another 25 feet for a 7 or 8 volt total drop. With a wire run that long 8 or 6 AWG may be needed for a 30 amp outlet with 4 or 2 AWG among the possible choices for the 50 amp outlet.

Then there are ambient temperature considerations too depending on where the wire will be run (attic, basement, walls, underground, etc) and geographic location. Best to consult a local licensed electrician who knows the National Electrical Code and Local Building Code for your area.

You can do a lot of expensive damage to the Basement Air in your 35U with inadequate wiring.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

There is quite a bit of added load, especially at 50 amp. After living in mine for a few weeks while family was in my house, I can tell you it will definitely increase your electric bill... It was quite shocking, with 2 AC units and an RV refer running my bill doubled from the previous year.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I just wired a 50 amp service at home and ran 6/3 with a ground. This was roughly 120 foot run. I can run everything in the coach and no drop in voltage. Easier to go a little larger up front then re-wiring in the future.
Using the calculator below it is recommended to use 6/3 on an 85' run.
http://www.southwire.com/support/vol...calculator.htm
Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I'm getting ready to install a 30 amp receptical at home for my 2000 Chieftain 35u. Recently I tried to hook up with two different relatives' home
amp recepticals. They had power, but the a/c wouldn't work. In both cases we moved to a local campground with no problems. I'm concerned about making sure what I install will work like a campground connection.
I'll be running 85 feet of 10/3 gauge wire in case we switch to a 50 amp coach later. From what I've researched, 10 gauge should be adequate. I'll be connecting to a breaker box in my garage with 50 amps coming in from the house. Is that adequate? (Of course, I'll be installing a 30 amp breaker in the box.)
I haven't a clue why the outlets at those homes couldn't power my a/c, but I will need to have the confidence that this will work because the RV will be used as a guest room for visitors.
What don't I know??
Thanks.
I screwed up. I meant to say 8/3 wire. Regardless, now I plan to decrease the run to 35 feet on 8/3. I'll just put the outlet on the right side and run the shore power plug under the RV. That'll make it more convenient for a light switch anyway.
Thanks for y'all's feedback.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:

I screwed up. I meant to say 8/3 wire. Regardless, now I plan to decrease the run to 35 feet on 8/3. I'll just put the outlet on the right side and run the shore power plug under the RV. That'll make it more convenient for a light switch anyway.
Thanks for y'all's feedback.
Well, you screwed up once again. You need to use 8/4 wire if you plan to possibly upgrade to 50 amp service in the future, NOT 8/3.

You can still only use the three wires, Hot, Neutral and Ground for the 30 amp receptacle leaving one HOT wire unused and not connected on either end. Just tape off the ends for future use.

Maybe you should review this document before proceeding any further.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #11

Quote:

I'm getting ready to install a 30 amp receptacle at home for my 2000 Chieftain 35u. Recently I tried to hook up with two different relatives' home amp receptacle . They had power, but the a/c wouldn't work. In both cases we moved to a local campground with no problems. I'm concerned about making sure what I install will work like a campground connection.

What don't I know??

Thanks.
Your relative's receptacles were obviously wired incorrectly.

I would not be hooking into unknown power sources WITHOUT having a Progressive Industries EMS system protecting your coach from errant electrical sources.

There are those that did and paid the price to the tune of thousands of dollars to replace devices that were fried.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Typically indoor wiring NM is labeled 8/3 WG or with ground, this has the 4 wires required.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Cerrowire-2...word=8%2F3+NMR

If you are buying SO SJ or any other type of cord then you need 8/4 as they typically have all conductors in the callout.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Cerrowire-1...04C/202206508/
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

With a 85 foot run you will need number 6 for a 30 amp setup or a number 4 for a
50 amp setup, not all that much difference in price and allows a up grade.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, power, shore power