Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

installing Dish

I have been transferring my Direct TV Receivers back and forth from the house each season with an occasional problem and mostly figured it out after a bit of frustration. Now we are going to sell the house and I want to have the Dish Traveler installed on the roof of my 2012 Journey 40U. Problem is the Winegard dealer in town sells only trailers and will not work on the MH. The only MH Dealer in town is not an Winnebago dealer and will not do it either. I am a bit concerned about attempting to install it myself. (A bit like working on a boat and having the need to drill a hole in the bottom) That leaves me with two choices, Leave the RV spot and drive 2 to 3 hours after waiting for an appointment, or do it myself. Anybody want to jump in with instructions, or a bit of incouragement?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Luckiest Dreamer The hardest part is getting the antenna up an on the roof. See if one of the local guys will at lease mount it for you if you get all of the necessary info from Winnebago. Then once the antenna is installed you can drill the hole for the cables and finish the install at your own pace.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It really is a handyman job. As Grant mentioned, the most difficult part is getting it on the roof safely.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Luckiest Dreamer, here is a link to a Traveler install. Yours would be easier as you do not have to remove anything. The video is 6 years old but antenna has not changed that much.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Luckiest Dreamer, here is a link to a Traveler install. Yours would be easier as you do not have to remove anything. The video is 6 years old but antenna has not changed that much.
One thing that has changed in the six years, is that I'm even more handsome now...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to you all. Still need to do a bit of research to make it specific to my model. I remember seeing somewhere in print exactly where Winnebago has hidden the factory installed wires. Gotta have them somewhere in my bag of literature. Knowing where the support underneath the roof covering will be my most concern, as I know that most of what is under there is foam!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago used to put a decal on the roof that the cables are under the decal.
Have you looked for one on your roof?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Call Winnie. They will fax or email you a print of the roof showing where all the supporting structure is located. I have the roof, passenger and driver side prints for mine. All the measurements are in MM, so you'll have to convert or get a MM tape measure.

You can do it - I did it when I was 70 and as others have said the biggest problem is getting it on the roof...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Call Winnie. They will fax or email you a print of the roof showing where all the supporting structure is located. I have the roof, passenger and driver side prints for mine. All the measurements are in MM, so you'll have to convert or get a MM tape measure.

You can do it - I did it when I was 70 and as others have said the biggest problem is getting it on the roof...
Thanks for the encouragement, if only I were smart enough to invent a time machine I probably would not have any problems installing one. All I would need to do would be make myself younger and if I made an error, just set the machine back a few years and start again. Not sure how the DW would handle a younger me!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Winnebago used to put a decal on the roof that the cables are under the decal.
Have you looked for one on your roof?
That may have been where I've seen it. I'll have to get back up there and take a better look.

Tags
dish, install