Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Installing an Observation camera on Winnie

Hi

Can you experts give me some advice, please, concerning installing an Observation camera on a Winnie towable. [I did search first but didn't find anything]

* I'm scared to drill the rig, it's just 1 year old. How deep can you push before penetrating the inside?

* I need to pick up / tap power for the camera. I *presume* if I drill near the running lights, I'll get some. Do the manufacturers leave a lot of slack on the wiring to allow for this? Any advice on finding the cables?

* Is using a studfinder / wirefinder helpful?

* Given my lack of knowledge and experience, should I just pony up the money and have a dealer to it.

* If it all goes wrong, is it easy to patch the holes?!

* Has anyone used the https://www.etrailer.com/Backup-Came...ils=.questions

I'm new to the forums and its my first year RVing so please be gentle! thank you in advance. David
Qzdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have installed a few different type of cameras on trailers, both wired and wireless. Wireless are the easiest. I have mounted the camera bracket using only marine epoxy with no screw holes. I prefer 1/2" SS screws with the epoxy. You still need a 12v power source. I have attached a couple wires to the ladder and hide them the best way possible until under the unit. Then every rig is different as to where to find a 12v hot source. Not the tail lights. Need 12v hot. The monitor is easy. I often velco the bracket to the dash and get power for the aux plug. If it is my own, I do a more permanent install and hide all the wires. The key on wireless is the transmitting range. The cheep ones are 50' where the better ones are 100' or more. You get what you pay for.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

hey thanks for responding, I appreciate it! Liked the idea of using Epoxy, and would never have thought about it!
Qzdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, install