Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Installing a battery charger in 2002 Adventurer

I am trying to install a battery charger on the chassis battery in my 2002 Adventurer. The charger for the house batteries is located below the cabinet under the oven and I would like to locate the new charger in the same location. There is a second 110v outlet located there that is unused - perfect! Now the problem I am having is running the wires to the chassis battery. All of the existing wires run out of the back behind the existing charger between the floor and the outside storage compartments below.

Does anyone have experience with this and if so how did you run the wires?

Thanks
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't understand why you want to do this I have the same coach in the Itasca and I realize the chassis battery is not charged by the converter only by the engine but you can add this thing called a trickle start which will allow the converter to charge the chassis battery also very easy install. My batteries are under the steps and the relay is mounter right there next to the relay. You really don.t need 2 chargers.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start

I installed an Amp-L-Start in my Journey, and it works great at keeping the chassis batts charged.

I understand some WBGO's (maybe just DP's?) started getting Trik-L-Starts in late 2005. Amp-L-Starts are their new product and allow more amps for the charging.

Very easy to install.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I agree with Heating man...I recently installed the Ultra Trik-L-Start Battery Charger/Maintainer on my Class A. It gets great reviews by other RVrs. Simple 3-wire hook up that charges chassis battery thru coach batteries , when AC shore power or generator power is on. I used the wire hook up vs battery clips. Connected to the coach disconnect relay. Good luck!

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ultra...-p/tls-oem.htm
Old 07-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Chris,
I understand your desire for "dual chargers". However, my reasoning for wanting and using a separate charger for the chassis batteries may be different than yours. I didn't even know about "Trik-L-Start" when I started my thought process for charging the chassis batteries. It wouldn't have mattered if I had found out about it anyways. The primary reason is, I wanted chassis battery charging, completely independent of the charging system for the house batteries.

I wanted that and still do, because if and when, anything goes wrong with my Inverter/Charger and, it ceases to keep my house batteries charged for whatever reason, at least my chassis batteries will continue to be charged.

I most certainly agree with other posters on the simplicity of the Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start and, how well they work and, how easy they are to install. I just wanted to do things a bit different, imagine that. Now, I'll tell you how I set mine up and, maybe, it may help you with your scenario. My chassis and house batteries reside in the compartment, right behind the right side duals. My 120VAC breaker panel is right at the foot of the bed.

I had a few un-used knock-outs on the breaker panel. So, I figured what the heck, I'll just install a 15A breaker and, hot wire the Napa, three stage charger I bought. I mounted that charger also, at the foot of the bed, tucked in behind the breaker panel and other items under there. The good part of this position was the fact that, the chassis batteries were right on the other side of the bulk-head wall, under that bed. And, if I wanted to check the charge status of those chassis batteries, all I had/have to do is, kneel down on one knee and, look at the status LEDs on the charger, through a vent, at the foot of the bed. Works great.

So, running the positive and negative leads was simple. Now, if and when I ever need to shut down that charger, for whatever reason, all I need to do is, shut off that 15A circuit breaker. This is just something that worked and , still works for me. Now, if, after reading all the answers here, you still want to install an independent battery charger for your chassis batteries, I'm not sure that my kind of install, will work for you, based on the local of your chassis batteries and, your breaker panel. Good luck in what ever move you make.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This is what makes these forums so valuable! I had never heard of this device until now. This is definitely the way to go. My Trik-L-Start has already been ordered! Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate your help!
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefant View Post
This is what makes these forums so valuable! I had never heard of this device until now. This is definitely the way to go.
Yep. I put one on my 2002 Adventurer a few years ago and never looked back. But now my "new" house batteries are pushing 6 years old and don't hold a charge as well as before, so I guess they are on the list. I don't boondock, so I will stick with 12 volt deep cycle batteries.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, install, vent