Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

installing a analog converter box?

on a o4 winnebago has anyone installed a analog converter box to there tv?

or how to do so.

thanks for the help
04 adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes. There is also a Tip Sheet on the WIT WEB site. Just install on AUX port or directly on TV with antenna coax connected to converter antenna in.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

do not under stand wit web site?? looking for a diagram as i can not find out where to hook up the cables to.
thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I installed one for my old front 32" RCA. I pulled the selector switchbox out, and I bought a 2-1 antenna splitter (Radio Shack, Lowes, etc.). I removed the antenna cable from the back of the box, and installed it to the input side of the splitter. Taak a new, short cable, and went from one of the splitter outputs to the place I removed the antenna cable from.

Now, take another short cable, and connect it from the other splitter out to AUX in.

When you want to watch the front TV via the converter, set the switchbox to AUX, turn on the converter, and set the tv channel to the converter out (usually channel 3 or 4).

To watch the rear tv, which has a digital tuner, just set the rear TV selector to ANT, and let the TV scan for channels. Works great.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You should check on what type of inputs your present TV has. It should have at least a antennae coax input. Be sure you buy a converter that has coax input and output. Then is is a simple matter to put the converter box between the antennae and TV. If you are also connecting the TV to a DVD player or also want a cable connection, then it will be a bit more complicated.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1368919572

If you wish to use your selector switch box that chooses from multiple inputs, Then put the converter between the switch box and the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter-setup3.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	39117  

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You should check on what type of inputs your present TV has. It should have at least a antennae coax input. Be sure you buy a converter that has coax input and output. Then is is a simple matter to put the converter box between the antennae and TV. If you are also connecting the TV to a DVD player or also want a cable connection, then it will be a bit more complicated.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1368919572

If you wish to use your selector switch box that chooses from multiple inputs, Then put the converter between the switch box and the TV.
If he puts the converter between the switchbox and TV, then everything he selects as a source, such as the DVD player, will have to go through the conerter, unless he uses RCA or RGB cables direct to the TV, and bypasses the converter.

If the converter is placed between the TV antenna, and the switchbox, then it does not "get in the way" of signals fed to the switchbox from other sources. At least, this is the way I wired mine, and I also included a cable splitter, so I can watch OTA broadcasts on the bedroom flatscreen TV.
Indian River, De
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

cptbill
your right where the wires go. IT is almost impossible to explain my problem on the computer is there a time i could call you. and a #
thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If you go to;

www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/servicetips.php

you will find several service tips. There are two listed in the 2008 documents that deal with digital tv and how to hook things up.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 adventure View Post
cptbill
your right where the wires go. IT is almost impossible to explain my problem on the computer is there a time i could call you. and a #
thanks
So with the info everyone provided, did you get it installed and working? We have been on the road and at a graduation ceremony today, and have had no internet access, but the info and links should have you up and running by now.
Indian River, De
Old 05-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Don't know which '04 Winnie you have because there are minor differences in models, but this should be exactly the same:

-Simply remove the antenna coax on the coach switchbox and move it to the new converter box 'Ant In".

-With jumper coax, hook the converter 'Out' to the 'Ant" input on the coach switchbox.

Easy as that

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Check this link-[URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winegard-digital-analog-converter-37910.html#post369443"]

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
If he puts the converter between the switchbox and TV, then everything he selects as a source, such as the DVD player, will have to go through the conerter, unless he uses RCA or RGB cables direct to the TV, and bypasses the converter.

If the converter is placed between the TV antenna, and the switchbox, then it does not "get in the way" of signals fed to the switchbox from other sources. At least, this is the way I wired mine, and I also included a cable splitter, so I can watch OTA broadcasts on the bedroom flatscreen TV.
Many of the converter boxes have a pass through feature. It allows signals from other devices such as a DVD player or satellite dish to pas through the box without interruption when it's turned off.

We used a Winegard digital converter with the pass through feature on our 2001 Adventurer . It was wired between the coax and the connector on the TV. All the other equipment worked properly. The only thing we did to aviod confusion was to set the box so the TV hd to be on channel 3 for over the air reception. The satellite box worked on channel 4.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hikerdogs, I agree. What surprises me is that the converter won't create a signal that will harm any device in the system. Experiment. It's not hard to try it between the antennae and the switch box. If all channels and devices work downstream, shut the cabinet door. If it creates interference, move it to between the switch box and the TV. Nothing will blow up, at most you'll see 'snow' or interference patterns on the screen, an indication to try another configuration.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hikerdogs, I know that some converters have pass thru (I have one), but not all. SO it would be good for the OP to check on that, if he is going to install it downstream of the switchbox.

But the reason I installed mine ahead of the switchbox, is so that if I intend to record a program, when I select ANT as my recorder source, it will also receive the selected channel. I don't do this often, but when we are in a CG w/o cable, and one of us wants to record a program while we are gone, we can do that.

If it were behind the switchbox, I need 2 converters (which isn't a bad thing... I'd be able to watch one show and record another But this worked for us, and I don't have room for 2 converters in the cabinet.
Indian River, De

Tags
converter