Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

evildog

I too have found the steps draw power from the starter battery
EVEN when the battery disconnect switch is turned off
Guess they wanted you to get in even if the switch was turned off
I moved the power lead for the steps to the other side of the disconnect relay
All is good now when the switch is turned off zero power drain
Old 12-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

To minimize the draw from the steps you can put the stair switch in the off position when parked. It not only keeps the stairs from retracting every time you close the door, it also shuts off the light underneath. Then the only time the steps will retract is when the engine is started.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

evilbog,
If you do not have a Trick-L-Start then you should concider getting one. It should keep your chassis battery charged while connected to Shore Power. Not sure if the Flickering is a problem or not. One of those things you have to see for yourself to get a feel for what it is.

The Chassis/House battery voltage meter would be drawing it's power from the battery system so, a almost dead battery could defiently affect operation of the meter. As far as the step and light power draw it is a yes. Typical lamp draws around 1.5 amps. Add in the step motor control and normal chassis functions your up to 2 amps draw. 2 amps times 24 hours = 48 amp hrs per day. That can draw a starting battery done in just a few days. The Trick-L-Charge can offset that daily draw because it can provide up to 5 amps from your converter (or Inverter/Charger as applicable).

Enjoy the Holidays,
Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I finally got my Trik-L-Charger. I have been unable to locate the battery isolator to connect it to. Anyone know where to find it? 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L.
evilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

evilbog,
For reference, the Wiring Diagram TOC for you coach is here: Table of Contents. The following information comes from the information there.

The solinoid you are looking for is in the Chassis Electrical box (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_157460.pdf)

That box is located in the back of your battery compartment under the steps.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_159392.pdf
(pdf page 2)

Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Question desert again

Dave,

Thanks for all your help. I have looked at those diagrams before but was unsure of what I was looking at. Those pictures look nothing like the ones that came with the Trik-L-Charger. Anyhow, one last question. Do I need to disconnect all power, like the diagrams say, to install the charger?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

evilbog,
1) Power disconnect - The purpose of this step is to prevent accidental shorts while connecting up the Trick-L-Start. That can either be from a battery or the output of a converter (or Inverter/charger), generator charging circuit, or solar panel output.

2) If you look at the instructions for the Trick-L-Start (http://www.lslproducts.com/UTLS_Instructs.pdf), in step 2 you will see a solinoid version hookup (bottom drawing in step 2). That solinoid (can looking thing, not the square box version) is also shown on the next page. That can solinoid is the same as the left one shown on pdf page 3 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_157460.pdf

Connecting the Trick-L-Start across the solinoid (Aux Start/Battery Boost) is a convenience approach (keeps unit out of weather). If desired, you could connect it across the B+ battery posts also.

Unfortunatly, Winnebago placed the chassis box behind the batteries under the steps.

Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Red face desert question again

Besides turning off and unplugging from shore power, turning off aux batteries, what do I need to do to install the trik-l-charger to keep from frying myself?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Determined to make me earn my cookies are we?

Top section is your battery setup. In the step well:
One 12VDC starting battery on the front side of the coach.
Two 12VDC batteries wired in parallel on the real half.

Bottom section is Trick-L-Start wiring diagram from the installation instructions.

1) Remove all rings, watches, etc. from hands, arms, and around neck. You do not want to accidently short something across battery connections (or weld your hand to the battery).
2) Disconnect Shore power/generator inputs. If you have any solar, turn it off if you can. If not able to turn it off, I would recommend you cover the array modules so they are not generating any power.
3) Label the coach battery negative leads then disconnect them from the coach batteries and lay off to the side. Do not let the negative leads touch any positive leads or you will get very bad sparks (there is enough current in the battery that the leads can weld themselves to each other so be carefull)
4) Label the coach battery positive leads then disconnect them from the coach batteries and lay off to the side.
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 for the chassis battery.
6) If installing the Trick-L-Start across the isolation solinoid, now you would gain access to the Chassis Electrical box (unfortunantly it is buried back in the back of the battery compartment) and wire it in according to the wiring diagram above. You will have to find a convienent location inside the electrical box to mount the Trick-L-Start unit.
7) If installing across battery post terminals, then find a convienent place to mount the Trick-L-Start unit then wire it up to the battery post connectors.
8) Reinstall Chassis battery connections by first installing positive lead then negative lead.
9) Reinstall Coach battery connections by first installing positive leads then negative leads.

Hope all that makes sense,
Dave

PS: There is no dishonor in conning one of you male friends who understands electricity to help you with this. GIven the location of the solinoid, this is not one of the easiest things to do.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbog View Post
Besides turning off and unplugging from shore power, turning off aux batteries, what do I need to do to install the trik-l-charger to keep from frying myself?
Remove the negative cables from chassis and house batteries and disconnect shore power cord and you won't have any thing to worry about.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Talking desert

I did it~!!!!
Things seem to working normally again. Dave, thanks for ALL your help. I would send cookies if I had your address. Unfortunately, I have not been where I am long enough to get any male friends but still hoping!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Great - You go girl!

If they (potential males) find out you know as much as you do then they may be asking you for help!

For reference, with coach connected to shore power, you should see the same charging voltage (i.e. 13.6 VDC) on the coach battery (set) and the chassis battery with the Trick-L-Start installed. Thats how you know it is working properly.

Happy New Year
Dave
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #33

evilbog,
If there is one (or a few) light(s) that is(are) on a lot, like the step light, you may want to consider replacing it(them) with an LED bulb if it is a standard bulb. It would then have a very low current draw. I did on ours, had made a noticeable difference in how quickly the batteries discharge, and their charge level.
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Dave....are you married!!!????
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, but yes I am

Dave
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #36