Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH pump won't run - damp weather!

We've been away from home in AK for nearly 2 months now, spending most of our time near our grandkids in Portland, OR. We took a break and just came back from a week in Puerto Vallarta, leaving our 2004 Journey in our son's driveway plugged in with an electric heater running inside. Portland got 40 days and 40 nights worth of rain in the one week we were away, and when we got back from Mexico last night, the slide outs would not extend and the jacks would not extend, altho they would retract. Everything else seems to be normal, so I'm thinking it's got to be wiring/ground to the hydraulic pump. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Why would sitting out in the rain bring this on with no warning - moisture work it's way into a connection? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I am taking you have a hydraulic slide out and leveling. My pump would not run and after checking the fuses I taped the solinoid that is clamped to the motor and it started working. I ordered a new solinoid however when replacing it I found the nuts on the large wires were not real hard to loosen. So was the solinoid bad or just loose nuts on the wires? It works now so we will never know what failed.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I recently had a similar problem.

There are two fuses in the HWH circuitry box. It's probably in your hydraulic bay. Check them.

Do the solenoids activate when you press a slide switch? Someone may have to listen at the hydraulic bay when you check this. They only make a light clicking sound.

If things still don't work, call HWH. They will talk you through some additional troubleshooting steps. I ended up having to use my jumper cables to power the pump to get my slides in.

Rich
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The electrical grounds are very critical on HWH systems. If you can get underneath and get access to the pump motor and motor solenoids, use a test probe and ground out every electrical connection while someone else holds a jack or slide extend button, key in ACC position. If your problem is a bad ground, the pump motor will activate when you ground out the problem connection. Then, clean, reattach and treat for corrosion every ground wire you can find. I had a similar problem several years ago, my problem was a broken wire inside one of the pump solenoids.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Also posted in Class A Motor Home Discussions.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Try taking the cables off the chassis batteries and cleaning the terminals. Also have your engine running when you use the jacks.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Progress?

I've been on the phone with HWH after waiting half a day for a call back. Found a blown 5 amp fuse in circuit panel, so had to hang up and go buy fuses. Now I'm back in line waiting for a call back. Now have a soft clicking sound from circuit panel when pushing a jack down button. On our Journey, access to this stuff is horrible. 40 degrees and wet and a steel shelf between me and motor/solenoid so I can barely see anything. Flashlight in my teeth, needing 3 hands for VOM. A distinct PITA to work on, like so many other things on these rigs.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I've been on the phone with HWH after waiting half a day for a call back. Found a blown 5 amp fuse in circuit panel, so had to hang up and go buy fuses. Now I'm back in line waiting for a call back. Now have a soft clicking sound from circuit panel when pushing a jack down button. On our Journey, access to this stuff is horrible. 40 degrees and wet and a steel shelf between me and motor/solenoid so I can barely see anything. Flashlight in my teeth, needing 3 hands for VOM. A distinct PITA to work on, like so many other things on these rigs.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by corprimo View Post
... a steel shelf between me and motor/solenoid so I can barely see anything. Flashlight in my teeth, needing 3 hands for VOM. ...
It sounds like you're trying to access the motor/solenoid from the bottom. I would expect that the top two steps would hinge up as they do on my 2005 Vectra to give more direct access to the system. There should be a single nut under the center of the step lips--once removed the steps will hinge up.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Give these folks a call: HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services I have dealt with them a few times and they are great.

That soft clicking sound could be low voltage. If you can get a wrench on the terminals try loosening and re-tighten. Just be careful not to cross the + and -. You don't want to become a arc welder. Your working conditions don't sound favorable.

Does anyone out there know if he can use jumpers from his car to the pump motor? Might spark loudly but at least he can get the pump to work long enough to resolve his current situation.

Rick Y
Old 12-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Endless rain here, and working overhead while lying in a cold puddle is not what I want to do. If I'm lying in water, I prefer a hot tub. A friend recommended a small shop in Vancouver, WA, Panther Campers, and I gave them a call. They sounded knowledgeable, had a cancelation this AM, so we packed up and were there an hour and a half later. Their tech found the motor wouldn't turn even if he jumped it - basically frozen up. Solenoid pretty well fried as well, so both are now ordered from HWH. Gonna cost some bucks, but I get to stay warm and dry and the work will be guaranteed. They are a very small shop, but are getting quite a bit of business from dissatisfied customers who went to larger shops in the area. Nice folks! We can't get to most of our clothes with the slide out in, so all we have is what we took with us to Mexico last week. My DW may need to go shopping... I'll have to check the steps above. It doesn't look like they come up for access, but maybe.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Endless rain here, and working overhead while lying in a cold puddle is not what I want to do. If I'm lying in water, I prefer a hot tub. A friend recommended a small shop in Vancouver, WA, Panther Campers, and I gave them a call. They sounded knowledgeable, had a cancelation this AM, so we packed up and were there an hour and a half later. Their tech found the motor wouldn't turn even if he jumped it - basically frozen up. Solenoid pretty well fried as well, so both are now ordered from HWH. Gonna cost some bucks, but I get to stay warm and dry and the work will be guaranteed. They are a very small shop, but are getting quite a bit of business from dissatisfied customers who went to larger shops in the area. Nice folks! We can't get to most of our clothes with the slide out in, so all we have is what we took with us to Mexico last week. My DW may need to go shopping... I'll have to check the steps above. It doesn't look like they come up for access, but maybe.
FYI. I have read on other threads that the HWH pump motor can be successfully replaced with a plow pump motor and the solenoid is also available from the local automotive parts store. Big savings in time and money.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

YES! 2nd and 3rd entry steps come up (half inch nut, deep socket) for easy access. HWH sent the motor to the repair shop, but weren't sure which solenoid, so didn 't send one. Another wait, camping in the endless Oregon rain with slides in and tripping over our old Golden Retriever all the time. Yuck!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
YES! 2nd and 3rd entry steps come up (half inch nut, deep socket) for easy access. HWH sent the motor to the repair shop, but weren't sure which solenoid, so didn 't send one. Another wait, camping in the endless Oregon rain with slides in and tripping over our old Golden Retriever all the time. Yuck!
I think I will take the 29* at night here in San Diego over the rain of Oregon in your situation. I do hope you can get this problem resolved soon. The solenoids are in two flavors: small - 1.5" diameter and large - 2.25". When this is over just think of how much more you folks will appreciate your fully functioning coach.

Rick Y

Tags
hwh