Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

As you probably know the engine battery is NOT kept charged by the Power Converter system while plugged into shore power.

To get around this, Winnebago Engineering has approved mechanically causing the AUX start switch to remain engaged while on shore power. This connects the engine electrical system to the House battery system and charges the engine battery. When you remove shore power, the AUX switch must be disengaged.

I was told this by a Winnebago Service rep today when I asked about using a solar panel charger to charge the engine battery.

This may only apply to units with a Workhorse chassis and if you have the AUX start switch.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As you probably know the engine battery is NOT kept charged by the Power Converter system while plugged into shore power.

To get around this, Winnebago Engineering has approved mechanically causing the AUX start switch to remain engaged while on shore power. This connects the engine electrical system to the House battery system and charges the engine battery. When you remove shore power, the AUX switch must be disengaged.

I was told this by a Winnebago Service rep today when I asked about using a solar panel charger to charge the engine battery.

This may only apply to units with a Workhorse chassis and if you have the AUX start switch.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Newmar coachs all have the 12" sq solar panel for the chassis battery, 3 Newmars never had a dead chassis batt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On my 2003 Suncruiser the Aux Start switch was only designed for intermittent duty, not continuous duty. That could damage things if kept on for long periods of time.

I'd recommend the Trik-L Start module from RVupgrades.com. That should easily handle the task and you won't have to worry about any settings because it's a hands-free operation.

As to the solar panel, it's not of very much use. It's only 10 watts (Newmar's is 20 watts). When I installed 220 watts of solar on my Suncruiser's roof I relocated the OEM solar panel to the chassis batteries. With all the phantom load draws it wasn't enough to keep them from discharging but it did prolong the time that it took for them to die.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To get around this, Winnebago Engineering has approved mechanically causing the AUX start switch to remain engaged while on shore power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Maybe you should talk to another tech at Winnebago - this doesn't pass the "common sense" test. Winnie started factory installation of the TrikLStart at the solenoid switch I believe for the 2006 model year at least in the pushers to eliminate the chassis battery problems of the past.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
The Newmar coachs all have the 12" sq solar panel for the chassis battery, 3 Newmars never had a dead chassis batt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this has what to do with Winnebago's house batteries??
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think it started with chassis batteries.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Okay - I was wrong and Flytyer and the tech he spoke with are apparently correct. My contact at Winnebago confirmed the procedure and the solenoid is continuous-duty rated.

However I still believe the best way to keep the chassis batteries topped off is to use a device like Echo~Charge or the TrickL product.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:

This may only apply to units with a Workhorse chassis and if you have the AUX start switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok...how do we do this, besides holding down the switch on the dash?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:

This may only apply to units with a Workhorse chassis and if you have the AUX start switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok...how do we do this, besides holding down the switch on the dash? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Winnebago rep said he uses a matchbook to hold it in place, but a small piece of wood will work too. An alternative is to replace the switch.

By the way FrontRangeRVer can you fish from the rear of the coach?? What a picture !!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just so everyone knows no one is restricted from any forum or topic on IRV2.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

In response to keeping the battery charged, I also vote for the Trik-L-Start. I recently purchased one and tested it with temporary connection, works great! I am sure that Winnebago is installing them somewhere as they have a Winnebago part number printed on them now. The Echo Charge would also do what you want with more power, but three times the cost.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Flytyer,

I was also told this at the GNR last year.

I don't know if I am just lucky or what, but my batteries haven't gone dead yet. They are Optima, installed by the previous owner in Jan 2004.

But then again, I don't let them sit around that long not being used.

My coach batteries went low once when I left all the compartment lights on over nite while running the gas heater, and the chassis went low enough to use the boost to start the engine once when we were having problems with our slides staying in. After 2 weeks of extending them every day I had to boost to start.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

This very situation just happened to me today. I had the coach at the dealer for a minor scratch repair. Someone had turned on the bedroom lights and left them on. When I got in to go home, the motor started but the battery relay in the front end started clicking and the volt meter was jumping. A tech came out and looked at it, got in and pressed the Aux start switch. The clicking stopped, and the volt meter leveled out. He told me that when the coach batteries get too low, the relay will click back and fourth trying to charge both sets of batteries at once.

He said to either hold the Aux switch down with something, or he reached up and started my generator. He said with the generator running, the inverter would charge the chassis batteries. I didn't get to ask him if that only applied to the 06' models. Either way it worked. The chassis batteries came up to charge and everything leveled out. Go figure...

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

We use a Trickle Start type charger on the MH, it shuts off when the chassis bat is fully charged. Love it so much have one on the cycle and 1 on the tractor, don't have to remove the batteries over the winter.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I will finally get around to installing my Trik-L-Start this weekend. I will be connecting it at the aux start solenoid and mounting the small box on the face of the dash to the left of the steering column. I have a problem with the starting battery draining from phantom loads within about 3 weeks of storage. The Trik-L-Start seems to be a very cost effective answer to the problem.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote