Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

How should I have recovered from this problem???

I did something foolish today and ran down the chassis battery on my coach. The coach batteries reading was 13.6 and the chassis battery was about 6 volts. The coach is in the storage shed in Wisconsin.

I could start the genset so after I had it running awhile I pushed the auxiliary battery button to start the engine but there was not enough umph to get it to start ...

SOOOO after thinking about the problem for awhile, I placed a wedge under the auxiliary battery button (genset was still running) ... I looked at the battery readings now ... the chassis battery was showing over 13 volts so I knew it was charging ... so I left the wedge in there for about 20 minutes ... then I tried to starter again ... this time VRRRMMMM ...

So my question is? Did I damage anything by holding the auxiliary start switch open and charging up my battery?

I know there are some battery gurus on this board ... I thought I should learn from their expertise ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

How should I have recovered from this problem???

I did something foolish today and ran down the chassis battery on my coach. The coach batteries reading was 13.6 and the chassis battery was about 6 volts. The coach is in the storage shed in Wisconsin.

I could start the genset so after I had it running awhile I pushed the auxiliary battery button to start the engine but there was not enough umph to get it to start ...

SOOOO after thinking about the problem for awhile, I placed a wedge under the auxiliary battery button (genset was still running) ... I looked at the battery readings now ... the chassis battery was showing over 13 volts so I knew it was charging ... so I left the wedge in there for about 20 minutes ... then I tried to starter again ... this time VRRRMMMM ...

So my question is? Did I damage anything by holding the auxiliary start switch open and charging up my battery?

I know there are some battery gurus on this board ... I thought I should learn from their expertise ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

This procedure was suggested as a cure for batteries going down while shore power was connected at a seminar at GNR in Forest City. It is the same as connecting a jumper from the coach batteries to the chassis battery. If your starting battery is dead there is not enough juice to energise the solenoid to make the connection with the momentary start switch. You did the correct thing.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

skigramp,
You did not damage anything. The solenoid that connects the coach battery to the chassis battery is rated for continuous use (confirmed by me having a problem with mine and calling Winnebago). When you start the engine, the solenoid is energized and both battery banks are charged every time you run your engine. When hooked to shore power, you can place a wedge under the aux battery button to charge the coach and chassis battery. Also, your genset should start from your coach battery. You should not have had any problem starting your genset. Your converter/charger now has AC and charges your coach batteries. By activating the aux battery switch, you are now using your converter/charger to charge your chassis battery. Give it time to charge. You would think that with the genset running you would be able to start your engine but in reality, it will not start and more than likely, stall your genset.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

I have used a jumper cable (just one) from the hot on house batteries to the hot on the chassis batteries. Works great.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had the opposite problem once on my '00 Journey when I was boondocking, and ran the house batteries down while camping in the Adirondacks (furnace operating). The coach batteries were so run down (about 9v) that I could not start the generator to recharge them. So I tried the Aux battery switch, but I was still not able to start the generator. The chassis batteries were OK (at 12+V) and I was able to start the coach with no problem, but still could not start the generator (even with the coach engine running).

My solution was to purchase a set of good jumper cables, and jump the coach batteries from the chassis batteries. I am pretty certain that the solenoid for the Aux battery switch was not operating properly.

Got the generator running and charged the coach batteries back up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good Thinking. That was suggested at the Freightliner 2 day seminar. Also if you were travelling and the engine alternator quit you should start the generator and do the same. (the latter I can atttest too)

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you had left the engine run for a few minutes you should have been able to start the generator. I had less than 6 volts on the house batteries but the chassis batteries were good. I had tried plugging shore power in but coach batteries and all 12 volt stuff would not work. After I let the engine run for 5 minutes I could start the generator. As soon as the generator started the inverter started working and then I shut down generator and everything worked on shore power.