Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How much gasoline for generator on road?

Our dash A/C insufficient for comfort while driving in hot weather; I wnt to run A/C on generator while driving...husband resisting due to gasoline usage. I thought usage was relatively minor but I can't remember the numbers. Anyone here know, or can telll me how to determine usage?
thanks much
Carol
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Most likely 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per hour.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Really does not matter if the wife or I are hot - we run it as necessary
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Fuel usage of gen is offset a lot by reduced load and hence reduce fuel usage on engine. Don't recall offhand but there is a chart in the gen set owners manual that gives typical fuel usage.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I go for the comfort. These rigs aren't going to get great fuel mileage no matter what.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A gen set at idle is about 1/2 gal/hr. Under load that will increase to 3/4 to 1 gal/hr. That is still cheap when compared to your comfort. Run it!!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
Our dash A/C insufficient for comfort while driving in hot weather; I wnt to run A/C on generator while driving...husband resisting due to gasoline usage. I thought usage was relatively minor but I can't remember the numbers. Anyone here know, or can telll me how to determine usage?
thanks much
Carol
Well Carol,
At the risk of sounding a bit sarcastic, if he's worried about the minute use of gas by the generator, for keeping you (oh, and him too) as comfortable as possible DURING driving, he should park it and don't use the coach at all. Get a VW and use hotel rooms.
But seriously, you're getting around 7 - 8 mpg anyways (at least the average ones do) so, what's the big deal about another gallon or two used in the days driving? This is one of those things that, if you're not happy while traveling, due to uncomfortable conditions, THAT CAN BE PREVENTED, then you'll be uncomfortable tomorrow, the next day, the next day..........

Pretty soon, you'll NOT LOOK FORWARD TO TRAVELING because you know its not gonna be fun, 'cause you know you'll be uncomfortable, all because of the cost of a couple of gallons of fuel. I may catch a few flames for all this but, been flamed before, still alive. When we travel, we use every single thing in that coach, there is to use, that makes us happy, COMFORTABLE, and makes our trips more pleasurable.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

happy wife, happy life they say. KEEP momma happy.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I've always heard that the generator won't use any more gas, and possibly less, than what the dash AC uses by putting extra load on the engine.
Turn off the dash AC, turn on the generator, be comfortable.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I go for the comfort. These rigs aren't going to get great fuel mileage no matter what.
Exactly. Motorhomes are expensive to purchase, expensive to operate, expensive to maintain. Add in insurance and registration and bottom line they're an expensive toy. If you're worried about the fuel usage, buy a Prius and stay in hotel rooms. Not trying to be sarcastic but driving a MH all day is tiring. I don't need to be uncomfortable the whole time. I want to enjoy the drive as much as possible, not end the day feeling whipped.

Turn on the gen and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

What the heck? A guy asks about fuel consumption of a generator, and he gets multiple "don't matter, just run it if you're hot (you cheapskate)". There are a lot a good reasons wanting to know fuel consumption rate. Maybe he doesn't want to run out of gas? Always nice to know your range and how generator use might effect it.
YooperVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to tmw188
The estimation of 1/2-1 gal. per hr. Is it. We ran our on are last trip and even the dash air once in awhile while traveling
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

If fuel mileage is that big of an issue then get rid of the MH and get a van.
Unless you run the generator for hours without moving you really don't see that much difference in MPG's, less than 1/2 gallon. Besides running the generator and house AC make it much easier on AC's when you pull in and hook up to shore power. The coach is already cooler and the DW is much happier, and you know what they say, Happy Wife, Happy Life.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperVer View Post
What the heck? A guy asks about fuel consumption of a generator, and he gets multiple "don't matter, just run it if you're hot (you cheapskate)". There are a lot a good reasons wanting to know fuel consumption rate. Maybe he doesn't want to run out of gas? Always nice to know your range and how generator use might effect it.
And there have been multiple responses stating that it's pretty much a wash. Less fuel usage by engine, some fuel use by gen. At the end of the day I'll bet you won't be able to tell the difference. I also like the fact that it's less load and as such less heat on the engine. The gen will not run the rig out of gas. At about 3/8 tank of gas the gen will shutoff as it's fuel pickup does not extend to the bottom of the tank like the engine pickup does.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Your coach is probably a 30 amp with Onan 4000 like mine. It takes about 1/2 gallon per hour at half load which is what the A/C will hold it at.

At 65 mph I get about 6.5 mpg towing the Jeep, that's 10 gallons of gas per hour, the gen adds an extra half gallon over the hour, not even .5 mpg difference, you really should not worry about it.

Those saying you will make up for it by turning off dash A/C, well If its hot enough to warrant the roof air I am keeping the dash air on with it typically, as it usually needs both at that point.

I do it all the time, whole reason I bought a class A RV is to be comfortable traveling and camping, that means using all its systems to keep me and my family comfortable, otherwise I would just have a car and tent as I have done in the past and save a bunch on gas.

Side effect is you have 120v for TV etc. if you don't have an inverter.

Here is the specs for the Onan 4000 for details:

You are being redirected...
Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Throw his meal on a plate uncooked and tell him it costs fuel to cook.
But to your question, most gens on A/C run at about 1/2 gallon per hour some of which is offset by less used by the RVs motor not using as much. And the refer will be on Gen if auto is used, plus you can run the crock pot in the sink and he can have a hot meal.
Or you could say you need 2 carrot ICE earring to keep cool and they are only $10000.

LEN
Old 06-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Carol, here's the math. Assume you get 8MPG, in 60 miles you burn 7.5 gallons (at 60mph). Assume generator uses 3/4 gallon per hour, you've now burned a total of 8.25 gallons, for a new mileage of 7.25 mpg. Your motor loses about 10% mileage with cab A/C on, or about 7.2 mpg. In other words it's about a wash, plus your whole coach is cool (nice when you get to your destination!)and your engine runs cooler.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
2015 Equinox
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Manual Link

We also have a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R. It has the Onan MicroLite 4000 (Series KY) generator.

Link to Operator Manual

From that manual it shows fuel consumption of 0.29 gph at no load, 0.44 gph at half load, and 0.71 gph at full load. Also from the manual, you can assume that your AC will draw 1,400 to 2,000 watts, and your DC power converter another 500 watts. That will put you a little over half load - so a safe assumption would be about 1/2 gph. If you drive (about) 60 mph, that is only a 1/2 gpm hit to your fuel economy. At $2.39 per gallon you can assume it costs an extra $1.20 per hour to run (or 2 cents per mile <- please check my math though).

One thing we found out on our last outing - people get used to color cues. My wife thought she was turning on the water pump and looked for the "red light on" cue to assume she had the correct switch. Well, unlike the last three RV's we had, she actually turned on the water heater instead. I had to show her the tiny green light to look for now. The generator sure was unhappy having to run at full load (water heater element adds 1,000 to 1,500 watts!) for the last 1/2 hour into Canton last weekend.

So, overall - how do y'all like your 29R? We have only owned ours since March, and this is our first motor home after having owned various other types of RV's over the last 29 years of wedded bliss.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
Carol, here's the math. Assume you get 8MPG, in 60 miles you burn 7.5 gallons (at 60mph). Assume generator uses 3/4 gallon per hour, you've now burned a total of 8.25 gallons, for a new mileage of 7.25 mpg. Your motor loses about 10% mileage with cab A/C on, or about 7.2 mpg. In other words it's about a wash, plus your whole coach is cool (nice when you get to your destination!)and your engine runs cooler.
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
2015 Equinox
THIS
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your replies, very good info...now looking forward to our travels!
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator