Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How Many AMPS does AC really

I have my MH in storage when not in use. I bring it home the day before we leave on a trip so that we can load out. I am wondering about running just the AC on occasion. My garage has only a 15 amp circuit. Is 15 amps enough to run the AC assuming no other loads.
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A 15 amp circuit will run mine but the cord gets hot. I prefer to use the generator. It needs to be cycled anyway.
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Try to shut off other loads from the 15 amp circuit so RV can have almost all of its capacity.

Plug in your RV with Air Cond off. Initially the 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC converter charger will draw several hundred watts, and the combination of this, refrigerator on AC, and the Air Cond may be too much.

If your refrigerator is set to Auto or AC mode its going to draw 300 watts AC if its a 2 door and 600 watts AC if its a 4 door.

Assuming your MH batteries got charged on the trip from storage to your home, the converter charger should drop into float mode and use under 50 watts in a few minutes.

So plug in your RV. Wait about 15 minutes. Get the fridge off AC by changing it to propane only or completely off. Then switch on the Air Cond. Should start and run. You can experiment with fridge on AC it may or may not overload the circuit.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentkimterry View Post
A 15 amp circuit will run mine but the cord gets hot. I prefer to use the generator. It needs to be cycled anyway.

Thats another question I have, never having had an MH w/generator before.....how often to run the gen and for what length of time to run it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Site Team

We spent a couple hundred dollars and had a 30 amp outlet installed just next to the garage door. We had only 30-amp RVs up until that point. Now, we have a 50 amp RV but still use just the 30-amp outlet at home.

Living just north of San Antonio we always run the A/C when we're loading or unloading the RV. From June to October its pretty much 90+ every day here.

Prior to installing the 30-Amp outlet we used a 15-amp receptacle in the garage. It routinely over heated and after a while actually turned black and melted the plastic around the receptacle a little bit. The plug itself showed black too.

That's why we had the 30-Amp receptacle installed.

PS. Our RV shows the amp load of appliances and the A/C (13.5K BTU) when it starts and runs the compressor uses ~18-amps. When it's running it uses 13 to 15-amps.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Try to shut off other loads from the 15 amp circuit so RV can have almost all of its capacity.

Plug in your RV with Air Cond off. Initially the 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC converter charger will draw several hundred watts, and the combination of this, refrigerator on AC, and the Air Cond may be too much.

If your refrigerator is set to Auto or AC mode its going to draw 300 watts AC if its a 2 door and 600 watts AC if its a 4 door.

Assuming your MH batteries got charged on the trip from storage to your home, the converter charger should drop into float mode and use under 50 watts in a few minutes.

So plug in your RV. Wait about 15 minutes. Get the fridge off AC by changing it to propane only or completely off. Then switch on the Air Cond. Should start and run. You can experiment with fridge on AC it may or may not overload the circuit.
Thanks so much for the info. I have a 2000 watt inverter installed and it is showing 12.4.
I am doing some work in the MH, installing cabinets etc and would like to have the AC on while working.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
Thats another question I have, never having had an MH w/generator before.....how often to run the gen and for what length of time to run it.
Exercise generator for 1/2 to 1 hour whenever it has sat un-used for a month. As part of this routine at least every other month check the oil level in the generator.

Start generator run about 5 mins without adding big loads. Then add big load such as running ACs or Heat Pumps depending on the time of year. Run with load 20-50 minutes. Run with no load for 5 minutes, then shut off.

Good idea to let generator have the 5 minute or more warm up and cool down times anytime you use generator, not just when doing the monthly exercise.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It is good practice to always start the generator and shut it down with no loads, in regular use or when exercising.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks folks, I'm looking into getting a 30 amp circuit
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

It will cost pennies more to have a 50 amp circuit installed and any future "upgrades" will be covered. Make darn sure the electrician understands RV connections. It is not a 30 amp 240 V system like the house dryer uses.

Before I put in the 50 amp circuit I could run 1 AC off of a 15 amp circuit. If DW plugged in a vacuum cleaner it wold throw the breaker. Use the shortest extension cord you can and use 12 AWG but 10 AWG would be much better,
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ok folks, I have really gotten a ton of good info. I am still getting used to the MH having only bought it in MArch and only been out 3 times. I did have the generator service right after I bought it. Now for the question.....I assume that in order to use the generator or exercise it properly I plug the shore power line into the empty receptacle that is in the electrical compartment. I assume the sequence would be:
1. Plug in shore power to receptacle
2. Start generator

3. Wait 5 minutes or so
4. Turn on Load, ie AC etc.

I imagine it sounds basic to you all but I have never used a generator in an RV.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Site Team

How about letting us all know what RV you have. The best place to put your info in in the "signature" in your Profile.

1. Click on UserCP (user control panel) at the top left of the menu above the posted contents
2. Click on "Edit Signature" in the middle of the nav menu on the left
3. Create your signature - look at other peoples to see what most folks do

That way every one will know on every post what year, make and model RV you are talking about.

Most Class A's, but certainly not all, have an ATS (automatic transfer switch). In that case there's no plugging/unplugging anything. If you don't have an ATS then, yes, you would plug the Gen output into the RVs AC input.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Did you upgrade the wires in the circuit to handle the increase amperage. Just changing the recepticle can be dangerous.
Stoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoflyer View Post
Did you upgrade the wires in the circuit to handle the increase amperage. Just changing the recepticle can be dangerous.
Who are you asking?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

How many Amps for AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
How about letting us all know what RV you have. The best place to put your info in in the "signature" in your Profile.

1. Click on UserCP (user control panel) at the top left of the menu above the posted contents
2. Click on "Edit Signature" in the middle of the nav menu on the left
3. Create your signature - look at other peoples to see what most folks do

That way every one will know on every post what year, make and model RV you are talking about.

Most Class A's, but certainly not all, have an ATS (automatic transfer switch). In that case there's no plugging/unplugging anything. If you don't have an ATS then, yes, you would plug the Gen output into the RVs AC input.
Sorry about that, Class C Minnie Winnie 31 KP .

In the electrical cargo bay where the cord for the shore power is there is an outlet for the generator I was under the impression that to provide the generator power to the coach the shore power cord was plugged into that receptacle.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #16
Site Team

It probably is for that RV. I didn’t mean to tell you otherwise, just let you know that for many other RVs that is not how this works.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It probably is for that RV. I didn’t mean to tell you otherwise, just let you know that for many other RVs that is not how this works.
No problem.....I may explore having the coach wired up like that...depending of course on cost.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Legolas
Not sure what you meant when you said " having my coach wired up like that". If you were thinking about adding a transfer switch to eliminate plugging the power cord to the outlet connected to the generator, I would recommend against it. A transfer switch requires extensive heavy wiring and will only save you plugging in the cord. Transfer switches of late have been responsible for several " near" fires resulting from connections coming loose and generating significant heat that can lead to a fire. Simplicity beats the complexity of additional gadgetry in my opinion. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I’m a believer in seeking advice and opinions. But, in many situations, you need to provide specifications. Especially, when discussing electricy. Your owner’s manual will provide instructions and specifications for everything in your motorhome. In your case: air conditioner BTU’s, wattage, and amperage; generator power output, operation, and maintenance. Please take time to become familiar with your owner’s manual. Then, when seeking advice, you can provide this essential information. Keep on traveling. 😉

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
I have my MH in storage when not in use. I bring it home the day before we leave on a trip so that we can load out. I am wondering about running just the AC on occasion. My garage has only a 15 amp circuit. Is 15 amps enough to run the AC assuming no other loads.
Most modern homes have 20 amp breakers but you may have only 15s. Here is what I do. Plug in the coach to a GFI outlet in the garage. It is 20 amps but the garage also has a refrigerator and some lights in it. Anyway, on the coach I have two circuit breakers for AC compressors and I turn one off. The AC will run on one compressor just fine plugged into the garage circuit. Rarely it will trip the circuit if the AC compressor and the garage refrigerator compressor try to start at the same time. I am pretty much limited to running the AC in the coach and nothing else of any consequence but I have been know to run the refrigerator on AC without trouble too.

Bill
joanbill is offline   Reply With Quote