Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Regardless of whether it's gas or diesel, I think I'd be concerned about letting one sit for 3-4 months at the time. While the internal parts of the engine might be okay, fuel becomes stale, gas clogs up fuel injectors, fuel filters clog, batteries go dead, tires need rotation, even oil goes bad just sitting there.

If I planned to be at one location for months, I think I'd have a monthly maintenance schedule that required cranking up the unit, letting it idle for a half hour or so and driving it around the campground a little, just to keep all the chassis parts in good working order. Plus, I think I'd change oil about every two months, even if it had virtually no miles. But I have to admit, I'm a fanatic about fresh oil. I'd also get some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the tank too.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
We agree with CJBrown, right now we both work and weekends and vacations are the only time we get to RV, but after we retire we hope to full time. We know that if we do that we'll be a lot happier with a used diesel. The plan is to try it for a year with our current RV and if we decide to keep on full timing we will look for a good used diesel with a floor plan we like and will trade. But for now while we keep working a gasser makes more sense.
Your plan is very similar to ours; a year-long test with a final decision at the end.

Thanks for your reply!

Lindsay
Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I would not buy a large gas chassis coach unless it was built on a 24,000 lbs or larger chassis.

My W24's CCC is 3239 lbs.

I weigh 23,200 lbs. loaded to go.

-Tom

i dont know if it was by err but i would have not added any info with a vin

with this vin any one can get your name and address
with the past of posting on here can get alot of your info for ID theft
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I'm 38' 11" long according to Winnebago's specs.

My Suncruiser 38R handles perfectly with no modifications. I'm on the Workhorse W24 chassis

I'm on the right in the photo below. That's my friend's Suncruiser 37B motorhome parked behind me. He's about a foot shorter. He also has no handling or power problems. His motorhome is also built on the W24 chassis.

-Tom

Awesome gif slides out vs in. Where did you find it?

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

A bit more of my two cents. DP's ride much better than gassers is one plus. The power under load is usually better. Diesel, by its nature, loves to work under load. You don't have to worry about dampness affecting the plug wires or varnish building up in the carboration system if the coach sits for an extended period of time. The quality of the interior finish is usually better but not always. Going 300K+ miles with a diesel is not unusual.

I feel that the DP is a better value in the long run. If maintained correctly it will last and is worth remodeling in 10 years if you so desire. But all of this is qualified by manufacture and engineering of course. A real nice DP is made by Newmar. The floor plan of my coach is now available in their lineup but is much longer, heaver and more expensive. Again, what do you see for the future? The choices are yours.

Happy trails.

Rick
Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
With Itasca as its mastaff it gave Winnebago more market outlets. There is a little difference in accoutrements, but the chassis and body are the same. The small difference in gingerbread cost more bucks.
not really a cost difference just fit and finish
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

I think it's time to point out the topic of this thread is

"How long is too long for a gasser".

If you want to discuss gas versus diesel please go to the thread the OP started for that subject at this link

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-...ed-202871.html
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas