Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

It is a seemingly endless task to control battery corrosion on the hold-down straps, the hold-down bolts, the battery terminals and anything steel in the vicinity of the batteries. I tried removing the batteries, rinsing anything steel in a a baking soda solution and priming/repainting. I even tried spraying an anti-corrosion coating. That only lasts about 6 months. I do not overfill the cells, only up to the bottom of the well. The battery charger is not over-charging, in fact it is not used at all during storage (solar cell charger). I am looking for ideas to win this battle. I have read about "battery mats" in this forum and wonder if they work as advertised.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It is a seemingly endless task to control battery corrosion on the hold-down straps, the hold-down bolts, the battery terminals and anything steel in the vicinity of the batteries. I tried removing the batteries, rinsing anything steel in a a baking soda solution and priming/repainting. I even tried spraying an anti-corrosion coating. That only lasts about 6 months. I do not overfill the cells, only up to the bottom of the well. The battery charger is not over-charging, in fact it is not used at all during storage (solar cell charger). I am looking for ideas to win this battle. I have read about "battery mats" in this forum and wonder if they work as advertised.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #3

1. I have heard some owners that put oil in their flooded cell batteries have good results from corrosion and gassing, but.....

2. The best way to TRUELY eliminate the corrosion is to replace your flooded cell batteries with AGM batteries.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There was a recent discussion on one of these boards regarding putting a small amount of oil in the batteries to stop corrosion. I am not endorsing this as I have not tried it, but only passing the info along. Maybe a search of the boards will let you find the discussion.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
2. The best way to TRUELY eliminate the corrosion is to replace your flooded cell batteries with AGM batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I'd do too.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
1. I have heard some owners that put oil in their flooded cell batteries have good results from corrosion and gassing, but.....

2. The best way to TRUELY eliminate the corrosion is to replace your flooded cell batteries with AGM batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Amen brother!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Catpowered

I use these on the bottom of my Battery tray ...

Battery Mat

I have had no corrosion on the tray ...

The local RV place where I have my oil changed has some sort of spray on "purple" grease that they spray on my terminals ...

I have had no corrosion problems ... Sorry that I do not know the name of the spray on grease ... it is in an aerosol can ... it may be a NAPA product
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have found that Gray Primer # 9560T81 and Multipurpose solvent based Rubber Coating # 9560T4 from Mc Mastercarr (www.mcmaster.com) works really good for painting (sealing) around the batteries.
unclesmirf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Regarding the mineral oil in the cells....I have been putting about 1 1/2 ounces of mineral oil in each cell of the deep cycle batteries for my 24 volt trolling motor in my boat. I have absolutely no problems with corrision even though the 3 stage charger stays on all the time.

I have not put oil in the deep cycle batteries on my coach. I do use the Qwik Fill battery manifolds on the coach and corrosion has not been a problem. I agree with John that AGM's are the ultimate solution and I will certainly have them on my next coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

A word of caution using mineral oil in batteries, a hydrometer can no longer be used to check battery condition.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote