Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do I remove Xite Core Unit, 2017 View w/Sprinter chassis

My Xcite infotainment System lost power after my main battery went dead. I called River Park, and they told me to check the in-line fuse, the voltage at the red and yellow wires and to unplug the speaker wire bundle for 10 minutes it the fuse wasn't blown.

They said the fuse is on the lower unit with the SD Card. I know how to remove the dash trim around the screen, but the lower unit is by itself right above the ashtray with no trim around it, does anyone know how to access it or remove it?

By the way, now fuses in the chassis or coach are blown and everything seems to work except the infotainment system. I checked the USB port and it has no power.

Thank you very much.
gipper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
Site Team

It would help a bunch if you told us what model and year you are referring to. And, better yet, posted a photo of the two pieces you’re talking about.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I will take a picture tomorrow, but in the meantime, it's a 2017 Winnebago view sprinter chassis. The Xcite infotainment system has 2 parts the part that has the screen that fits in the das above the heater controls and a second part that fits it where the storage box was right above the ashtray/cupholder. I know how to get the screen out but not the lower part, I think it requires extractor hooks.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Site Team

The 2nd part is called the Core Unit. It’s a mini computer and even runs on an embedded version of Windows, like many ATMs do.

On my, very different than yours, RV the Core Unit is held in with a screw in each corner. So, I’m afraid I can’t help with how to remove it on your RV. I’m sure someone with the same model will chime in.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Here is a picture, the lower unit/ the core unit is what I need to know how to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xcite Infotainment System.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	171929  
Old 07-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Yep, that's the Core Unit and it looks just like mine. Only I have a screw in each corner holding it in place. It's in an upper cabinet above the passenger seat in my Winnebago.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Core removal

I have a 2017 View and watched the dealer remove the core once and then removed the core unit several times myself. There are no screws. The unit is held in place with plastic tabs. I inserted a small, thin screwdriver and depressed the tabs at the bottom of the core about an inch? from each side. Just pry the core up and pull out. The material around the core can be marred with the screwdriver so be careful.

Steve
2017 View
ArtistsView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Bye the way did you remove the core a few times, did you have problems?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper11 View Post
Bye the way did you remove the core a few times, did you have problems?
Yes, problems from the first day I purchased the View. Finally replaced it with a Pioneer.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I hate to bother you again, but I can not see where the plastic tabs are, I have a set of extractor hooks designed for a Mercedes Benz, but they don't seem to work, can someone post a picture or something where these tabs are and what they used to get it out, i.e., one or two screwdrivers. Do the screw drives stay in place when lifting the unit? I don't want to damage the plastic trying to take the core unit out
Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper11 View Post
I hate to bother you again, but I can not see where the plastic tabs are, I have a set of extractor hooks designed for a Mercedes Benz, but they don't seem to work, can someone post a picture or something where these tabs are and what they used to get it out, i.e., one or two screwdrivers. Do the screw drives stay in place when lifting the unit? I don't want to damage the plastic trying to take the core unit out
The way I remember it was just a matter of using the blade of a screwdriver to pry the unit up a bit and then pulled the unit straight out. Wish I could give you more detailed instructions but can't recall, perhaps someone else will chime in.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Follow-Up: I did take the core unit out by taking out the dash panel and the heater control buttons, and just pushed it out. There are plastic tabs that can be depressed but River Pak told me no to do that because the screen unit is attached to it.

I took the core unit out to check the in-line fuse which was not blown.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my 2018 Winne View 24J Xite XSG3NA with Alpine ILX-F259 with CARPLAY works good. If you decide to replace the unit the Camera wire adapter is specific to Xite system so you'll need new cable and Camera.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I replaced our failed xite unit with a Kenwood. I’ve heard several mention the camera was specific to xite but it connected to the kenwood and works great.
vescotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

What model kenwood did you install. Thanks
Old 07-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

DNX893s
vescotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I wanted to install an additional USB port under the dash for my TPMS so had to remove the center radio dash area completely to find the spare radio USB port.

Here's a great video on Utube that shows how to take the center dash apart....

Very simple - but this video gives you the confidence to just start prying the plastic pieces apart.

BUT … you do not have to take the dash apart to remove just the main unit at the bottom. It just pops out from 4 tabs that require no tools. It's a wee bit easier with the frame removed since you'll have more the grab onto but on my 2017 MB Sprinter it just popped out. Word of clarification, there is no trim around the lower unit that is easily taken off but if you take off the upper trim and remove the heating/AC control unit, you can reach in behind the Infotainment system and push it out while you are pulling on the front.

Now a word of caution... the connectors at the back to the display screen are poorly designed and have a tendency to "fall out". Our unit (actually just the display) went dead after only 50 miles when it was brand new and the dealer had to reconnect ours. When it happened again I looked into it myself and put some additional bracing so the rear plug would not fall out and it's been good for almost 15,000 miles !

Tags
chassis