Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do I extend my inverter to another AC outlet?

Our 2016 Sunstar inverter connects to only selected AC outlets. How do I connect to an outlet not currently served?

Thanks for any insight
marc nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can download the AC drawings for your RV from winnebagoind.com

If you have a Xantrex 1000 with built in transfer switch you could rewire it so it gets shore power right from one of the two 15 amp breakers that feed all the outlets, and outputs to that entire branch circuit. The current place the Xantrex currently feeds from and feeds out to are tied together as part of the rewire.

Not trivial.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

marc nichols, what is the model of your coach and which recpt are you wanting to feed?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

How Much power

Just one though on this action. I too want outlets in additional places, but there is a problem. How much power will your inverter handle? The more outlets, the more chance you will overload the inverter, In addition, the larger the load, the sooner your batteries need changing. Instead of adding more plugs, I chose to switch my power needs to 120 volts. 12 volt outlets are fairly easy to install, I just tapped off the local light wires and have outlets on both sides of the bed, and near the sink and the front seats. The inverter takes a fairly large chunk of your battery just to be turned on. I can now leave the inverter off until I want to watch TV, because all my fans, phone chargers, computers, internet access etc run on 12 volts.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
marc nichols, what is the model of your coach and which recpt are you wanting to feed?
Ours is a 30T, again 2016. It has a 1.5K inverter. My issue is simply wanting to brew a pot of coffee in the morning when not on shore power or generator so the wife can sleep. I tried it from the dining table/credenza location which is inverter powered, and it works fine and does not seriously deplete the batteries. I want to power the outlet located in the kitchen, R of the sink.

My factory Zanthos inverter has two hard wired circuits to selected outlets. It also has two plug-in outlets that are unused. Can I run a circuit from one of the Zanthos open outlets to attach in parallel with the existing connections at the desired outlet? I don't know if that poses a conflict of some sort.

I have been unsuccessful in achieving a functional connection to the Winnebago wiring diagrams or parts catalogs despite an "served" Windows 8 PC.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc nichols View Post
..... Can I run a circuit from one of the Zanthos open outlets to attach in parallel with the existing connections at the desired outlet? I don't know if that poses a conflict of some sort.
You might consider running from the open outlet on the Zanthos to a new dedicated outlet. That way you would be sure to not have a problem and of course it would only work when the inverter is on. I've done this in my older MH. In my case I used white outlets for the outlets that are powered from the inverter. On a newer MH you might not like the look of different colored outlets.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_189352.pdf , the 2016 link redirects here so apparently there were no changes between 2015 and 2016.

Your inverter has a built in transfer switch and is designed to feed only a single 15 amp breaker fed branch circuit. You can't directly tie the two branch circuits together without creating a hazardous situation. You could move the galley outlet to the output side of the inverter fed branch circuit. Your other choice if you want to feed more than 1 branch circuit from one inverter is to buy a second transfer switch to switch the second branch circuit to the inverter when shore power is not present. Another choice would be to leave the existing galley outlet alone and add an additional outlet fed from the inverter side to the spot you want the coffee pot.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

marc nichols, as noted above you cannot tie the output of the inverter in parallel with the incoming power I can see this causing lots of smoke. For a once a day making coffee in the morning I would run a short extension cord from the rcp at the dining table behind the stove to the right of the sink.
I wish I had a inverter powered rcp on the sink/stove side of our coach.
By the way you have a XANTREX 806-1010 1000W inverter.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
My coach has a subpanel in the breaker panel for the output of the inverter. It also uses some 1/2 size breakers (2 circuits in a single position of the panel). When I got the coach, the only outlets connected to the inverter were the TV, bathroom and refrigerator. I swapped breakers around so that now I have the kitchen, living room and bedroom outlets on the inverter, too. All of the original breaker values are the same. I had to swap a couple of full size and 1/2 size breakers to make them fit into the available positions, but all of the circuits are protected the same as before swapping everything out.

Bear in mind that I can't run a hair dryer, coffee maker, toaster and electric frying pan at the same time, but with some common sense power management, it is a far superior setup than originally was delivered.

You should have a main panel for everything that's not on the inverter and a subpanel for everything that is. If they are all in the same enclosure, you can move things around a bit. If you're not comfortable working with electricity or wiring, don't try this at home.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

OKCNEWBIE has the right idea. Install a new receptacle in the kitchen counter area and tie into the inverter output. We did this on the end of the counter and was easy to wire.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for the suggestions and insights. And thank you Randy for the link to the wiring diagram, which I have printed out.

If I can't do the necessary change(s) myself, I have a friend quite capable and he would be interested, having the same model.

And yes, I stand corrected, ours is a 1K inverter. It does easily power my 4 cup coffee maker with negligible effect to my batteries. Nothing in my coach operates without a morning injection of caffeine!

Cheers, Marc
Old 11-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Modern inverters have several functions. When plugged into shore power they power their outlets via the shore power. At the same time the shore power is connected to a battery charger that keep the house batteries charged. When shore power is disconnected the battery charger is stopped and the unit drops the connection to between the shore power and the outlets. When this is safely completed it starts the inverter to provide power to the outlet/s from the batteries. As noted earlier there is usually only a single 115vac circuit from the inverter. In my case there were 4 outlets - All hidden behind TV, Microwave, Etc. It is safe to install as many outlets on this circuit as you like. Disconnect the shore power and turn off the inverter then make sure there is no power at the outlet you intend to extend. Use a lamp, meter, or other means just be sure it is off. Next, remove the cover from the selected outlet and remove the outlet from the hole. There should be enough wire to pull it out a few inches. Look at the outlet. If you are lucky this is the end of the run and there are only three wires, Black, White, and Green and an pair of screws with no wires. This is where you hook your extension. Match colors, the black is hot, the white is ground and the green is return/safety. Run you new wire to you new power box and socket. Look at what you have and duplicate it. Note: The screws on the two side of the outlets are not alike. The darker colored should get the black wire and the lighter colored screw gets the white wire. If it is a cheep outlet and the screws are the same - put the white wire on the side with the widest hole in the outlet front. If you already have two sets of wires it is a little harder to do. What I do is take one of the set of wires off the outlet and use a wire nut to connect your new wire and the existing wire to a same color pigtail of wire and put the pigtail under the screws.

Once this is accomplished install both sockets in their respective boxes and install the cover.

Have a beer and enjoy your new outlet.

The warnings - 1 - Only use wire and outlets that are rated for as much current as your inverter will produce. 2 - Be careful how your run the wire. It should be secured and insulated where it goes over metal. Motor homes shake and the shaking can rub the insulation off if the wires are not secure. Make sure the wire is not touching hot things, exhaust, furnace flue, etc and make sure it follows the route and is bundled with the other wires if it is going to a slide. 3 - Now for the biggest warning - Do Not Overload the Inverter. The Inverter will have a circuit breaker to protect itself, but repeated breaker trips are detrimental to the breaker. With more outlets it is much easier to get giddy and plug in a coffee pot, microwave, Vitamix blender, and hair dryer, then when you turn them all on as your significant other will do as soon as you get this installed you will trip the breaker. You have been warned.

This is how I added my new circuit.

One final thought - if you are not real handy with tools you can add a built in extension cord that runs under the coach, along the floor wall seam, or through the cabinets. Just purchase a heavy duty 3 wire extension chord from your favorite toy store, plug it into an existing outlet and attach it along the floor, etc leave the socket end where it can be used. Caution: Do not run it under the carpet. Foot traffic will wear off the insulation and cause a short.

Hopefully this will help someone. I still need to move an outlet on my slide from shore power to the inverter to charge my cell phone at the table, and the comment about significant other was my wife that blew my breaker the next morning after I added the extra outlet in the kitchen for the coffee pot. Kurig+Microwave+Vitaminx = Blown breaker. I gave her a big hug and suggested she not do that again.

One final note: Since all these breakers are powered by the same inverter circuit when on shore power, the power limitations still hold. Even when on shore power you can not draw more power through these circuits than you can when you are on inverter power so keep that in mind when planning.

You can brew a cup for me as I ma Coffee powered as well.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
...... I still need to move an outlet on my slide from shore power to the inverter to charge my cell phone at the table........
If it was me and I just needed something to charge my phone I would go with a 12 vdc outlet.

also; Not a biggie but technically modern inverters are just inverters. You can get an inverter/charger with lots of features but an inverter only gives 12ac output.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Marc,

Doesn't answer your question but....Why don't you just buy a coffee press or a peculator-and use the stove. Light it with a log lighter and no noise! Great for boondocking too.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Our 2016 Sunstar inverter connects to only selected AC outlets. How do I connect to an outlet not currently served?
Thanks for any insight
marc nichols
120VAC wiring is changed in RVs the same way that the 120VAC wiring in houses is changed.

If you are not familiar with that procedure I suggest you hire an electrician to change yours.... (or to add an inverter powered receptacle where you want/need it).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
My issue is simply wanting to brew a pot of coffee in the morning when not on shore power or generator so the wife can sleep.
marc nichols
When we need to brew a pot of coffee when not on shore power or generator power we use a percolator and the propane cook top.... (or we settle for instant coffee made with water heated on that cook top).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Marc,

Doesn't answer your question but....Why don't you just buy a coffee press or a peculator-and use the stove. Light it with a log lighter and no noise! Great for boondocking too.
Yeah, good call, and what I expected to hear first off. And, since I use an Airobie press for my first jolt at home, that seems obvious. But, my wife does in fact get aroused..."by the armoa" of the coffee and will be out for her cup before long. The Airobie makes a good cup but is tedious. Anyway, this coach has so many cool features but simply not having inverter access on the kitchen counter seems ridiculous. One can manage battery draw just like one manages the throttle pedal or a budget. In 15 years of RVing, I've never run out of battery...though close a few times.

Tags
inverter