Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How do I add an Inverter for the whole system

I have a Winnebago Adventurer 35U. I changed out the 130 watt inverter in the upper cabinet for the TV/DVD player to a 600 watt Pure Sine inverter. I did this instead of putting a larger inverter in for my whole RV as the tech at the RV shop said my control switch didn't have room to wire a large inverter in ie:2000 watt. How does everyone else do it? My control switch is a PS245L (pics attached). If possible, how would it be wired in? Does someone have or can they email me a schematic of how it can be done? Any info would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110510-00131.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	10216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110510-00132.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	10217  

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am not familiar with your coach but I can tell you what I did. I had no inverter so faced the problem of how to get inverted power to outlets that were already wired to the existing ac panel. To further complicate the situation I was advised that the length of cables between the batteries and the inverter need to be kept as short as possible. What I did was to mount the inverter in my electrical bay that was next door to the batteries, it was tight but I got it in. I then hardwired an outlet from the inverter inside the same bay, I was able to remote the inverter off/on switch to the inside cabinet where my breaker box is located. To make the inverter ready to use I adapt my shore power cord down to 20 amps and plug it in to the inverter outlet in the bay. When I want inverted power I turn on the inverter and turn off the converter breaker as I don't want to be charging the batteries at the same time I'm using them. If I'm concerned someone might try and use an appliance the inverter can't handle then I can turn off additional breakers. So far it's worked well for me. Hope this helps.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Les,

The large inverters are usually wired in after the main breaker panel, not at the transfer switch. A breaker sub-panel is added and the breakers for the circuits to be powered by the inverter are moved to the sub-panel. Typically, a 30 amp breaker is added to the main panel to supply AC power to the inverter. The AC output of the inverter powers the sub-panel. When you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, the inverter "passes through" the AC power coming from the main panel. If the inverter is in standby mode, as soon as the AC from the main panel goes away, the inverter begins supplying inverted AC power to the sub-panel. It all happens so fast you won't even see the TV blink.

Here's a link to the owners manual for an inverter that Winnebago has used in the past. Not sure if it's the one you want, but it explains basically how they all operate. Note that the inverter itself contains a transfer switch of its own.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I wonder if you need a new Tech.. however this I will say

An inverter for the "Whole System" including the air conditioner nd water heater is a fearsom thing and will suck your batteries dry faster than I can type this message. I type around 70-100 WPM.

Now If you were to get a good true sine wave inverter, And the example I'll use is the Xantrex prosine 2.0.. What you do is this.. Forget your transfer switch, it has NOTHING to do with this install.

First: For the stuff that's currently on the 600 watt.. Leave it just as it is,

Second, all lines you want to power via the inverter, Label them (Write right on the wire jacket with a sharpie) and remove them from the breaker box.. Replace ONE of the breakers with the proper breaker for the inverter's AC-IN... On the Prosine 2.0 that's 30 amps.

Run the proper size wire to the inverter, and run a 2nd line back to the area of the breaker box from the inverter.

Install a 2nd (30 amp sub panel) breaker box.. Sub panels have one difference from main breaker boxes, That is where the "Main" box is designed so power comes IN via a breaker, on a "Sub" panel the incoming power goes direct to the bus bar (The ones the breakers plug into) there is no "MAIN" breaker in a sub panel.

Re-connect the lines to new (or for that matter the old) breakers in this new sub panel.

Here is what happens.

With the Prosine charger and inverter both enabled, if you have shore power, the Prosine will switch to "Battery charger" mode. Charging and maintaining the batteries.

Should shore power be lost, the Prosine QUICKLY (THink UPS) switches over to INVERTER mode and powers the SELECTED loads via it's built in transfer switch (Which is why your existing transfer switch don't matter)

Now: on the existing inverter.. If you wish to eliminate it.. Then there may be a transfer switch assocated with it.. This you can simply bypass, transfering the AC-"Mains" line to that switch to the sub panel.

This is easier to explain hands on.

But I'd just leave the 600 watt inverter and only transfer the other stuff (Microwave, GFCI loop) you want on the newer bigger one, Less you have a buyer for the smaller one.

You could transfer it's ac-input line (The line that provides power to the TV when on shore power) to the sub panel and simply pull the 12 volt fuse on teh smaller inverter too,,, IN fact there is a major advantage to that.

Should the big inverter ever fail.. you can easily bypass it for shore/generator pwer use (Very easy, do not forget to sharpie the wires with labels) and re-connect the aforementioned fuse to the smaller one and watch TV.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I also had a MH that had no inverter. I purchased a 1800 watt Xantrex pure sine wave inverter with a built in transfer switch. I installed the inverter in the bay next to the batteries then ran two runs of 10 gauge 110/120 electrical wiring through flexible conduit to into the coach next to the existing electrical panel and into a new electrical panel. I moved the breakers and wiring for the circuits that I wanted on to use the inverter to the new panel. I mounted the inverter remote on the dash next to the other switches.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I installed a Prosine 2500 watt true sine wave inverter in our 2003 Suncruiser 33V. I chose the Prosine because it was flat and fit into a dead area in the DS slideout. See www.rvcruzer.com for a detailed photo if you want.

I ran two pair (hot and ground) of #2/0 battery cables over to it rather than a single pair of #4/0 because it was easier to pass that wire gauge from one side to the other. I then added a 30 amp breaker in the main panel and fed the inverter with #10-3 Romex. The inverter's output was also 10-3 Romex and it fed a small sub-panel with four breaker slots. I mounted this next to the existing breaker panel and rerouted four circuits (receptacles and microwave) over to the sub-panel. I also added two more batteries to help feed it.

I did not power the water heater (can run on propane) or the fridge (can also run on propane) with it. Nor did I run the air conditioners. That's just too much stuff for the batteries and would run them dead in a hurry.

It can be done. You just need to make sure you have enough battery capacity (or be willing to add some), be able to install a sub-panel, and be prepared to do some wiring.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
It can be done. You just need to make sure you have enough battery capacity (or be willing to add some), be able to install a sub-panel, and be prepared to do some wiring.
Mark, I agree. Unless you have some big equipment and a huge battery bank one needs to be selective as to what should be powered up on an aftermarket inverter system.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote