Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Two questions on installing the "TB Converters" (the converter that you buy so your old TV can pick up HD).
1. I have already converted my front tv so no problem there. My rear tv is located in the corner (drivers side) next to the bedroom slideout that has the closets. The tv is located above a dresser that has the three drawers. Where is everyone mounting the TB converter with this configuration? I thought about mounting right under the cabinet since the directions say it must be in site to use the remote control that the TB comes with. So, how are you mounting yours? Hang it? It looks as though there is no other way unless you set it right on top of the dresser? If you hang it what are you doing for brackets?
2. Is there a cable running from the MH antenna to the back of the rear tv? I would assume this is the case but cannot be sure unless I begin tearing into the cabinet.

Thanks guys
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Two questions on installing the "TB Converters" (the converter that you buy so your old TV can pick up HD).
1. I have already converted my front tv so no problem there. My rear tv is located in the corner (drivers side) next to the bedroom slideout that has the closets. The tv is located above a dresser that has the three drawers. Where is everyone mounting the TB converter with this configuration? I thought about mounting right under the cabinet since the directions say it must be in site to use the remote control that the TB comes with. So, how are you mounting yours? Hang it? It looks as though there is no other way unless you set it right on top of the dresser? If you hang it what are you doing for brackets?
2. Is there a cable running from the MH antenna to the back of the rear tv? I would assume this is the case but cannot be sure unless I begin tearing into the cabinet.

Thanks guys
Old 08-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Seeing as how I am not the most mechanical person in the world and after much research and discussions - I am going to have my dealer install mine. I want to be able to control each set separately and the one in the bedroom is a bear to get to.

Therefore I will brunt the expense and make sure it's done right!!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I purchased the Winegard converter with the analog pass through feature because of its small foot print. I connected my front converter adjacent to the selector switch. I turned everything on and the pass through feature worked; so success.

Your rear TV sounds like it is in a very similiar position as mine. Mine is in the corner and sits over the bureau drawers with the top of the bureau drawers forming a shelf and there is about 14-16" between the bottom of the TV support shelf and this bureau top.

So I took the TV out to access the A/C plug and the cable. I purchased and installed in the back wall right corner a dual cable plug. Drilled a hole large enough to fit the plugs. Two Plugs: one for signal in and the other signal out to the TV.

When I removed the TV I had initially disconnected the original cable from the TV that went from the MH splitter mounted to a stud to the TV. I then connected this cable from the existing splitter to the backside of the #1 new cable plug.

When I took the TV out I laid it on the bed. I purchased a TV cable long enough to go from the back of the 2nd plug so I could screw the other end of the cable into the TV plug while the TV laid on the bed. The TV is heavy and the space is small and awarkward so having the cable pre-connected makes the re-install a little easier.

I then mounted the converter against the side wall with velcro. I wired in the two cables to the new plug so the signal came in from #1 and back out the TV thru #2.

When I say "side wall" (a photo would be better then this description) I mean the vertical side wall to your right when facing the bureau about 14-16" high between the bureau top and the bottom of the TV support shelf.

I used the A/C power outlet available in the backwall to power the converter. I purchased an A/C multipler plug so I will retain enough outlets for a clock and charging cell phones.

To remove the TV you need to remove the thin plywood cover that is located under the TV support shelf. Loosen the strap bolts. I have to admit when I did that I thought am I going to be able to get these bolts back on the strap! And then I pried the strap a little to take the tension out of it. Then I slid the TV forward and cocked it a little so the right side came out first. At least that is what worked for me. I put it back about the same way. Then I used a long nose needle plyers shooved through the small crack to hold the strap while I inserted the bolt.

The converter is out of the way; doesn't take up shelf space; and is visible to the remote. The only troulble (And the reason there is no photo) the rear TV converter did not work. I guess the pass through feature is broken? I can jump out the signal so I know the cabling is good. So I have to return the converter and get another one. Once I have done that I'll take a photo and post it. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I helped a friend install one in his Adventurer, sounds the same as yours. We drilled a hole in the thin plywood bottom cover and then Velcroed the DTV converter to the bottom cover. We put a splitter on the AC receptacle. We only loosened the strap and were able to get the TV out. There was also a plywood stop with holes for the rear TV feet that was screwed in.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Steve or John - either of you guy's want to help an old guy out??? Come and install mine....great job fella's!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"TB Converters" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never heard the digital converter box called that!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the converter that you buy so your old TV can pick up HD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It would really be neat if there were such a thing, but there isn't. I think what you mean is "so your old (analog tuner) TV can pick up digital signals." HD (high definition) TV is an entirely different animal that requires a new HD TV.

I mounted one converter box up front behind the VCR/DVD combo and velcroed to the top of sat antenna controller box so I can watch digital on the front TV by selecting VCR on the switch box for that TV, or watch analog by selecting ANT on the swith box. After next Feb, I might change that setup so it is in the ANT lead rather than the VCR lead.

At present, I am not insterested in installing one on the rear RV as I have never watched antenna there in the five years we've owned the coach. If I did, I think I would mount it with velcro or double sided tape under the overhead cabinet and run the coax though holes drilled in the bottom of the cabinet. That would require pulling the TV out of the cabinet to get to the coax, but that's not a real big deal.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #8

I keeping asking DH if we should get one of the converter boxes and he keeps telling me that we hardly ever will use the antenna.

Are all you guys not subscribing to satellite TV? We just assume that everybody is using satellite but evidently not? Or are you using your antenna just to pick up local stations when you're on the road?

We are at parks that have cable so we don't have to worry, correct? And we plan to have satellite when we travel so we really shouldn't have to have a converter box, correct.

Ah, this is so confusing to us ...especially when all of you seem to be so concerned about having the converter boxes installed. We wonder if what we are missing here.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I made it easy. I replaced the coax on back of the front TV with slide on type. The HD box gets stored away, when I can't use the dish I put the HD box on the sun visor its acts as a shelf, the wires then run through the HD box. There was no need to get to the back of the coach switch box in the cabinet. For the rear TV I mounted the HD box with 3M dual lock plastic velcro and ran the wires through the HD box. Its no more complicated than hooking up a vcr. The TV picture is clear as bell, far better that the house antenna ever could be and I get 25 or so channels with house antenna normally I get 5 or 6. My box is the cheap simple one from WalMart.
Even when I use the dish I like to view local TV for weather alerts and local news so I plan to instal small a b switches to go from sattelite to local tv.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It would really be neat if there were such a thing, but there isn't. I think what you mean is "so your old (analog tuner) TV can pick up digital signals." HD (high definition) TV is an entirely different animal that requires a new HD TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually there are HD converters available. One is the Winegard RC-1010. This is a true HD converter not a SD converter like most. If you have a TV with component inputs you can use this type converter for a true HD picture.

Winegard RC-1010 Manual
Old 08-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i haven't bought a converter box yet but i was assuming i could hook it up between the antenna and the distribution center so the digital signal would be available to both the front and rear tvs via a push of the antenna button..is this possible?..thanks..jim
Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Yes, you can hook it up to the VCR and use the VCR pass-thru or hook the output to the AUX input on the Video Switch Box.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We just assume that everybody is using satellite but evidently not? Or are you using your antenna just to pick up local stations when you're on the road? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We use satellite. About 1/2 of the parks we stay in have CATV. When we are not in one of those parks that have CATV, we (the DW) use antenna to pick up local stations.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

A big tree is blocking my roof top dish, so I'm using the antenna. I just need to hook up the box for now.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

As always this group has the answers. Thanks gang.
SteveG-Your solution is just what I was thinking but you have made it even better. Yours sounds identical to mine. Thanks for a great reply and all the details.
JohnHilley-Thanks for the confirmation on your install. I think I will try your thoughts in your second post before tearing into the rear TV. That makes sense and sounds like a lot less work. Thanks
AFChap-Glad you straigtened me out. You are right...it says on the box "DTV Digital Converter for your analog TV". It does say "TB" in big letters and numbers after that. Probably a model number?
Thanks again to all for your help.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually there are HD converters available. One is the Winegard RC-1010. This is a true HD converter not a SD converter like most. If you have a TV with component inputs you can use this type converter for a true HD picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John

I read in that manual:
"To receive free, over the air High Definition programming, connect your Winegard Digital Receiver to an HD Capable Television."
Which says to me that I have to have an HD TV in order to receive HD programming. I undertand that to mean that the digital converter box does NOT make my old TV into an HD tv -- it only provider a digital receiver for my old analog TV. Am I mis-understanding something?? Can I REALLY get an HD picture on my non-HD TV through my $10 (+$40 coupon) digital converter box???
Old 08-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually there are HD converters available. One is the Winegard RC-1010. This is a true HD converter not a SD converter like most. If you have a TV with component inputs you can use this type converter for a true HD picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John

I read in that manual:
"To receive free, over the air High Definition programming, connect your Winegard Digital Receiver to an HD Capable Television."
Which says to me that I have to have an HD TV in order to receive HD programming. I undertand that to mean that the digital converter box does NOT make my old TV into an HD tv -- it only provider a digital receiver for my old analog TV. Am I mis-understanding something?? Can I REALLY get an HD picture on my non-HD TV through my $10 (+$40 coupon) digital converter box??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To get HD you need a TV or Monitor with component input, 3 RCA Video Cables (Y,Cb,Cr) and 2 RCA audio.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

The converter is actually called an 'STB', that stands for Set Top Box.

As mentioned, there are STB's that deliver true "Hi Def" output to a capable TV. But the couponed STB's don't have these outputs per the conditions of the coupon. The whole idea of the coupon was to give people what they have now and nothing more. While the couponed STB's receive hi-def programming, it's displayed in standard definition.

JIM: It's one STB per TV IF you want to watch separate channels on each TV. AND, if your switchbox as a red LED power light for the pre-amp on the antenna, you can NOT install the STB in-line between the switchbox and the antenna as it supplies power to the antenna. There are ways to do it, but not without a DC port passive splitter.

34H Mounting: My STB in the front is installed above the DVD/VCR. It's really snug so all I did was just push it in. The only problem is that all the vents are covered so I drilled a row of holes on either side on the box. Problem solved.

In the rear, the plan is to install it completely in the bathroom cabinet directly behind the bedroom TV and remote the IR detector to the STB. All with no holes or banging heads on equipment protruding from the wall. This one isn't very high on the list, but I have the STB for it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Slight nitpick - an STB is ANY device that goes with the TV to provide a signal. A cable TV box is an STB. A satellite receiver is an STB. A Tivo is an STB. A digital OTV Tuner is just a different kind of STB.

joe
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Yep, same as the almost 50 year old Zenith 3 knob UHF converter which is what coined the phrase. Gotta call it something.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote