Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Been lurking on this great form for some time. Picked up a lot of useful info. Now I have a question for the form. Have a 2001 Winnebago Brave with 17,540 miles. My 1st big problem is that the house battery's ran way down due to a light being left on. I plugging into shore power for a couple of days. Still no work. Removed the cables and trickle charged them for a couple more. A volt meter shows them to be around 13v. Still no 12v to coach.

Using shore power everything works ok. Using the generator, all ok. Main panel reads out ok on both ac and generator. When on house battery's nothing lights up on panel. The generator did start. I assume that it uses the house battery's?

To sum up. no lights , water pump, refer, LP detector, TV antenna, etc. I did make sure that disconnect switch is on and I reset all breakers and such, that I could find.

Sure could use some help. Would like to bug out before the snow flys.

Thanks a bunch
Ken
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Been lurking on this great form for some time. Picked up a lot of useful info. Now I have a question for the form. Have a 2001 Winnebago Brave with 17,540 miles. My 1st big problem is that the house battery's ran way down due to a light being left on. I plugging into shore power for a couple of days. Still no work. Removed the cables and trickle charged them for a couple more. A volt meter shows them to be around 13v. Still no 12v to coach.

Using shore power everything works ok. Using the generator, all ok. Main panel reads out ok on both ac and generator. When on house battery's nothing lights up on panel. The generator did start. I assume that it uses the house battery's?

To sum up. no lights , water pump, refer, LP detector, TV antenna, etc. I did make sure that disconnect switch is on and I reset all breakers and such, that I could find.

Sure could use some help. Would like to bug out before the snow flys.

Thanks a bunch
Ken
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum . Sorry that I cannot help with your problem but I am sure some of our electrical wizards will respond with some suggestions. Your house batteries do crank the generator so you do have at least enough juice to start that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have 12 volts at the batteries but not in the coach and the switch is on, I would try measuring the affect of your switch. In other words put your ohm meter across the switch terminals and make sure your switch is working. If it is then it has to be an issue at the panel. Find the 12v lead coming to the 12v fuse panel and measure there. You need to isolate where you are losing the 12v source. It seems that if in fact is working with the Gen and/or 110 then it should be the switch or battery itself.
JMHO -- Frank O.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Don't know if the 2001 Brave has the battery circuit breaker in the same spot as my 95, but check next to all the other chassis fuses(under the lift up dash) for a 40 amp circuit breaker. It is a small red cap with 40 on it, try pushing it in.
1995Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

It sounds like it is possibly the coach battery disconnect solenoid. On my 1999 Brave it is located on the firewall directly in front of the drivers seat. It has a label "Battery Mode Solenoid & Relays" on the cover. You will see the heavy battery cable from the coach battery and the heavy cable going back to power the coach. with the battery switch On, you should have 12 volts on each cable, with it off, only on the feed from the batteries. The battery isolation solenoid is also in this box.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our Meridian has a switch on the dash that I have managed to accidently hit - twice - while cleaning the inside windshield. Both times, we were getting ready for a trip, and it sure put us behind looking for the problem. The incidents were far enough apart for me to not remember the fix the second time! It cut off all power, and I could only restore proper operation by starting the generator. I've been meaning to look into what I did, but haven't had the time to purposely duplicate it.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The 1995 Brave hit the nail on the head. Lifted the dash located the 40a breaker gave it a push and what do you know. All working ok now. Many thanks.

Ken
Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Do you know what caused a 40 amp breaker to trip or was it an accident?
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Rocket man, same thing happened to me on my 2001 Itasca sunrise, that breaker under the dash tripped when I was doing some work on the batterys, took me days to find it.
Glad everything worked out. By the way if thoses are your original Batterys you might think about replaceing them, they're getting pretty old.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Homer, now that RV Carpenter mentioned it I did ground out the + side of battery cable while cleaning cables and battery box. It was such a slight spark I didn't consider it a problem, and completely forgot about it. Boy was I wrong. Thanks again guys.