Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

House battery on 06 Aspect

I cannot--for the life of me figure out how to open the house battery door on the 2006 Aspect 23d. The door is behind the drivers seat and the users manual instructs to turn the handle and lift the door.

However it is merely a silver lift handle--no locking mechanism, and it does not turn.

I have pulled on it with pretty significant force, and while she has a little give to her--it is obviously still latched somewhere.

To confirm my sanity, I removed the silver pull handle (4 screws) to confirm it was just a lift handle.

There are two metal squares in the middle of the door with what appear to be a post of some sort in the middle.

Please someone save this door, before I rip it off.
madbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuffalo View Post
I cannot--for the life of me figure out how to open the house battery door on the 2006 Aspect 23d. The door is behind the drivers seat and the users manual instructs to turn the handle and lift the door.

However it is merely a silver lift handle--no locking mechanism, and it does not turn.

I have pulled on it with pretty significant force, and while she has a little give to her--it is obviously still latched somewhere.

To confirm my sanity, I removed the silver pull handle (4 screws) to confirm it was just a lift handle.

There are two metal squares in the middle of the door with what appear to be a post of some sort in the middle.

Please someone save this door, before I rip it off.
Call the manufacturer.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

madbuffalo,
While we don't have the same coach as you, I still try and help when I can here on the site. I didn't even know what an "Aspect" looks like 'till I looked up a brochure. Now, you say the door you're having trouble with has a handle on it that you "pull" to open the door?

Typically, that action, of pulling on the handle is transposed/transferred to a rotating mechanism inside the door to convert your actions to, two rods that pull on what's known in the hardware world as "Slam latches". They are beveled catches that have one side beveled so as to be able to "slam" the door shut, although not recommended. The other side of the bevel is straight so as to keep the door shut until, the rods are pulled and the therefore, pulling in on those beveled catches.

Now, this is all surmising that you have that system. I could be way off base here and you might have another type mechanism that is in play here and holds that door shut. I can't tell from the pictures on the site I looked up the Aspect on, whether there's other doors/latches just like the one you're trying to actuate.

If there are, then I might suggest you take a good look at the one(s) that are operating correctly and see just how the mechanism looks and operates. If you don't have any more doors like that, I might suggest, if you don't get any appreciable answers here, that you venture off to a dealer that might have the same type of rig and check out the battery door on that one to see if you can determine what's up with it and why yours is not working correctly. Just an idea.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I had a 2006 Cambria twin to the Aspect you should have a odd shaped key the cover is locked.

Jerry
12 Aspect 28T
geraldnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Our 08 Aspect has a round shaped key. Two locks to turn than lift with handle.
The slide on ours has to be out also.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yep you have to unlock the door with a barrel shaped key. Then pull on the recessed ring and the door will open. It is not on hinges, so be careful that you do not snag your seat back with some pretty sharp edges on the door.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

You guys are aces. Thank you.

Barrel key it was.

Now why the heck couldn't Winnebago put that in the users manual? i.e. Using the provided key....

I am learning that Winnebago seriously needs to hire some new technical writers.

Thanks again everyone!
madbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldnew View Post
I had a 2006 Cambria twin to the Aspect you should have a odd shaped key the cover is locked.

Jerry
12 Aspect 28T
I need some info, I have a 2005 Aspect 23D and have looked everyware for the generator fuel on/off switch or shut off valve. Help!!!!
Old 08-31-2023, 12:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Adding to a post that is this old may not be the best way to start as many of those folks will have moved on!

But that doesn't help to answer the questions so we move on! Is there some reason you expect a cutoff? Looking at the parts manual on page 80, I see no reason for one on such a short line.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...05/5wf723d.pdf
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 gen.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	187127
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery