Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

House Battery Charging

I have just acquired a 2011 Journey. I previously pulled a 5 th wheel & it had a battery disconnect switch on the battery. No current in or out with switch off.
My question is; While in storage, if i plug into 110 shore power to keep batteries charged, can this be done with the house and chassis battery switches in off position. If not, what would be proper connection for external charger?
Thanks for your assistance.
RLCASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you have 120V external power just leave the disconnect switches in the normal operating position. If you don't have access to 120V power then put the switches in the disconnect position. Your house & chassis batteries will be fine for 2-3 months as long as there is no phantom load on them.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If your charger is capable of a maintenance mode you can leave it plugged in. If not it will "cook" your batteries.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm taking delivery of our first RV of ANY kind on Monday. The manual says that when running, the engine alternator will charge the house batteries.

My question is: will it charge if the battery disconnect switch is off? I would think not, but thought I'd ask.
corton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Typically the alternator charging circuit will go through an isolation setup and be connected even with the coach switch off. The reason is, at least in boats, if you interrupt the alternator circuit while the engine is running you will fry the voltage output regulator in the alternator. Learned that one the hard way.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by corton View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm taking delivery of our first RV of ANY kind on Monday. The manual says that when running, the engine alternator will charge the house batteries.

My question is: will it charge if the battery disconnect switch is off? I would think not, but thought I'd ask.
I agree with Mike's answer.

About the disconnect switch. I can't think of a reason why I would want to disconnect the house battery while I am driving. Assuming you have a gas/elect fridge it won't work, the water pump won't work, and the lights don't work (not that you need them in daylight) if the battery is disconnected.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Is there a reason why you would want to disconnect the house battery while the engine is running. I can't think of a reason why I would want to disconnect the house battery unless I am storing the RV for a few months.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well, since I'm still at the virgin phase of RVing, I have lots of questions that I can't find an answer for in the manual.

As an example, if it was being stored, and a month later I decided to take it out just to put some time on it, it'd be easier to hop in and go as opposed to first reconnecting the house batteries (SOOoooo hard to flip that switch!) then driving off.

Also don't understand why the manual says to NOT leave it plugged in if being stored.
corton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well, since I'm still at the virgin phase of RVing, I have lots of questions that I can't find an answer for in the manual.

As an example, if it was being stored, and a month later I decided to take it out just to put some time on it, it'd be easier to hop in and go as opposed to first reconnecting the house batteries (SOOoooo hard to flip that switch!) then driving off.

Also don't understand why the manual says to NOT leave it plugged in if being stored.
You will get many more replies by more people with expertise in each area by starting a new topic for each question, than by adding to a topic that is ongoing.

Many people will follow a topic for the first several replies and if they feel the topic has be resolved they won''t look at future replies.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:

It is also helpful if you include the year, make & model of your RV when you ask questions.

An excellent way to accomplish this is to include the RV info in your signature line.

In the upper left of your logon screen on the orange bar you will find "User CP". Click on it and you will find a place to edit your signature.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yup, you caught me, Al; Knew I had to do that, but was just in a rush to get into the forum etc. Hopefully this post has it.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yup, you caught me, Al; Knew I had to do that, but was just in a rush to get into the forum etc. Hopefully this post has it.
Yep. I know well the hurry to get things done. As my dad used to say: "The faster I go the be-hinder I get!"
Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCASC View Post
I have just acquired a 2011 Journey. I previously pulled a 5 th wheel & it had a battery disconnect switch on the battery. No current in or out with switch off.
My question is; While in storage, if i plug into 110 shore power to keep batteries charged, can this be done with the house and chassis battery switches in off position. If not, what would be proper connection for external charger?
Thanks for your assistance.
I'm on the road all of the time so I can't answer you directly. But...
First, it is best if you have a 20A and not a 15A 120VAC circuit.

Shut the water heater and engine heaters off.
In the Magnum "Tech" menu, set the charger for 15A.
Once you have done this, and you see the inverter is charging, shut the battery disconnect switches off and measure the voltage at each bank. I think you will disconnect the charging system. A volt meter should tell.
If you have the residential fridge you should shut it off also.
Please post what you find.
Rick

Tags
battery, charging