Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
jgh
Winnebago Camper

house battery

I want to add second house battery. not sure how to go about it. don't see solenoid in battery box.
what do i need to add battery?
picture of what i have is attached.
2006 sightseer 34a
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0253.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	172302  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm no expert but I'm going to guess you're going to just need to wire the new battery into the house side either parallel or serial. Will probably need to make/buy some jumper wires.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
jgh
Winnebago Camper

solinoid

thanks
I was concerned that there is no solenoid like I have seen in other setups.
possible not in battery box.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I'm no expert but I'm going to guess you're going to just need to wire the new battery into the house side either parallel or serial. Will probably need to make/buy some jumper wires.
Never connect two 12V batteries in series!! That will result in 24V not 12V. You can probably pick up suitable jumpers at any auto parts store.

Two 12V batteries should be connected in parallel, see the link below for details:

https://www.rvbasics.com/techtips/RV...-parallel.html

It's also best if your two house batteries are a matched pair in terms of specs and age. Therefore, if your existing house battery isn't pretty new you should buy two new ones.

If you're going to need buy two new batteries, you should think about installing two 6V "golf cart" batteries for more amp hours and more robust construction. In that case, you'd connect the 6V batteries in series to provide 12V (details in the above link).

I'm not sure where your solenoid(s) is/are but installing a second battery or changing over to golf cart batteries isn't going to affect the solenoid(s). You should check your owners manual and/or wiring diagram. Both are available online here:

https://winnebagoind.com/service
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

ThomB - Parallel only for this setup. Serial will bump up the voltage to 24 volts. Not a good idea.

Looks kind of tight, but if another will fit, cable both coach batteries in parallel. However, batteries in parallel need to be matched (identical types and capacity). Mixing old and new will only create more problems down the road, as the weaker battery will be doing most of the work. Not what you want. Best solution is to replace the old battery with 2 new identical batteries of the same manufacture. I would also recommend AGMs. Lithium are best, but your whole system would need modification.

Best wishes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
I want to add second house battery. not sure how to go about it. don't see solenoid in battery box.
2006 sightseer 34a
I have the same battery box on my Sightseer and I have two house batteries installed. My solenoid is located on the driver's side propane compartment. You have to remove the fuse panel to reveal the solenoid.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #7
CoveredWagon

Extra house battery

My 2005 Sightseer 29R has the battery box under the steps. I have the starting battery and 2 group 31 batteries for the house. It's a tight fit, but done. Just slide the start battery as far to the right as possible, there should be room for 2 house batteries and proper cables to wire them in parallel. Then only solenoid is to charge the house batteries from the alternator after the start battery is charged. Batteries wired in parallel with charge at the same rate until they are equally charged. If you keep an older battery along with a new battery, the service will only be as good as the weakest battery. Sam's Club has group 31, 105Ah batteries for $99. I just replaced my 4 batteries on my solar system 2 weeks ago.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Note: When buying batteries, look at the specs. If the specs include Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), they are not true deep cycle batteries. They are either automotive starting batteries or marine hybrid starting/deep cycle batteries. The "group" size denotes the physical size and terminal location. It indirectly gives an indication of the battery's relative amp hour capacity but has nothing to do with whether or not they're deep cycle, hybrid, or starting batteries.

These links may help:

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...ry-basics.html

https://koa.com/blog/what-you-need-t...-rv-batteries/
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The 2006 Sightseer has the standard 3 battery setup found on most F53 based Winnebago Coaches with the solenoid compartment door behind a hidden carpeted panel in the riser above the top step. Once you remove the carpeted panel which may simply be held in place with Velcro you may see a black metal plate with a latch on each side of it with the main 12 volt breakers behind it of which there should be about 7 including the main house batter breaker/reset. On the breaker panel will be a label indicating: Battery Mode Solenoid and Disconnect Relay Located Inside.

A previous owner simple eliminated the second house battery and its hold down bar along with the positive and negative jumpers cables that are about 10 to 12 inches long and should be set up in parallel (positive to positive/negative to negative) and there is no additional relay to support this. You will need a hold down bar, the two cables and since you have to install/replace the house batteries as a matched set you will need two identical batteries (make, model, capacity, date of manufacture and factory/lot number). A previous owner probably eliminated the second battery to save money however it would be nice if they had left the cables and hold down bar in the coach. There are no additional hold down bolts/rods as the hold down bar for the center battery simply goes on the same hold down rods already there in-between the engine and rear house battery however you may need a additional hold down nut if the engine batter is not as tall as the set of house batteries.

See section 6 pages 6 - 8 of your Operators Manual which should have been in the black Winnebago bag that originally came with the coach and should never be removed from it.

If this was not provided you can download the Operators Manual as a PDF file from Winnebago at the following link:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...6Sightseer.pdf
Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
WinnieAdven38

This looks just like the battery compartment in my 2005 Adventurer, to which I have added extensive battery mods.

(1) There is space for another battery in the middle
(2) There is no solenoid in this area. Rather it is located behind a removable panel at the back of the next step up. But you should not have to access that for just adding batteries.
(3) As other have said - you need to have matched batteries if adding a 2nd. That means - same make, model, and age. This space will hold GC2 size batteries.
(4) If buying new batteries suggest buying 2 - 6 volt batteries as these deep cycle better. I installed Trojan T-105 Plus, though other brands are available as well.
(5) Noticed your battery bay is getting quite rusty /corroded (quite common). This is because this area is open (for venting purposes but catches road water. Also any battery leakage of acid will quickly eat through
this. So STRONGLY suggest doing what I did -
- remove all batteries.
- thoroughly clean up all dirt and then wire brush all rust to remove loose flakes. Be sure to do underside of compartment as well as it is more exposed to road debris & weather.
- Wipe down with mineral spirits to ensure a grease-free base to paint to.
- Paint with 2 coats of POR-15 (available on Amazon). This acts as the primer and paint. This is a special formulation for preserving metal and provides permanent protection of steel (unlike Rustoleum - which is useless). I found out that this is the coating which professional auto restorers use to permanently protect metal. I have also used it extensively all around the chassis of the RV where rust was starting. However - it is powerful paint and you do not want to let this get onto your skin - because it will not clean off. Wear gloves and protection.

I cleaned up my battery compartment several years ago and it still looks new.

(6) Add a Victron Battery Meter. This is critical to help manage your batteries because one of the big problems with Lead-Acid batteries is that they can only be dis-charged 50%. If battery voltage is allowed to fall below 12v they can be permanently damaged. This battery monitor will give you exact readings as well as showing how many amps are going in & out.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
2006 sightseer 34a
I purchased new interstate 12v and it came with necessary cables to connect.
I know 2-6 trojans give you a few more amp hours bit if 1 goes bad I think you got no 12v service. looks like an easy job for your setup.
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953Tbm View Post
I purchased new interstate 12v and it came with necessary cables to connect.
I know 2-6 trojans give you a few more amp hours bit if 1 goes bad I think you got no 12v service. looks like an easy job for your setup.
In my 25+ years experience with 6v golf cart batteries, first in sailboats, then in RVs, I've never had a problem of one of the two going bad. Anything that would make one of two 12v batteries go bad (age, poor maintenance, excessive discharging, etc.) is likely to affect both of them fairly equally.

Tags
battery