Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

House Batteries Recomended & Micro Wave

Hi Guys:

I was going to go with the 6 volt Golf Cart Batteries to replace my dying 12 volt Interstates. But I don't
have the time to goof around. I will replace with (3) good old 12 volts. The Winnie Book says 130 Amp Hour...225 minute Reserve capacity, I assume they mean per battery? Having a heck of a time finding them. I would like to go AGM Marine maintenance free.... Can anybody recomend a name, model number and size.. and place to buy?

I belong to Sams Club, but the Duracell AGM's don't go up to 130 amp hr and 225 minute reserve capacity?

What a PIA........

To top it off juts got back from a camping trip and my convention Micro Wave offen will NOT cook or preheat past EXACTLY one minute on the timer. Even on regular micro wave operation. The sucker runs for exactly one minute and shuts off, even if I have 5 minutes programed in. Any ideas? it's a Sharp Model R-1871.

To add insult to injury, when I pulled into our campsite on Friday afternoon, I found out the rear windshield on my 2010 Jeep Sahara Unlimited was completely BLOWN OUT. How that happened I haven't got a clue.

One of those weekends. PAM4
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well I have no complaint about maintenance free but why go to the expense of AGM? Their big advantage is you can mount 'em upside down (or in other odd positions) no THIS SIDE UP. This is important for many things (Scooters, Off Roaders, (ATV) Wave runners, and such) but if you roll your RV over batteries will not be something you are worried about (you should but that's another issue).

Marine = Starting battery. NOT deep cycle

Some stores do sell Deep Cycle without the "marine" designation.

The price on 12 volt's is kind of high though (Was in a Camping World yesterday)

You will get more for less with six volts of the kind you water at Sam's.

As to "Fooling around" it is easier than installing 2 12 volt. (By one wire)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sir...

I bought a used 05 journey that originally had the the three 12 volts, the previous owner took them out and put in two six volts and said they were better. I just replaced those and put in 4 new six volts. I bought the batteries at costco and had a local bettery shop make and run the new needed cables. I would hightly recommend the 4 six volts.

Ours had the same problem with the Sharp microwave, took it to a local shop and they could not figure out the problem. I googled the problem and fixed it myself. There is a small motor that runs a dampener door that opens and closes. You have to pull the microwave out but the motor is relatively easy to replace. You can find schematics on the internet also. The part was around twenty bucks.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Malk415

It's making and running the battey leads that I am concerned about.

Anyway do you have that part number you ordered and maybe a web link that will show the wiring diagram for the Sharp Micro Wave. I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards PAM4
Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sir..

No, I am sorry but did not keep any of that info. You can find the parts schematic online and it shows the part number as well as the motor number is stamped on the part when you take it apart.

Battery cables are not that difficult any good battery place can make and install them. On mine the main negative and positive cables were long enough. They just had to make jumpers between the pos and neg on each pair of batteries and a positive jumper between the two pairs along with a negative between the two pairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0140.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	21342  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

I just bought 2 batteries from Tractor Supply. Group 27 105 amphrs at $85 a piece. You can measure where your battery is and buy any deep cycle that fits.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Malk415:

Ok it took me a while but I finally found a free download of the schematics for my R-1871. There is a small damper motor, Ref # 1-22 Part No. RMOTDA217WREO is this the part you replaced in your Micro Wave? Looking through the Sharp Service manual that is the only damper motor I can find.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards PAM4....Jim P.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

That is probably the one....
Before you order it, I would remove the microwave, disassemble and remove the small motor that opens and closes a tin door by the motor rotating and it has sorta a plastic crankshaft attached to it. Once you have the motor removed, take a 110 power cord with alligator clips on one end and attach it to the contacts on the motor. If it does not rotate slowly, then that is the culprit.

Be advised there is a capacitor near the area you will be working that retains a charge if the microwave was recently plugged in.

Mark
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by malk415 View Post
Sir..

No, I am sorry but did not keep any of that info. You can find the parts schematic online and it shows the part number as well as the motor number is stamped on the part when you take it apart.

Battery cables are not that difficult any good battery place can make and install them. On mine the main negative and positive cables were long enough. They just had to make jumpers between the pos and neg on each pair of batteries and a positive jumper between the two pairs along with a negative between the two pairs.
malk415,
Well Sir, yours looks dangerously close to my setup. I did the exact same thing about 6 months ago and, with Costco batteries. I made my own battery cables from 1GA cable and lugs. I soldered them and may crimp them. They're easy to make up. A battery cable crimper can be had for about $30.00 plus or minus and is very easy to use. I just soldered mine because I wanted to. Your wiring is almost identicle to mine. And, yes, the original cables to the coach were long enough for me to make the adjustments without altering them.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Fireup.....

It should look close... I patterned mine after the pics you posted!!! I also took all the neg and pos parasitic wires off the chassis batteries like you also.

Definitely makes a much cleaner install, although just for the heck of it and to insure a good ground I also ran one wire off the negative post to where I attached all the neg parasitic wires on the frame of the battery tray.

Mark
Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Battery Experts

Ok guys...I have a question for you. If I have the 6 volt setup for house batteries (4), can I use the Trikl Start on top six volt batteries and attach to my (2) 12 volt Engine batteries as backup charging system? Like I do now with my other batteries....if not... it's a no go.

6 volt vs 12 volt....???

Fire Up sent me his pics before. That setup looks great. But it is still easier for me to just purchase (3) new 12 volt batteries and slam them in. Screwing around with all those battery leads makes me nervous.

PAM4... Jim P.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Sam's Club has the group 27 and group 29 12V. batteries you are looking for. In the $ 80 ish to 89$ if I remember. I would go for the group 29 they are just a few dollars apiece more. Cant remember the specs. Go take a look, but must be a member to purchase or have a friend. They also had the 6V. which is a sweet way to go if you decide to do so.
Just in there 2 weeks ago
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

pameridian04,
In all reality Sir, if you have the same size tray as we do, it's just as easy to "slam" (4) 6V units in there as it is (3) 12V ones. His original leads, as well as mine, were long enough to be used as displayed in the pictures. The only ones made up were the connectors between the posts. And those only took me a bit longer 'cause I wanted to solder the lugs on instead of crimping them on.

It is well worth the slight extra effort to make up or, purchase the needed connector cables in order to have the benefits of the (4) 6V GC batteries. You'll thank yourself when it's all said and done.

And, as for your "trik-L-start", I'm not sure of your plan in the wiring scheme. Trik-L-start has specific wiring that you are supposed to use, at specific points. Some one on here or, call the dealer or mfgr for more detailed specifics on wiring those units in correctly. If I recall, the area you're supposed to put it, and the way it's to be done, takes only minutes.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Sir..

I am sure you could hook the trik-start up as before. On the coach batteries you would just hook it to the main cables coming from the coach as those are actually 12 volt connections because of the way 4 six volts are wired.

I installed mine up front in the electrical panel above my genset on my 05 Journey.

Mark
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Here is a nice way to hook up your triK L Start
What you are looking at is the battery isolator solonoid located under the removalvable panel over your generator area.

Your trikLStart will have 3 wires, The Black to ground, Yellow to the house battery side of the solonoid and blue to the chassis battery side of the solonoid.
You can see the attatched wires at the bottom area of the solonoid.

Your batteries will receive charge from your solar panel with the house battery switch on your dash in off position or on position.
Its out of the elements and makes a clean installation.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Here is where I mounted the trik L Start, You can see the ground wire under the right hand mounting screw.
Its located just to the right of the solonoid.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks RCtime:

The pictures really help. Even I can try hooking that up.

Regards PAM4
Old 05-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Pameridian04,
There are actually two motors with the same part number used in the microwave. The damper motor is the one shown in the photo attached to the blue and orange wires. You can see the damper located above that is actuated by the motor. Also, the capacitor mentioned above is also shown in the photo. The part can be ordered from sears. See attached motor order form. Be careful when removing the microwave, it weighs about 60lb approx and is a 2 man job to pull it out. Put something on the counter top to prevent scratching. Hope this helps.

jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1102a.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	21405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1103a.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	21406  

Name:	uw damper motor.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	21407  
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Sam's Club has the group 27 and group 29 12V. batteries you are looking for. In the $ 80 ish to 89$ if I remember. I would go for the group 29 they are just a few dollars apiece more. Cant remember the specs. Go take a look, but must be a member to purchase or have a friend. They also had the 6V. which is a sweet way to go if you decide to do so.
Just in there 2 weeks ago

My 2 cents. I very seldom pull much from the House bank, so I recently replaced the original group 31 batteries with "Duracell" group 27 from Sam's. $69 each, easy fit, and the only "deep cycle" 12 volts that I found with a 3 year warranty.

If I relied on house battery power more often, I would have gone for the 6 volt conversion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jim:

I presume I am looking at the back of the Microwave with the panel removed in the picture???

Thanks for all your help.

Regards PAM4

Tags
batteries