Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2003 Winnie Adventurer 35U, W-22 (2002).

My house batteries are not being charged off the engine while driving. Engine alternator is charging the chassis battery fine. Had to jump the house batteries from the engine battery to start generator. When generator is running, batteries charge. Checked all circuit breakers, ok, checked convertor, replaced 2 30 amp fuses, looked ok, but just to be sure. House batteries were replace as a pair 3 months ago with Group 27s (old one had a crack).

Any ideas, am on the road returning home from Quartzsite, AZ?

Thanks!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

2003 Winnie Adventurer 35U, W-22 (2002).

My house batteries are not being charged off the engine while driving. Engine alternator is charging the chassis battery fine. Had to jump the house batteries from the engine battery to start generator. When generator is running, batteries charge. Checked all circuit breakers, ok, checked convertor, replaced 2 30 amp fuses, looked ok, but just to be sure. House batteries were replace as a pair 3 months ago with Group 27s (old one had a crack).

Any ideas, am on the road returning home from Quartzsite, AZ?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Paul;
My prev 97 Adventure had that problem. I believe Winnebago uses a solenoid to charge the house batteries from the engine alternaror. My 03 Chieftain uses the same system. My solenoid failed. If you can locate it you can check if the solenoid is working by checking voltage on the input and output of the solenoid. Mine is located behind a pannel under the entry steps.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Bad house battery charging soleniod. Mine quit & had a new one installed at Lazydays two weeks ago. Don't know the cost since I only paid $50 deductible on extended warranty. My guess is about 150.

I took one look at that mess of BIG wires & figured it was way above my pay grade. But if you are electrically inclined.......

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would like to say this about charging house batts of engine alternator.
If your alternator is one of the lower amp out put models and you your house batts are very low on power you could fry your alternator or over work it trying to charge the house batts.
If you know the batts are low best to do what you did and start the gen and charge the house batts over frying the engine alternator.
If the house batts are are just a little low it probley would be ok to charge off the alternator but remeber you are making a double load on the alternators working ability.
Alternators may need to upgraded to handle the load, and always refer to the owners manual on this matter it should address it.

Doug

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:20 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Doug:
Appreciate your good thoughts on this issue. My house batts are fully charged before I go on the road, because I'm full-timing and always hooked to shore pwr.

However, other tech's have said that the alternator continuously puts a bulk charge to the house batts. Is that correct? If so, seems like the house batts could be boiled and/or overcharged. Particularly when I drive 8-9 hours. I use the 300W inverter to run my laptop for GPS navigation. Your (and anyone else) thoughts?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My '02 Winnie UA has the Intellitec Bi Directional Relay charge controller. The particulars can be found HERE. It will sense the house battery level and switch out the alternator when the charge reaches a certain level.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My older Winne has a rocker switch that is a single or mono and a dual setting that I must switch to bring house batts to the alternator side or switch back to mono to have only the start batt on the alternator, but yes your generator should be able to charge your house batts. I dont think you have this old style system on your newer RV but I am not sure.
However it most likely is a cylonoid that would bring your house batts in line with your engine batt. As for over charging your alternator most likely has a built in regulator to check the over charge of the house batts.
I am not so sure that the switch you used to get your generator to start may be the way you charge your house batts, when select the engine batt over to the house batts can you leave that switch in that position? That maybe to key to chargeing your house batts from the alternator, that is how it works on my old Winne.
Hope this helps!

Doug
====================================
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Doug:
Appreciate your good thoughts on this issue. My house batts are fully charged before I go on the road, because I'm full-timing and always hooked to shore pwr.

However, other tech's have said that the alternator continuously puts a bulk charge to the house batts. Is that correct? If so, seems like the house batts could be boiled and/or overcharged. Particularly when I drive 8-9 hours. I use the 300W inverter to run my laptop for GPS navigation. Your (and anyone else) thoughts?

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Guys for the info!

I just arrived home from Q-site and took a quick look, I see the panel on the steps where the solenoid is located behind. Will check it out in the next couple of days and post how I make out.

Again, thanks!

Old 03-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE:

I ordered the new charging solenoid from Winnebago Parts, received it in two days via a FedEx package. Cost $25.

Behind the circuit breaker panel just above the top step are two solenids, the one to the front is black in color, next to it (rear) is a silver solenoid. That was the defective unit.

Disconnected all batteries and it was just a few minutes to remove the old solenoid and install the new one. Reconnected the batteries, started engine and checked voltage at both sides and had correct charging voltage.

As additional information, the front (black) solenoid has a 5 amp fuse attached to it, not sure what that is for but will research it to find out. For my peace of mind, I stuck a new fuse in it while I had the panel open, I tested the fuse with an Ohm meter, it was good.

Thanks again to all for your help!

Best Regards!

Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Doug, I do you one better, I put a charger on the engine battery, and bring it up to
full charge before I bring it out of storage the first time ever yr. No need of abusing
the alternator, I hear they are expensive! TENN.VOL.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Hi -I'm so happy to have found this group. I own a 1997 Four Winds Hurricane by Thor. After reading everyone's comments, I see my coach has the same issue with the non charging if aux batteries. How foi find where my solenoid is? I have looked around the batteries and the front engine area, I don't see it. Any ideas in how I should go about finding this?

Thank you!
drywall.toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Switch the boost or AUX switch on and off and listen for it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced my Trombetta charge solenoid with the new silver contact solenoid offered by Trombetta as a replacement. Note that on mine you could here and feel the solenoid engage but it was not transferring the charge voltage. Pitted contacts I assume. The replacement was fairly easy and straight forward. Both your coach and chassis batteries are connected to this solenoid so make sure you disconnect your battery grounds before you remove and replace you solenoid. Then make sure you get ALL of your grounds reconnected. It was a good fix for the same issue of this post. You can check the coil (the small wires) for voltage when the engine is running to make sure it is the solenoid.
Also when working correctly the two large posts will have very close to the same voltage (Alternator output voltage ~14VDC) on them.
Rogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Drywall.toma,

:welcome:

Where are your batteries located?
My batteries are located under the stairs, the solenoids just above them.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
UPDATE:

I ordered the new charging solenoid from Winnebago Parts, received it in two days via a FedEx package. Cost $25.

Behind the circuit breaker panel just above the top step are two solenids, the one to the front is black in color, next to it (rear) is a silver solenoid. That was the defective unit.

Disconnected all batteries and it was just a few minutes to remove the old solenoid and install the new one. Reconnected the batteries, started engine and checked voltage at both sides and had correct charging voltage.

As additional information, the front (black) solenoid has a 5 amp fuse attached to it, not sure what that is for but will research it to find out. For my peace of mind, I stuck a new fuse in it while I had the panel open, I tested the fuse with an Ohm meter, it was good.

Thanks again to all for your help!

Best Regards!
The other solenoid is the Battery Disconnect Solenoid controlled by a switch near the steps and possibly also a switch on the dash.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote