Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

House batteries losing charge quickly

I have a 2007 Itasca Meridian 36G. I replaced the 3 house batteries last year because they were losing their power so quickly. It appears that it wasn't the batteries as much as something drawing on them when the coach is left parked and not in use. I can lose the full charge in about three days. I have checked that the inverter is off, the fridge is off, all lights are off. Still they go dead. At this point, I don't know where to look. Help please....!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you turning off the surround sound?

The steps get their power from the chassis battery so they are not the culprit.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

What do you mean by "surround sound?" No, I simply shut off the TV, the DirecTV box and the satellite antenna.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Three days does seem too fast to be just parasite power losses. Turn off the "AUX BATT" switch on the dash. That disconnects your coach batteries from the 12V grid and should block any parasite losses. If they still go down quickly, you have a least one bad battery even though they are almost new.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

What Tom said ^
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Only sure way is using a meter on 10 amp range and pull each DC fuse and bridge across with the meter leads to see if any current is flowing.
Given the cost of replacing yet another set of batteries, the few dollars spent on a reasonable meter is worth it.

using a DC current clamp tester is another way but meters sensitive enough tend to be reasonably expensive.

I suppose you are absolutely certain that the batteries are getting FULLY charged in the first place. Electrolyte SG or resting voltage are fairly accurate.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I am going on a weeklong trip beginning Thursday, but when I get back, I will try all the suggestions.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Only sure way is using a meter on 10 amp range and pull each DC fuse and bridge across with the meter leads to see if any current is flowing.

I was going to suggest that but Tony beat me to it. (SUPPORT).

if you do not have a meter, You can use a 12 volt low-current light bulb (Say a dash indicator lamp) put it in series with the battery, odds are it will light up. Start puling fuses till it goes dark.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Battery leak down

Our 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B had a problem with the batteries draining way too fast. After a lot of testing and consultation with WBGO and then the inverter manufacturer I was told that the inverter is still hard wired to the battery bank even when the coach battery disconnect switch was turned off.

A 600 amp Blue Sea battery disconnect switch was installed ( at my cost) to disconnect the inverter and now the batteries are holding their charge correctly.

I think the 2014 models have the switch installed by the factory.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thank you guys. I tried using the dash switch and shutting off the power too the batteries...it worked. I have left it parked now for two weeks and the batteries are still holding their charge. I have a hunch that like someone said, the inverter continues to draw power even after you stop using it. I will use the dash switch from now on when I store my coach.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTraveler View Post
Our 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B had a problem with the batteries draining way too fast. After a lot of testing and consultation with WBGO and then the inverter manufacturer I was told that the inverter is still hard wired to the battery bank even when the coach battery disconnect switch was turned off.

A 600 amp Blue Sea battery disconnect switch was installed ( at my cost) to disconnect the inverter and now the batteries are holding their charge correctly.

I think the 2014 models have the switch installed by the factory.
Our 2014 Journey 34 does not have this issue. I only have to turn off the coach switch at the door and all is good.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

It can help also if you equalize your battery bank every 6 months or so...many inverter/chargers are capable of this and your batteries will hold greater amount of amp hours as a result.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

A caution on equalizing- this should only be performed on flooded batteries ( ones that need the acid/water level maintianed). Equalizing will damage AGM batteries as well as the sealed batteries, commonly called VLRA batteries
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTraveler View Post
A caution on equalizing- this should only be performed on flooded batteries ( ones that need the acid/water level maintianed). Equalizing will damage AGM batteries as well as the sealed batteries, commonly called VLRA batteries

Actually Lifeline brand AGM batteries recommend a conditioning/equalizing charge be performed when it is suspected that the battery capacity is declining. They specify to fully charge the battery, and then to hold 15.5 volts constant for 8 hours.

Obviously this should not be performed every week.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

What exactly is "equalizing" and how do you do it...?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
What exactly is "equalizing" and how do you do it...?

What brand and type of batteries do you have? Picture helps also.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
Three days does seem too fast to be just parasite power losses. Turn off the "AUX BATT" switch on the dash. That disconnects your coach batteries from the 12V grid and should block any parasite losses. If they still go down quickly, you have a least one bad battery even though they are almost new.
On my MH that switch does not turn off the inverter/charger, it must be shut off by its own switch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Actually Lifeline brand AGM batteries recommend a conditioning/equalizing charge be performed when it is suspected that the battery capacity is declining. They specify to fully charge the battery, and then to hold 15.5 volts constant for 8 hours.

Obviously this should not be performed every week.
My Heart/Intellitic 3,000W unit says to only use equalizing function on flooded batteries.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My Heart/Intellitic 3,000W unit says to only use equalizing function on flooded batteries.

Here is the link to the lifeline AGM batteries owners manual.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/manual.php

Like I told the OP .... Not all AGM batteries are alike... Check what brand he has....but if it's lifeline then a conditioning charge may just be what he needs to bring his batteries back to original capacity.

Tags
batteries, house batteries