Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House batteries

I have 05 vectra, I'm going to switch my 3- 12 volt house batteries to 4 6-volt batteries, is there any thing I have to do on my inverter or any where else in the coach that needs attention?
Thanks T
Holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysmoke View Post
I have 05 vectra, I'm going to switch my 3- 12 volt house batteries to 4 6-volt batteries, is there any thing I have to do on my inverter or any where else in the coach that needs attention?
Thanks T
If there is a setting on your inverter/charger to enter the total amp hours of the you need to change that setting. Three 12V batteries are probably 240AH to 300AH. Four 6V would be around 400-400AH. As long as the new batteries are the same as the old, i.e. flooded cell or AGM, then no.
You do have to do some rewiring to make 2 pairs in series for 12V each and then each set in parallel. I am guessing you already know this.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

House batteries

Thanks for the come back ,I'm changing to 4- 6 volt Trojans, I believe that each one is 225ah so does that make 450ah or 900ah?
Old 06-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Old 06-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the come back ,I'm changing to 4- 6 volt Trojans, I believe that each one is 225ah so does that make 450ah or 900ah?
As Tucsontoy wrote, 450.
When you wire batteries in series you add up the voltage, the AH stays the same. When you wire batteries (as in your two pairs of 6V batteries in series for 12V) in parallel you add the AH, but the voltage stays the same.
The same goes for solar panels.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

House battery

Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks T
Holysmoke,
We have an almost identical sister ship to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. We've owned this coach now for over 7 years. It's wiring, batteries etc. are for the most part, identical to yours. Long story short, 6.5 years ago, I changed out my (3) 12V Interstate junk "marine/RV" batteries for (4) Costco Golf Cart 6V batteries. The fit is close but, all four fit in the battery tray with zero modifications. Now, while some would go nuts hearing this, I'm not worried about it. Due to the close proximity of the batteries to the sides, front and back, there are no clearances for creating battery hold-downs.

So, I don't have any. Well, like stated, some would have a heart attack not having their batteries tied down. They aren't GOING ANYWHERE! They weigh 67 lbs. each and are stuffed in there, where are they going? So, with all that being said. It was actually a very easy changeover. I had to create the battery interlink cables but, the original battery-to-coach cables fit perfectly. Anyway, here's some pictures of my compartment layout. If you have any questions, surely ask. By the way, do you still have the original "Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger"?
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	169781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	169782  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	169783  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Nice neat work. Just don't do a "Dukes of Hazard" jump with the rig and your batteries will be fine.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Smile response to the three battery question

Quote:
Thanks T
You already have an optimal solution with three batteries. Two in parallel and one in series. Parallel provides you with capacity and series provides you with voltage. Together, you have a very optimal battery hookup. Which is: sustained amps/capacity and assured voltage with series. Just add AGM batteries for durability and long life. No other changes are needed.
Today its popular to go with a series of 6 volt batteries. But just think; if one of them goes you are dead in the water. With your present hookup, if any of them goes, you can continue on very well.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie View Post
You already have an optimal solution with three batteries. Two in parallel and one in series. Parallel provides you with capacity and series provides you with voltage. Together, you have a very optimal battery hookup. Which is: sustained amps/capacity and assured voltage with series. Just add AGM batteries for durability and long life. No other changes are needed.
Today its popular to go with a series of 6 volt batteries. But just think; if one of them goes you are dead in the water. With your present hookup, if any of them goes, you can continue on very well.
Moonie

This doesn't make sense. Currently the OP has 3 12-volt house batteries in parallel. He's planning to switch to 4 6-volt batteries in series/parallel (that is 2 pairs of 6-volt batteries in series, making two large 12-volt batteries, and the pairs are connected in parallel with each other).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You got it correct. What is not shown is the quality and quantity of usable RV amp hours. He will have much more connected amp hours with four deep cycle golf cart batteries than three rv/marine batteries. Yes it it is possible to add the 12v deep cycle batteries but the batteries are so big they do not fit in most RV battery storage areas. And yes, there are 12v lithium available but are way too expensive. Therefore, the 4 6v batteries is a good option.

Tags
batteries, house batteries