Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House Batteries

Both the house and chassis batteries were new when we purchased our 04 Journey. Serviced them today. Two are reading 12 volts and one is reading 9.68. Would replacing the weak one be an acceptable practice, or is there a theory that all three should be change at the same time?

Also, what would cause one to discharge so much more than the others?

Thank You
Ron
Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Two are reading 12 volts and one is reading 9.68. Would replacing the weak one be an acceptable practice, or is there a theory that all three should be change at the same time?

12v is almost dead and 9.68 is dead. You have starting batteries and then you have house batteries. The rule is to replace all, of the same group at the same time if all of the batteries of the group are more than a year old.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
Both the house and chassis batteries were new when we purchased our 04 Journey. Serviced them today. Two are reading 12 volts and one is reading 9.68. Would replacing the weak one be an acceptable practice, or is there a theory that all three should be change at the same time?

Also, what would cause one to discharge so much more than the others?

Thank You
Ron

Ron,

So if I understand this correctly you have two 12 volt batteries connected in parallel in the house bank and one running the chassis, correct? Which one has the 9.68 volts? When did you purchase your '04, or to ask it more directly, how old are the batteries?

Also are you sure you have two 12 volt batteries in the house bank? Usually house banks are two 6 volt deep cycle batteries connected in series to give you 12 volts.

You also need to check the water level in each cell, are any plates showing?

What is the specific gravity of each cell?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

As indicated by the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for his coach, the OP should have 3 12V deep cycle batteries for the coach and 2 12V starter batteries for the chassis.

I'm guessing he's talking about his 3 coach batteries.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
As indicated by the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for his coach, the OP should have 3 12V deep cycle batteries for the coach and 2 12V starter batteries for the chassis.

I'm guessing he's talking about his 3 coach batteries.

Since the OP has not responded in the last 9 days, I assume that he either fixed the problem, or is no longer interested.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Imagine that, an OP that does not return to tell a remedy to a situation that THEY asked about. Hmmmm, that's odd.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I would never imagine an OP that did not follow up??? Haven't heard of that happening in the last 10 seconds.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

House Batteries

As the OP, I realize that I owe the membership an apology for my lack of manners. I was seeking a thoughtful exchange of knowledge and experience. I did not have a question which could be answered with a finite value or description.

#2's response was what I was expecting.
#3's not so much...a bit off base...the topic was "house batteries [I have 3 house batteries and 2 chassis batteries].
#4 Right on.
#5 I do not have a problem...looking for opinions. I'm reluctant to spend the money for 3 new house batteries when 2/3 of them are not so bad that they aren't doing the job.
#6 Not looking for a remedy, and none was offered. #2 did a fine job.
#7 Don't know what a proper follow-up would be, but I apologize for failing to provide one...this will have to suffice.

[Would have been interested in opinions re: the second question]

Ron
Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
As the OP, I realize that I owe the membership an apology for my lack of manners. I was seeking a thoughtful exchange of knowledge and experience. I did not have a question which could be answered with a finite value or description.

#2's response was what I was expecting.
#3's not so much...a bit off base...the topic was "house batteries [I have 3 house batteries and 2 chassis batteries].
#4 Right on.
#5 I do not have a problem...looking for opinions. I'm reluctant to spend the money for 3 new house batteries when 2/3 of them are not so bad that they aren't doing the job.
#6 Not looking for a remedy, and none was offered. #2 did a fine job.
#7 Don't know what a proper follow-up would be, but I apologize for failing to provide one...this will have to suffice.

[Would have been interested in opinions re: the second question]

Ron

Ron, maybe I read post #2 wrong, but all I see it does is quote exactly what you stated, I don't see any guidance given.

In order to get a "thoughtful exchange of knowledge and experience" more information is needed, like how old the batteries are. You state they were new when you purchased the coach, but you do not give insight as too when that purchase was, 2004 or yesterday?

It could be assumed all the batteries are the same age, but that is not necessarily true. You also need to determine if there is something wrong, like cells not properly cared for. I assume that is why you asked "Also, what would cause one to discharge so much more than the others". That could come from improper care, for example the water level not being maintained, a cracked case, or a defective battery.

IMHO, the key here is that posting should imply, as you state, an "exchange" of information. IRV2 members respond to postings because they wish to assist fellow RVers and expect the OP to also participate in a timely manner.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The original post was a bit confusing but with the follow up, it seems the problem battery is one of the 3 coach batteries.

Answering the question, if the batteries are fairly new and will hold a charge above 12 volts, then you might get away with replacing one. If the existing batteries are months/years old, then yes, i'd want to replace all three with three new ones manufactured in the same month.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

House Batteries

#2 responded to my [OP] post perfectly. Answered the question I asked...replace one battery or three?

The title of the thread was HOUSE BATTERIES. #3 starts talking about chassis batteries...questions the number of batteries I have, and their functions. And questions whether I have 12V or 6V batteries.

I was unaware that replies to each post were expected whether additional meaningful information was available or not.

I think this thread has run its course, and this will be my last post. I thank EVERYONE who posted.

Enjoy the day,
Ron
Old 07-26-2016, 12:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I'm going to need an aspirin from all this head banging.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

A response is not required, but, wouldn't you want to know if the problem is fix and if so how. Everyone is trying to help and we like to know if and how it was fixed. JMHO

Tags
batteries, house batteries