Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

thanks Ed, but the only issue in switching is to make sure the wiring is correct, right?
Scott provided the photos showing how the 6 volts in series; where would I get the proper cables
parmelee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Many marine supply or truck supply stores should have what you need.

You will need 1 short jumper between each set of 6Vs.

Going from 3, 12s to 4, 6s, you may already have some extras.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

so, there are no special cables needed; just as long as they fit? Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmelee81 View Post
thanks Ed, but the only issue in switching is to make sure the wiring is correct, right?
Scott provided the photos showing how the 6 volts in series; where would I get the proper cables
Yes, the 'only' issue is the wiring, but you made it sound like you thought you could just pull the 12v and put in the 6v. I wasn't sure you understood the wiring differences. Sorry if it sounded like I was jumping, but didn't want you to fry yourself or something.

Watch for the sensor wires in the back too... you'll have to get them reconnected properly.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Ed and others are definitely watching out for your protection, and the coaches protection here with their advice. The change out from the 12s to the 6s is not rocket science but, does take a bit of planning in multiple aspects. Total size of the tray is paramount. About 90% of the 6V golf cart batteries are pretty much the same size. The pics you see are around 5 years old.

Those batteries were starting to loose a bit of camping duration and, they were showing signs of "bulging". So, since we don't have a Costco here in Lake Havasu City, we recently went back to San Diego for a visit. And, while there, I cruised over to one of the many Costcos there and picked up, four more 6Vters.

The new ones fit exactly like the originals did, no issues what so ever. As for cables. I made up my own for the jumpers between the batteries. The original ones from the 12V Interstates to the coach, (and the Inverter/Charger)were re-used and, had no issues with length or fitment. The Inverter/Charger we had at the time of the first conversion was the Dimensions 2000 Watt Inverter/Charger. It, like the one we have now, a Magnum 2012ME MSW Inverter/Charger, has/had an adjustment on it for various types of house batteries and, charging effects and procedures.

Making up battery cables requires some tools that, the average DIY type doesn't have. So, three choices. One, acquire the tools and knowledge to do the job or, sub it out to a business of your choice to get it done or, look for what's needed at your local auto parts or specialty parts store for what you need. Take good measurements. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

thanks again Scott and believe me I appreciate everyone's help!!!
You said that the originals Battery cables will work so I should be good to go, right? Everyone, just has me a bit scared of frying my rig but if I follow the photos you provided it doesn't appear to be any issues???
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Scott, I misunderstood but I think I got it now,:coach to batteries cable is fine but will need battery to battery, is that correct? also, any idea of the gauge that I should use? Thanks so much
Perry
Old 01-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmelee81 View Post
Scott, I misunderstood but I think I got it now,:coach to batteries cable is fine but will need battery to battery, is that correct? also, any idea of the gauge that I should use? Thanks so much
Perry
Perry,
Even identical coaches built by the same manufacturer, can have minor differences in things like battery cable lengths. The coach builder NORMALLY will supply enough of the coach-to-battery cables to be able to handle minor changes in battery tray/setups. As stated, mine did with no issues. As for the gauge of wire for the Jumper cables in between the two sets, I used 1GA for that. While 1GA is quite a bit smaller than the leads from the batteries to the coach, they have worked flawlessly for the total time they've been in there.

And, I've used the house batteries to augment the starting of our coach, a CAT 330HP, once or twice when the chassis batteries were too low to crank that big beast and, every thing worked just great.

If you cruise around on the net by typing in "wiring 6 volt batteries for RV use" or, word it in any way that will bring up what you're looking for, you'll see the simplicity in the wiring. Again, it's not rocket science. There's lots of websites that show the wiring schedule and variations. IF you need assistance, PM me and I'd be very happy to help. You've got some good folks on here that have lots of this type of experience.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Hey Scott, getting close to finish line and really really appreciate your help and everyone help as well. If you're very in Palm Desert, look me up and drinks are on me. Went to storage lot this am; batteries fit perfectly! Thank you.
Wired series and then parallel but didn't not connect main cables from the coach as everyone has me somewhat worried about frying my rig. So, I want to send you a couple of photos and hopefully you can take me across the finish line (Don't know how, as images are not a link, just saved on computer) Basically, what I have is 2 main cables (red) from coach and than 2 main cables (black) and one connected smaller one (grey which is connected to black) so, do I just connect red to parallel positive and black parallel negative?
Thanks Perry

Tags
batteries, house batteries