Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House amp gauge only displays #'s on 30 amp.

My AC line amps display on my "Power Line" gauge on the system center only displays a number read out when hooked to 30 amp service. When hooked to 50 amp service the screen is blank/black. Has done this at several different RV parks and my polarity monitor says everything is a ok. Any ideas?

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Mine does the same thing . . . Perfectly normal.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yep, it's working as designed.

I think the technical reason has something to do with how the two 50amp lines share a common neutral and accurately measuring amperage would be very difficult. In addition, since 50 amp service actually is making 100 amps available to your coach... I guess the thinking is that it's not necessary to monitor usage on the panel.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Working fine.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ok

Thanks guys. I can sleep tonight.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

And to add one more fact. When running the generator, the Amperage Display will show how many AMPs are being used.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
My AC line amps display on my "Power Line" gauge on the system center only displays a number read out when hooked to 30 amp service. When hooked to 50 amp service the screen is blank/black. Has done this at several different RV parks and my polarity monitor says everything is a ok. Any ideas?
Tomtall,
In my humble opinion, it's NOT working as designed. Mine, and several other coaches I've been in, that are the same era/make/model/type, also display the "50" amp, when plugged into a 50 amp service. I do have one friend that has an '06 Meridian 36G that does display only 30 amps, even when he's plugged into a 50 amp service. He's asked me why mine displays 50 when his displays 30 and we're both plugged into 50? I don't have a clue as to what the correct answer is.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Yep, it's working as designed.

I think the technical reason has something to do with how the two 50amp lines share a common neutral and accurately measuring amperage would be very difficult. In addition, since 50 amp service actually is making 100 amps available to your coach... I guess the thinking is that it's not necessary to monitor usage on the panel.

Rick
Rick,
I'm by far, no expert on electricity and, on the electric side of these coaches but, just wondering, what "two 50 amp lines" are you talking about? There's only one cord and, it can plug into a 50 amp or, with the use of an adapter, can go into a 30 amp service. As I understand it, it's basically TWO, 125 VAC lines, being used in the Motor homes circuitry. One of them feeds one side and the other, feeds the other side. Are you saying that there's 50 amps in each leg of those 125V circuits?
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
That is the same display I, and many others we travel with show, when hooked up to 50 amps.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I suggest reading the Intellitec manual and I quote the manual below.

"the 50 amp service indicator on the Remote Display does not light with the vehicle plugged into 240 Vac, 50 amp shore power service."
Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

FIRE UP, Tell your friend to check his circuit breakers, the EMS is looking for 240VAC between the two power legs determine if the coach is connected to a 50 amp service. On some models the hot water heater breaker is one of he legs the EMS looks at for the 240VAC.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I suggest reading the Intellitec manual and I quote the manual below.

"the 50 amp service indicator on the Remote Display does not light with the vehicle plugged into 240 Vac, 50 amp shore power service."
Tom,
If that's the case, can they, or you, explain the picture above and, ours when we're plugged into a 50 amp service?
Scott
Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
FIRE UP, Tell your friend to check his circuit breakers, the EMS is looking for 240VAC between the two power legs determine if the coach is connected to a 50 amp service. On some models the hot water heater breaker is one of he legs the EMS looks at for the 240VAC.
I will advise him to look at the breakers. But, a question, if any of them are tripped, then wouldn't the item being serviced by that breaker be out of service?
Scott
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Tom,
If that's the case, can they, or you, explain the picture above and, ours when we're plugged into a 50 amp service?
Scott
When plugged into 50amps the AC amps load meter shows nothing.

The water heater, AC comp #2, fan speed and refrigerator are all lite because they all can be operated at the same time when on 50amps.
So, there is no need for any "load sharing".

-Tom
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Tomtall,
In my humble opinion, it's NOT working as designed. Mine, and several other coaches I've been in, that are the same era/make/model/type, also display the "50" amp, when plugged into a 50 amp service. I do have one friend that has an '06 Meridian 36G that does display only 30 amps, even when he's plugged into a 50 amp service. He's asked me why mine displays 50 when his displays 30 and we're both plugged into 50? I don't have a clue as to what the correct answer is.
Scott

Rick,
I'm by far, no expert on electricity and, on the electric side of these coaches but, just wondering, what "two 50 amp lines" are you talking about? There's only one cord and, it can plug into a 50 amp or, with the use of an adapter, can go into a 30 amp service. As I understand it, it's basically TWO, 125 VAC lines, being used in the Motor homes circuitry. One of them feeds one side and the other, feeds the other side. Are you saying that there's 50 amps in each leg of those 125V circuits?
Scott

That is the same display I, and many others we travel with show, when hooked up to 50 amps.
Scott
I think there's some confusion about what is and isn't lighting up on 50 amp service. The photo displays a properly operating system connected to 50 amp service. What is NOT lit up in the pic is the specific number of amps actually being used. THAT's the issue being discussed here.

Yes, the single 50 amp power cord contains two hot legs... each carrying 120v at 50 amps giving a 50 amp coach an available 100 amps of service.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I will advise him to look at the breakers. But, a question, if any of them are tripped, then wouldn't the item being serviced by that breaker be out of service?
Scott
Yes, if a breaker is tripped the item controlled by that would be out of service.

Looking at the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch diagram for the 2006 Meridian 36G (and assuming that he has the 2000W inverter), the diagram on page 5 seems to indicate (via Note /8\) that the breaker labelled 'DISHWASHER / FIREPLACE' (rightmost 15A breaker in main box) needs to be on for the EMS to function properly (even though I see no option in the 2006 Meridian Brochure for either a dishwasher or fireplace in this model!).

If he doesn't have the 2000W inverter I'm guessing the relevant breaker would still be the rightmost one, a 20A labelled 'WATER HEATER / FIREPLACE', although I don't see a specific note in the diagram to that effect.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
The point being by GRTHARRIS is that the EMS needs to "sense" voltage on both sides of the AC line. All of the circuitry for the Intellitec system is located in the main breaker panel. Two "sense" leads are run to different breakers - one on each side of the line.

I had a problem with my Intellitec system showing me on 30 amp service when I knew I was on a 50A service. In my Journey, the sense lead for one side of the 50a service is connected to the circuit that only has the outlet for the Engine Block Heater. In the summer, I decided that that breaker could be turned off as I would not need to use the Block heater. That was when I saw 30A service instead of 50A however I was not smart enough to relate it to the turned off breaker at the time. It was only after I checked all the Intellitec connections in the main breaker panel that it became clear why the display was showing 50 amps.

I apologize for the long explanation as to why all breakers should be turned on if you are seeing 30A on the Intellitec when you know you are on 50. GRTHARRIS' explanation was much more concise!!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote