Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hot ceiling ights in Galley and reading lights in bedroom

In my 2008 Journey 39Z, the 2 small, barrel like lights in the galley and the reading lights in bedroom get very hot after being on a few minutes. Is this a bulb issue? Appreciate any recommendations on changeout.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can probably find LED bulbs that are direct replacements. There should be a number on the base of the bulb, or, if not you should be able to match the type of base. I believe that your's are probably a standard, single bottom contact bayonet base, so something like this should work:

https://www.amazon.com/Eiko-LED-12-D...21122040&psc=1
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Probably G4 bi-pin halogens. Super hot burning. I recommend LED replacements from M4 Products, as they have excellent quality and should one go out, they will replace it without question.

Expensive but worth it, not like the cheap junk on the market.

M4 LED Products
Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4weekends View Post
In my 2008 Journey 39Z, the 2 small, barrel like lights in the galley and the reading lights in bedroom get very hot after being on a few minutes. Is this a bulb issue? Appreciate any recommendations on changeout.
Those are 10 watt filament bulbs, yes it is normal for them to get hot. As noted you can convert them to LED and they will generate the same amount of light with about 10% of the heat and power used. When you convert you'll want to get "warm" LED to match the filament bulb light. LED come if a pure white light color too , depending on your preference.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Those are 10 watt filament bulbs, yes it is normal for them to get hot. As noted you can convert them to LED and they will generate the same amount of light with about 10% of the heat and power used. When you convert you'll want to get "warm" LED to match the filament bulb light. LED come if a pure white light color too , depending on your preference.
Which is most of the reason I went with M4. They have cool white (bluish), warm white (yellowish) and natural (no real color to distinguish). I went with the natural and have been quite happy. Many sellers of LED's only offer warm or cool, and natural seems to be not as common, and harder to locate.

For the ceiling lights I used the plate lights offered by M4 as they are two layers, an aluminum plate with the LED and is spaced off of the driver circuit board under it so they run cooler. Yes, LEDs do generate heat, just not like filament bulbs.

Have done this in both the View I had, and the travel trailer I have now.

Charles
Old 10-04-2019, 05:02 AM   #6
CoveredWagon

I replaced almost all of my interior and exterior lighting with LEDs. Not because of the heat so much, but to reduce energy consumption. I frequently boondock and want my batteries to last as long as possible! I also changed my brake and turn signals to LED because I was blowing fuses every time I hooked up my toad or trailer. Just 2 extra 1157 bulbs were too much for my 2005 Sightseer's tail light fuse!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, light, lights